Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Copyright?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2003 03:03
hey, i've heard copyrights cost money, is this ture? or if u make something for urself, is it automatically copyrighted for you, whats ther deal with copyrights???

You did what? For who?! For how many jellybeans?!?
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2003 03:23
I think I'll start compiling a post with everything about copyrights, that we can sticky.
I don't know whether I should tell you to search google, and spend hours and hours of time like I did, or to tell you to talk to a lawyer.(a lawyer experienced in game development of course)

My advice.
Don't worry about copyrights until you've got something finished.

If you do have something finished, or about to be finished.
http://www.technomagi.com/links/gamedev.html

Good luck.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
Dr OcCuLt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2003 03:25
if you make some thing like a book or a game you have automatically copyrights over it you do`t have to pay you just have to make it in some way to say it`s your.

you can pay to regter a copyrights but this just make it easyer if some one bracks it.

--Dr 0--
Newbie Brogo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2003 04:00
ok, i've got a basic idea, i get copyrights on the media ect. we make with our game, or i can register it and do some other stuff to protect for $20. i might trademark our compny, if i find out its free to trademark.

Newbie Brogo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2003 04:03
dang... too much $$ to trademark

CloseToPerfect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2003 07:42
You can self copyright, send yourself a cd with the source, the final version and all media, anything relating to it. The postmark is a legal proof of date in court. whatever you do, never open it, as the seal will have to be confirmed in court. If anyone claims rights to your creation they will have to show something to predate your postmark and the time stamps on the files on the cd. This is a legal means of copyrighting and how alot of poets and short story writers copyright their meterial.

CTP
Newbie Brogo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2003 01:27
so, is it legal to post: copyright 2003 [company name] on a CD case? or a product, or installation program, ect. If it was you who made it by scratch?

the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2003 02:50
I don't see that would be a problem.

Bear in mind that in order for copyright to be affective you have to be able to pursue and take action against anyone who breaks it. For most of the people here that means that copyright is not something to worry about, just include a copyright notice and hope not too many people ignore it because if they do there is very little you can do about it.

The best means of protection is not copyright but making sure people don't get hold of the copyrighted material unless they should.
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2003 02:59
The mailing work to yourself in the post copyright is a myth, for the simple fact that there's no way to prove the envelope wasn't opened and something new added later on. There's nothing to stop me leaving my envelope unstuck, posting it to myself empty, getting the post mark, waiting 10 years for the newest commercial chart topper to be released, sliding a copy in on CD, sealing the envelope and claiming its my work.

The basic process is: If someone rips you off, you take them to court and you have to prove you created it/had it first. You automatically own the copyright.

The best way to prove it is to register it through official channels, but sometimes you don't have to. For example, with my music, I am the only person in the world who has the original music source files, so if I was ever ripped off, I'd imagine that would be proof enough in court of my ownership of the music. You never know - one day I might find out.

Insiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide!
Newbie Brogo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2003 05:11
ok... cool.. i guess... mabey my other members can take people to court with our source code, i'm not, i'll just sit here at home.

Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2003 14:34 Edited at: 13th Sep 2003 14:37
actualy you can post/take a copy to a law company and ask them to hold it with a record of the date of delivery for a (relativley) small fee, and you can copyright something by proof of date of existance, for that you need to have some witnesses hold the documentation and an original of the scource/media etc while you photograph them and then show them the software running, remind them to remember and verify the date as well, you must not pay them for doing this and they must not be relatives IIRC, you also need their addresses, then if you do get the software or the idea stolen you can just produce the photo`s and the witnesses to prove it was yours, I think in England you need three witnesses for proof in court, I never used this though since I never made anything that is that good , or you could get lucky and have it shown on TV as part of the regional news or something, that would be proof enough, same for the papers if the description was detailed enough.

Mentor.
8truths
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2003 08:58
http://www.law.washington.edu/casrip/newsletter/newsv5i2us2.html

Sending it to yourself does not hold up in court. That is a total urban myth, and ignores the ease of tampering.

In the US, copyrights are about $20 a pop, depending on what the material in question is (some, like images, get a bulk rate).

You have a copyright the minute you make a work.

However, a registered copyright entitles you to automatic, per infraction statutory damages to the order of $500 to $20,000. This is why it is not a bright idea to mess with copyright. Try one million copies at a clip of $500.

This is also why your $20 is an investment.

If you do not register, you are required to prove real damages (in other words, you must prove the value damages caused by each infraction).

Just register, if you think what you have is worth anything.

I admire your honesty. Hell, I like you; you can come over to my house and ---- my sister!
=C=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2003 20:02
When a List is compiled please have in mind that not all countries work the same.

The "poor man's copyright" is not enough of a proof. And do you know what you might have to deal with? lawyers...

So you need a lawyer yourself.

The other thing you need to be carefull about is patents and this is a different kettle of fish!

Because IT and Programing is engineering, it is a bit different than a writter or a poet. You might sell a game, like tetris. Well. You can't. the mechanism of tetris and the way ti works is petented. So you need to invent new ways to make it work...

-------------------------------
Pointy birds, Oh pointy pointy
Anoint my head, Anointy 'nointy
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2003 23:30
Yes, unfortaunetly I only have one good link(see my first post). Probebly just try to get some information about U.S.A copyrights, and have someone compile a UK one. Really, the best advice I can give, is too get a lawyer experienced in game design, marketing, business, and those kinds of things.(Arrange a meeting with them if you're truly ready. Shouldn't cost a $, or too much.)

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
Newbie Brogo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2003 01:43

8truths
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2003 08:29
Hey, but everyone overlooks the charming stupidity of US laws regarding computer progs.

For example, an algorithm is supposed to be patented.

There is no Supreme Court ruling on the copyrighting of software. Everything comes from lower courts. How 30 years of an industry being as visible as software, and yet ewssentially escaping the supreme court, is beyond me.

Several of the lower courts have actual leaned toward saying ALL computer programs should be patented. But, the majority say copyright, and then never really back it up.

Color schemes, fonts, etc. should be trademarked.

Oddly enough, if someone totally rips off your game idea, but does it in another computer language and repackages it under a slightly different name, the usual copyright protections do not kick in!

This always seemed strange to me, because if you make a close resemblance of a literary work, you can get the hell kicked out of you.

Copyrights on computer programs are practically worthless against other entities that rip off your ideas. Ever since MS won its ruling over Apple, and Apple won its ruling over Xerox, even the trademark rulings are a joke.

The only reason the copyright is of value is in pursuing people who are illegally copying your software outright, and not modifgying it at all.

Otherwise, it serves no purpose.

I admire your honesty. Hell, I like you; you can come over to my house and ---- my sister!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 12:47:52
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 12:47:52