Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2010 01:34 Edited at: 1st Mar 2010 01:58

Explore the dark world of the deep space mining colony Gor Rugi: Forced to work for the government and permanently kept under control, the deep space miners are growing in their anger against the oppressive forces. And joining a small group of militarily well trained rebels, you will blast your way out of the mines and escape from the war-torn galaxy sector belonging to the Worrajug Empire.

Supported by Horror Mod, this game is out to get technically the max out of the engine, with good environments, high quality textures, vast scripting work, 3D Particle Effects, custom animations and AI, all merged to a fast-paced action gameplay on a fluent, stable framerate. Fight your way through large, detailed levels, and defend your life against enemies who will take advantage of their whole arsenal against you, from small handhelt blaster weapon up to the deadly sniper rifle.

The Mines of Gor Rugi

What we're releasing and going to show you today is our environment concept for the Mines of Gor Rugi. This is the place where the campaign will start. We hope to be able to convince you we're doing high quality texture work and creating a thought-out world design with these shots. They are taken from a conceptional level which will not be in the final game. It was previously meant to be a multiplayer map, but as multiplayer mode is no longer planned for the game, it's left for demonstration only.

You can see the rather open map design for the fast multiplayer matches it was once meant for. Especially as it was designed as a duel map, it was highly important to us to provide only limited and easy to remember cover points (although they're there). But in the end we decided not to create a multiplayer mode and concentrate on a deep story singleplayer campaign. Xarelok will, however, feature further game modes in addition to the campaign.

Will it be worth playing?

That's what you will finally have to judge when it's out, of course. Whenever that will be. We're doing our best to create an entertaining game with a straight-action character. Reviewing and testing any part of our work over and over during all development stages is something we're really serious about. We hope you'll be tracking us, visit our website and don't forget to participate with comments and constructive feedback.

Links:
dhk Games
Gallery

DarkJames
Years of Service
User Offline
nice screens...
are you using my Line hud?

Fpsctr
Years of Service
User Offline
looking good
charger bandit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2010 13:25
Looks great,what happened to your previous project? It looked nice.

A.K.A djmaster
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2010 18:46
Yes, it did, but this looks nice too!

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things that I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.
D0MINIK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2010 23:28 Edited at: 2nd Mar 2010 01:34
Thank you guys

Bloody James, you mean the black bars? No, not your HUD, didn't know you've made one, sorry

We didn't believe someone would remember our previous project (Star Guard), nice to see! Finally... the core is in some way the same, but we have completely re-drawn that project and like this one much better.

ReFure
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK
Posted: 2nd Mar 2010 12:37
It looks great!

Greetings,

Prison of Hell is rated:

DarkJames
Years of Service
User Offline
what segments are you using Dominik also contact me on MSN

Octavio9mm@hotmail.com

D0MINIK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2010 21:43 Edited at: 4th Mar 2010 09:22
We use basic materials from CGTextures.com for our segments, but put much effort in editing and changing them.

Don't have MSN or any messenger, but you can drop me an email

EDIT: No, as said above, no messenger service. I just never need them

DarkJames
Years of Service
User Offline
ok do you have some simpler way to talk (icq,skype,aim,Gmail)?

D0MINIK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2010 17:47 Edited at: 1st Apr 2010 17:48

Update: Hi-Speed Gameplay

The overall quality of a game is sometimes hard to reach, and this being said, we're especially proud to announce we've established a framerate boost that will shoot the gameplay to the next generation level. Although, compared to our previous screenshots, the visual quality had to be lowered just slightly, we were able to reach an average framerate of 296 frames per second! This is an enormous step forward, as on the highest quality (shown in our previous march news post), we only reached average 14 fps.

The Basic Idea

The idea is simple as brilliant: We found out that not the lights themselves, but our artificial light sources were the framerate killers. So what we basically did was removing all light sources from our map, and keeping the lights themselves intact. That already gave us a nice framerate of 112 fps. Not enough with that, we wanted more: Reducing the texture quality by the factor 6, we could establish an outstanding framerate of even 302 fps at maximum. This is more than most industry games have as there are mostly limited framerates used in those productions.

