Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / ATTN: TGC - Questions about DarkGDK's Future...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm just wondering if there will be a WIN64 compatible version, or for that matter, how about DEBUG and UNICODE version libraries?

I admit that I have recently purchased the Dark-Game-Studio Bonanza - with no regrets, mind you; it's worth the price regardless of DarkGDK's future (in my opinion); if for nothing else, than the tools you offer with it, namely: DarkAI, DarkLights, DarkPhysics, Cartography Shop, Plant Life, DarkShader, DarkVoices and DarkMatter!

However, I've been following these boards for a couple of years now, and it appears to me that, besides DarkBasic Professional (understandably, your flag-ship product), there has been minimal updates to the other product offerings. Are the GDK's days numbered? That is, the .NATIVE variety? Personally, I don't care for .NET anything!

I must admit, you support far more "3rd party" products than your license agreement would lead one to believe. In fact, I myself hope to be a “TGC partner”, for a DarkGDK product offering! But, I wonder about the likelihood of the GDK's existence next year or even five years from now; understanding that technology is always changing – I look no further than five years from now.

Perhaps you may be able to provide *some* insight into the future of the GDK for all of us?

Respectfully,
JTK
Isocadia
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, before they continue, they should make this version work. Update the documentation and fix alot of problems with alot of their commands ( people complaining that they are slow or cause memory leaks etc. ). After that they could start thinking about newer versions. Or make a working new version. But right now it has alot of problems.

Isocadia

Bran flakes91093
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2010 17:36
Well, DarkGDK 7.4 beta has been out almost 7 months (GASP) with little attention from TGC since, and like Isocadia said, it still has many problems. Since it is free for non-commercial use, you cannot expect too much though; DBP will understandably have higher priority.

Success = Determination * Mood;
Isocadia
Years of Service
User Offline
But still, they havent even officially released the fix for the not showing objects. You need to scroll down that entire thread to find it.

Aldur
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2010 19:37
I just tried that fix as I just updated to 7.4 and it still doesn't work for me.

The support for GDK is somewhat lacking.

Isocadia
Years of Service
User Offline
What I am kinda wondering, alot of engines are being written with GDK even though it doesn't fully work. So how come instead of DOSP people have not decided to get together and write a new wrapper. One that works and like that you could add existing library's instead of making crappy ones yourself ( like GDK native collision and sparky's one ).

Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2010 09:06
hey hey..maybe darkGDK lacks support, but it is still an amazing wrapper

Isocadia
Years of Service
User Offline
It is an amazing wrapper, but it could have been done alot better ( while looking at bugs and slow commands ). So maybe in the near future somebody will get sick of this and pull a team together and make a new fully functional wrapper. I'm not saying GDK is not good, but it could have been alot better.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2010 10:30
Quote: "So how come instead of DOSP people have not decided to get together and write a new wrapper. One that works and like that you could add existing library's instead of making crappy ones yourself ( like GDK native collision and sparky's one )."

Not sure what you mean by other libraries, do you mean make some master wrapper that wraps GDK, OGRE, Irrlicht, etc? Or one that wraps GDK as well as other things like sparky's lib? If it's the latter then many do, it's just that GDK is basically DBPro in C++ form, this however isn't a good way to use C++.

As for the former, there's no point, GDK is written very badly from a C++ standpoint and other popular game/graphics libraries aren't, so there's usually no need to wrap them.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2010 10:49
Quote: "What I am kinda wondering, alot of engines are being written with GDK even though it doesn't fully work. So how come instead of DOSP people have not decided to get together and write a new wrapper. One that works and like that you could add existing library's instead of making crappy ones yourself ( like GDK native collision and sparky's one )."

Dosp is using GDK as its what we know I suppose, I have started wrapping DirectX in the past and done O.K but you eventually come to the startling realisation that it is a huge task and DarkGDK isn't so bad after all lol.

Everyone on dosp is learning, maybe one day we will have enough people with enough skills to take on wrapping DirectX, at the moment I would say it is a little beyond us, you need very good knowledge of C++ and 3D math at minimum.

Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2010 11:10 Edited at: 22nd Feb 2010 11:13
yeah, to make a directX wrapper, we need 5 math teachers and 5 dark coders

anyway, if any of us was good enough to use native directX, he wouldn't have been here, dont get me wrong, but why are most of you here? a starting point to start with directX, probably, am i right?

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2010 11:20
Quote: "yeah, to make a directX wrapper, we need 5 math teachers and 5 dark coders"

Maths teachers? And I would be a bad candidate for being writing a D3D wrapper seeing as I've never written an application using the COM and have only done brief D3D coding.

Quote: "anyway, if any of us was good enough to use native directX, he wouldn't have been here, dont get me wrong, but why are most of you here? a starting point to start with directX, probably, am i right?"

Because wrapping D3D is a waste of time in 99% of cases, there are loads of libraries out there that do things very well and of those, many have licences that allow you to modify the code, so make that 99.99%. I only moved to GDK because I previously only knew DBPro(and HLSL) so I didn't have to start with crappy console programs, and I'm only using GDK now because I want to eventually make at least one commercial project using it(I've spent many years using DBPro and never sold a game after all).

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2010 11:36
Quote: "anyway, if any of us was good enough to use native directX, he wouldn't have been here, dont get me wrong, but why are most of you here? a starting point to start with directX, probably, am i right?"

For me it was a starting point for C++, like dark coder said, this is DBPro in C++ form and I suppose once my C++ reaches a certain level I will move on to an engine which can take real advantage of this.

I would consider wrapping DirectX in the future, but only if I was part of a good team.

Marsh0
Years of Service
User Offline
In my personal opinion Dark GDK is a amazing way to learn c++ and get really fast results. This makes you happy with your work and continue instead of going slowly and getting frustrated. Then once you have a good understanding of the language you may move on if you so wish. Its a great starting point and if nothing else you are gaining experience in programming.

All that time spent learning wasnt a waste if you move to a new library.

http://www.touchofdeathproductions.com
marlou
Years of Service
User Offline
DarkGDK is good to use if you start from Dbpro.

Irrlicht would be good if you want compression and encryption. But it lacks support for shader. It lacks support for sounds and networking. Irrlicht is a good C++ wrapper for Directx and openGL.

Id personally recommend Ogre3D as it has faster 3d rendering and better shader support. It has good paging support for rendering many models. If only it has good 2d image and sprite support, Id use it. Wait, There's Ogremagic for 2d sprite. Hmm. Ogre3d is good too.

But start off with DarkGDK as its very easy to use.

You only need to wrap libraries for scripting.

When a person has nothing but a dream, can he dare to dream.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-05 16:18:22
Your offset time is: 2024-10-05 16:18:22