Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / I've made a ball moving on a matrix, planning to sell it...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2003 19:54
This is the new style of most dbpro users.
Fashinated by easy gains, they develop a poor game and wonder to make it commercial.
It's wrong to broke dreams of noobie programmers, but you must stay with your feet on the ground.
I haven't see a game of DBPRO can be commercial, maybe starwraith series.
A lot of fine example of programmation, yeah.
I've read some users complain for alienwarecompo 'cause take out the possibility to be commercial at their games.
Wake up... if the game can be commercial, don't enter in the compo and sell your game.
Else, make happy if you gain some prizes in this compo.
have you see all the games in the shop and in the general stores, they are very good and they rest in the shelfes, why a game like "a ball on the matrix" must be a bestseller??? only in the dream of its own developer.

Just an opinion.Nothing personal.

Free Download for a Free World
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2003 20:12
True, but it is fun to point and laugh at overly ambitious people.

Insiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide!
Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2003 20:13
to be ambitious is good.To be away from real world, isn't good!

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2003 20:25
Exactly. I plan to be so filthy stinking rich that I could rent the Queen for a day and get her to do my laundry, but I'm following less ambitious steps to get me to my ultimate goal.

I personally believe watching the queen iron my boxer shorts is more probable than someone selling a game where a ball rolls around on the matrix (even if it made comedy fart noises when it bounced).

Damokles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2003 20:42
I am programming since I am 8 yo, and I never saw any money for it. And I have to say it : I don't want it !
I think there are 2 more important rewards for a programmer :
- To see that we were able to make it.
- To know that people are enjoying using our program

"Begin at the beginning, and go on till you come to the end: then stop." - Lewis Carroll
Pricey
Years of Service
User Offline
same here

My programs don't crash... your computer does

http://johnsgamesuk.topcities.com
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2003 23:01 Edited at: 12th Sep 2003 23:01
How old are you guys??? Money is far more important than that! The only people who say those things are more important are the people who have money in the first place.

You wait till you're programming out of a card board box with a stolen bra wrapped around your neck for warmth, and then tell me money comes in last place!

People who say money comes last are the same people who say personality comes before looks, being overweight doesn't impair the way you judge someone, and you'd rather give and see someones happiness than receive. You're just saying what you think is the "right" thing, but at the end of the day, you want a rich good looking slim bird who buys you lots of stuff of christmas.

randi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2003 23:08
All true Fallout.

But hey, if you become filthy rich...
I'll do your laundry, forget the queen!!

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2003 23:22
Ironing too?

Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2003 00:01
I say money is very important, but not to gain money with an Hobby.As i see here, for the most , programming is an hobby.
So, don't mind to make money with an hobby, hobby became work.To make money with work, you need to be good at work.Here, no one is really good at work. simple, isn't it???

Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2003 00:16
LOL...too true in my case Ermes, but I still keep trying to write the ultimate game so I can retire in luxury, I haven`t learnt yet, I just ain`t good enough but I keep trying, maybe one day.

Mentor.
Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2003 00:20
That day, Mentor, i'll pass near your castle with my one of new Ferrari, and we go for a short holiday in Montecarlo, just to have a breakfast with prince Ranieri and his siter.

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2003 01:24
Know what you mean. But when it comes to a choice between doing some hobby programming for nout (as it will 99% of the time be) and the sort of money I can get for doing a bit of overtime.... well, it gets tougher once you have a mortgage and a car that eats money like a rabbit. Or something. Not such an easy choice.

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Newbie Brogo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2003 01:24
hey, i wanna go to Montecarlo, to have breakfeast.. no.. brunch, with Prince Ranieri and his sister, AND baby sitter.

You did what? For who?! For how many jellybeans?!?
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2003 03:04
Money makes the world go round, and that's for sure.

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2003 04:14
hey ill do any ones damn laundry as long as i get paid for it.
Lots of ppl do make games for the wat they call "personal gratification" but hell if i could make some dough out of wat i crumple toghether then i wouldnt mind. Some ppl just rush it though. Like there is this one guy i know (true story) he make a game called Englind break out( basiclly its break out only with the Flag in the back ground at the words "Englind Breakout" at the top) and he sold it. Well he tried but no one bought it. Fellt sort of sorry for the guy and even offered to help out with his web site(it was a mess) but he refused. Thats a case of rushing.

But for me, from now on I am slowing it down, building my site untill it looks the way I want it to, take the time to make some actual quality creations and then release it in to the world. Thats i guess one lesson I learned from my early noob days trying to make the next Unreal tournament 2004 or starting a business to compete against Sony.

Comin soon: MegatonCreations.tk
Now all we need is an actual game!
Also: reviewing the games no one else bothered to
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2003 14:01
What has always got to me is people who think they can program Quake 5 in a hobby language. Hell, even if they were using C++ it's still a pipedream. These days a game like Quake is not a one person bedroom effort really. It's a shame cos those were the days. 3D is probably the biggest reason. 2D games could be easily (compared) knocked out.

On the other hand, keeping it simple, even cute 2D games, can easily get a few bucks in the bargain bucket area. I admit that personally I just do it for the fun element, not the cash.

Hmmm, to sum up then, I reckon it's more benificial to aim to do a simple game(s). That way it is possible to finish it in your lifetime, and you never know what could happen. If it's addictive then it could go places. If you aim to do Quake 5 (or even Quake 2), or C&C++ then we'll check out your update in a year or so. Then the gradual vanishing act.

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Jonny_S
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2003 15:04
The stupid thing is that if someone came up to me and said 'we are interested in publishing your game' I would say yes however crap it was aslong as there is a bit of $$$ in it, would you turn down an offer like that?

Supermonkey - The crime gifhting sex god monkey!
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2003 23:59
@ supermonkey, who wouldn't wish someone would ask to publish my game for $$$ hehe

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 12:36:25
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 12:36:25