Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Weird observation in Pro

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2003 17:30
I don`t think its a bug so I will just post it here, I have a dual monitor setup, monitor one (the main monitor) is on a AGP card (GeForce4MX) and monitor 2 is on a SiS Mentor PCI card (max 16bit colour), I have just written some code that runs through a 3.8mb csv file and loads the data into a typed array (well...all the data I want anyway), the program is compiled to run in a window, while it is in the second monitor screen (the SiS powered screen) it can extract about 4 files per second, if I put it into the main screen it can manage over 1000 files a second, if it`s in the second screen the pc is lagged to the gills, almost too slow to type this post, if I put it in the first screen theres a just a little bit of lag, just what is going on here? how can displaying an app that is extracting data moved into the second monitor slow down to stupidly slow, while the same app in the main screen is way faster?, since when has fps had anything to do with reading a file off the hard drive?, the SiS card benchmarks a bit slower than a TNT2 so you wouldn`t expect this, certainly, when I put the Seti@home app into the second screen it doesn`t slow down worth a jot, weird is what it is weird!

Mentor.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2003 20:52
I dont think DBPro is setup for dual monitors, which could be the trouble.

Avatar & Logo by Indi. Come to the UK DBPro Convention in Chichester
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2003 21:50
it must be able to run on a multimonitor setup, or why these commands?

perform checklist for graphics cards
set graphics card

I tried compiling it to run on the SiS card but it just runs full screen on the main display (set graphics card appears not to work), not what I wanted at all, the setup works fine with every other program and game I have, how come DB is ALWAYS the exception?

Mentor.
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2003 21:55 Edited at: 12th Sep 2003 21:56
[edit]You beat me to it Mentor [/edit]

Mentor, I don't have a dual card system, so you'll have to try this yourself ...

SET WINDOW OFF
PERFORM CHECKLIST FOR GRAPHICS CARDS
SET GRAPHICS CARD CHECKLIST STRING$(1)
WAIT KEY
SET GRAPHICS CARD CHECKLIST STRING$(2)
WAIT KEY
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2003 22:28
yeah! I cut`n`pasted the section from the help example and then tried to get it to use the SiS card, but it just goes onto the GeForce card instead, all the code is doing is displaying some text, so it totaly puzzles me as to what it is doing that changes it from 1000+ files per second to 3 or 4 just by putting the window on the other monitor, it`s something to do with the screen refresh because if I cut out any printing to the screen and remove the syncs the speed apparently comes back, yet it still is a processor hog, it slows the rest of the system down even when the screen isn`t being refreshed, put it back in the main window and it`s back to speed, maybe it`s cos the SiS isn`t a DX9 card, but all my other software can run fine on that screen, and I don`t see why it affects the execution speed massivley, still, everything works fine as long as DB has the main display, cheers.

Mentor.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 12:43:44
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 12:43:44