Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / News, Bad News.

Author
User Banned
Posted: 23rd Feb 2010 07:03
News : i am currently working on the game models in Blender.
going good so far.

Bad News: im moving out guys , sorry.
but the lack of updates from TGC about DarkGDK
makes me angry , to know that if i'll want to use DirectX
10 or 11 (windows 7) , is not possible cause of still
using DirectX Aug 07 , this makes me sad , to see so
much potential in one place , and to see that the
creators have possibly givven up on the project.
and yes i know i can work directly with directX , but
i want to work and not to learn how to work...

in conclusion , im moving to a new Render , called
Ogre3D , you have probably heard about.
i dont want to diss TGC , so i will end it here.
though you should check it , Ogre3D.org.

sorry to dissapoint you guys.
to all the friends in the forum , keep up to good work.

Nadav
entomophobiac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2010 07:46
Just out of curiosity, what do you need DX10/11 for?
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2010 09:46
Quote: "but
i want to work and not to learn how to work..."
?

Good luck. I've been traveling down this road for nearly 2 decades. Take my advice: find a Development Platform/Framework you like and stick with it, otherwise you will never complete anything.

Cetobasilius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2010 12:17 Edited at: 23rd Feb 2010 12:26
thats sad. i was thinking the same thing today, but not because of that... because direct x limits you to windows... but i decided i dont need my progs to run on other OS... lol... go figure XD... btw... you can use newer DirectX sdks by using a phony multiplayer lib or something like that... search the forums

EDIT: did the search myself here is the link: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=149737&b=22 hope that cheers you up :p

i thought about ogre too... it can use openGL... i know directx 10 is way faster and has less limitations... anyway, good luck

hi
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 23rd Feb 2010 14:52
entomophobiac:

directX 10/11 the first thing that comes to mind is:
the bug fixes / patches / updates / better perfermance
new features that will come with the next generartion of the new
Nvidia Series that will include better Physics and Fluid
Simulations.

the use of Windows 7 over Xp..
CrossPlatform Xbox360 uses Directx 10 i think.

well not only that but
the Memory Leaks of DarkGDK and you know what
just the idea , that we cannot get an answer about anything from its creators , like is it soo terrible that one of TGC guys that were on the DARKGDK project can answer some question once a week or once in two weeks ...

i guess i dont need to explain more...

and you can also say , if youre like that then why dont you learn DirectX development instead of all of this .. well
Ogre and DarkGDK same as XNA is a faster way of doing thing
and still do it with fast performance.

TechLord : you are totally right !
i actually really LOVE darkGdk, but you and me both know that the limitations of it , can do no harm on a small project but on a big one..
Plus , i dont know why but still i think that Ogre is pretty fency and have every little thing inside it that makes it tick just a bit faster then Dark's , its just a feeling.
what you said , really made we wonder.. but im feeling that i need to do it , maybe i'll even comeback.. to Dark i wont leave the forum but who knows

Cetobasilius:
ty ! i will need it !!!
it takes some times to get to know a new thing.
entomophobiac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2010 15:07
There are updates in newer versions of DX, for sure, but in the end, I can't think of a single thing that would make or break a project. Any project. Some more shine, most definitely, but a game that is written well shouldn't be too difficult to switch over to something else.

The Xbox360 uses its own build of DirectX that is native to its specific hardware. It's not the same as anything else (although very similar to PC architecture), and to work with it as a hobby developer, you can only use XNA from what I understand.

Anyway, I think it should work like this: prototype in something you know, show it to people that may want to help, then build it in something proper. Either that, or spend the coming ten years learning to do it "from scratch."

There is so much work involved in making a "big one," that the shader model supported and GPU instructions available becomes a tertiary priority, at the most.

