Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Creating a boardgame

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I am new to DBPro and want to create a boardgame based on an old boardgame that I have. Where to start?

I read the screen scroll tutorial and went through it. I guess it was done right, though the results weren't what I expected.

Any help is appreciated as in making pieces, dealing with card decks, position on board, etc...

Just point me to examples.

Thanks.
Teh Stone
Years of Service
User Offline
First off what sort of game are u making and second and second is it 2d or 3d?
tiggerkat
Years of Service
User Offline
It is 2d.

The game is Summit, and this link best explains it:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1727/summit

Hopefully will be able to include both play against computer and hotseat/LAN play.
tiggerkat
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok...to clarify.

The game is played on a map of the world similar to Risk.

Players have pieces they can place on the board such as mills, factories and military bases.

So let's start with that..how should I do the map and how can I get it so players can place their pieces in the proper places?
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2010 15:40
How much programming experience do you have? You say you are new to DBPro, but have you programmed with anything else?

You only joined yesterday, so as you are new to DB/3D programming, we are not going to be able to answer your question as it would actually be tantamount to teaching you how to program.

That's something you are going to have to learn yourself.

It's like joining a mechanics forum and in your first post, asking how to change an engine!

Having a goal - like your board game is fine. Just don't expect to write it as your first project, it's doomed to fail.

You need to start at the bottom of the ladder, learn the basics - including 2D (which will help believe it or not), strings, game logic and all the other elementary stuff - building up to your 3D board game goal. Be warned though, this won't happen overnight.

If you are new to programming, you'll find the basics covered here:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=99497&b=10

Tutorials 1 to 4 are for absolute beginners.

TDK

NightX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2010 13:13
It says i joined 2009. but that's when i posted my first forum. on my profile it said I joined in 2008. my other old account said i joined on 2008 but i joined like.. 2005 or 2006 or something...

dodgy??

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 14:25:37
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 14:25:37