The GDK is far from perfect. It's quite honestly really broken. But for my own prototypes, I still use it. And for a very simple reason: it's a complete system and it can handle the kind of prototypes I want to write in a few weeks instead of months or years.
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 23rd Feb 2010 15:57
well ogre community offer every little thing DarkGdk is offering
i cant tell if its better or worse.. but it does keep up with the new Technolegy , its user data base is really large and its an Open-Source.

again im not dissing DarkGDK in anyway except for the obvious that i mentioned above, i love Dark , you dont know cause i didnt said it , but i had some rough times this and last year , and when i started with XNA i got so confused , then i moved to Dark and damn after 1 week i had a game running with many bugs and glitches and some idiotic Coding by me ... but , it was a game i created using DarkGDK , i love Dark again and again.. but i cant honestly said that i will keep with it when i know that the Tech will stay as it is and no TGC member is willing to help or just even say "Hi" .

why should me or any other DarkGDK member wait for a commuinity help when the Creators sits just 1 step away at other sections of the forum (DarkBasicPro) and dont get me wrong i do understand that DBP is a paid product therefor the Creators answer the forums.

so they leave us guessing and braking our head for an answer , and again dont take me wrong , this Section in the forum is awesome , there are alot of people who make amazing stuff here , i really felt in love with this place i even wrote what im doing like a blog feeling this place is like a family
really touchy huh?

well what im saying is :

i will not in any way leave the forum and may from time to time code with the DarkGDK

but i want more then it , i want more tutorials , i want more help understanding the actuall Code behind the Code therefor understanding the procces of how it works and how can i fix it and not always asking for help . does it make sense? i think it is.

Ogre does offer that, big Community , alot of released games
its creators always on the forum building new Addons and Plugins and all for free (well most of them ) .

yeah , DarkGDK make it all happend real fast , in one or two weeks you can see and feel the progress
but real fast isnt always the best way, and sometimes taking the shirt cuts just make the final destination further away from where you are, this is whay i feel about DarkGDK, sorry if it makes anyone sad or something i know it makes me sad , cause with so much potential for easy learning - curve and fast developing but with many bugs, and some bugs cannot be fixed cause of lace of maintance over the project itself (the game creator).

well nough said.
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 23rd Feb 2010 16:10
Quote: "
There is so much work involved in making a "big one," that the shader model supported and GPU instructions available becomes a tertiary priority, at the most.
"

true but not true.

lets say it takes 3 years to build something superb
but then , cause the lack of Update or Patches
you need to convert everything into a new FrameWork that does
posses the new Updates and Techs

you are so fammiliar with the old framwork , that now you have to learn the new one , and that after 3 years of one thing , may take a lot of times saying nothing about bugs and fixes that you are not fammiliar witht the new framework.
so its another year just to learn the new framework, and yes you can make an SUPER algo that convert everything into the new framework but still... you need to learn it.

now if you start with a framework like XNA that you know
1. it have all the feature the Xbox360 contain
2. it updates rapidly
3. there is no New Tech cause its just for the Xbox360

in this case it will still take 3 years to build the SuperB game you desire , but after 3 years you start working on marketing and releasing the product, you dont wait another year converting.

and if we take Ogre3D ,
1. large community
2. mass of free plugins and addons
3. rapid updates with the New Techs (from the actuall vendors
since its an Open-Source with a decent popularity)
4. no need to convert.

for me its good logic , to turn now before getting too fammiliar only with dark , and who knows maybe i wont like ogre at all and TGC will decide , "guys , from now on , we will update as much as we can , we not promising anything but our time" and i will comeback.

this is actually pretty hard for me to do , i love Dark but like any good thing in life , sometimes one needs to follow his logic and not heart.

so about the shaders.. i think you are wrong , also dont forget the shaders take decent amounts of FPS , and after your project is done and now suddenly after converting and writing beatiful shaders with the new framework your FPS just drop , now what you do?

maybe in not the best self explained man , but i feel its a good thing for me to do .

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-05 16:21:44
Your offset time is: 2024-10-05 16:21:44