The Fastest Gameplay Ever

We will not integrate such an fps limitation, but keep the best framerate you can imagine for you to experience: For the first time you cannot even follow your own, fast actions with your eyes in a game because the game runs about 12 times as fast as usual shooters do!! This may mean the gameplay will be rather addressed to pro players, but nevertheless, if you train hard, you will probably get used to the game speed and may be able to get some frags here or there.

Aaagreen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2010 18:12
Where did the lights go from "before"? They were the best part of the screen, and now you have no light sources.

Jeku always gets drunk and tries to Moderate the ocean. Tirelessly slapping the waves as they roll in.
charger bandit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2010 20:34
Cool,the game has an awesome Quake look now.

A.K.A djmaster
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2010 22:06
Yeah, hte light went off from the before screen, but it looks nice still!

Roger Wilco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2010 13:22
I'm guessing 'april fools'?
D0MINIK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2010 17:27 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2010 17:30
Yes, indeed, as Roger Rilco guessed correctly: Happy aprils fools' day

The lights will remain in the game, and we will stay at a smooth, nice framerate of about 60 fps

But thanks for your kind comments anyway

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2010 17:34
Quote: "Yeah, hte light went off from the before screen, but it looks nice still!"

Quote: "Cool,the game has an awesome Quake look now.
"

If something isn't good...Yes, you CAN say it

Nice one @Dominik

-Wolf

God Helps the Beast in Me!
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2010 20:08
Quote: "If something isn't good...Yes, you CAN say it "

I did say it, I ment aside from that.

D0MINIK
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "If something isn't good...Yes, you CAN say it"

Easy to say if you don't comment yourself

Quote: "Nice one @Dominik"

Thanks anyway

D0MINIK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2010 14:05 Edited at: 15th Apr 2010 14:05

Mid of the month, and time for an update. Today we're releasing screenshots of our first properly working in-game test, yet on a conceptional level. This level includes well established AI enemies as well as a new brand-new environment concept for a Military Tech Center.

Time for Sci-Fi

While the Mines of Gor Rugi environment has a rather run-down look and feel, the Military Tech Center Concept presents more of a sci-fi world than the mines did. We've done our best so far to create a techy and futuristc look for the base, yet keeping it from appearing too elegant and well constructed. As we imagine the tech center to be located on the mining colony planet Gor Rugi itself and it was designed as a part of the planets adminstrative, it has got elements of both: Dark and shabby sections as well as partly nice metal and light design.

Shaders and Light Effects

Aside from lots of texture work, today's media release also covers light and shader effects we'd like to focus your eyes on. We've put much effort into the light halos, and although the technolgy behind these may be quite simple, we're using decals for these, we're very pleased with the visual outcome. Also, you can see we're using illumination map shaders on the walls. They are well suited for giving certain rooms and building sections special attention, enhancing the level design options and also adding something for the eye at the same time.

Gameplay

Our own team internal review of our first single-player gameplay test had a very positive outcome. We believe we're on a good track, to sum it up: The gameflow was fluent and motivating. However, although we were already able to solve many problems during this test phase in March, and made great steps in the development of this sparetime project, especially regarding enemy AI behavior, we also took notice of many things that still require lots of work. Our coming updates will add a few deeper story elements to Xarelok. No.... we'll not be saying stay tuned or something

Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2010 03:40
in your las screen on the floor the yellow lines are off-but you can just rotate the floor to fix that. Looking awesome though!
D0MINIK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2010 16:06 Edited at: 16th Apr 2010 19:16
Oha... well, what you see there is an experimental lift model. Looks indeed a bit strange on that screen because it's half behind a wall.

Thanks

PekelaarSFX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2010 22:16
Looks good, and you can see in the firust screen what the effect is of low-res textures, cause it looks more uglyer than it does in the first screen

Looks very nice

D0MINIK
Years of Service
User Offline
Is it just me or is your comment a bit weird?

Don't understand what you mean.

D0MINIK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2010 03:55 Edited at: 4th May 2010 03:58

Some creative output of our pre level design phase are our game characters. We'd like to throw in some renders for the community to judge.

We're not saying we would have created the outward appearances from scratch, you do for sure recognize we're using the sci-fi character meshes delivered with FPSC. The reason is simply our skills are not good enough (yet, meaning probably for this game being our first title) to create our own full character models. However, we re-textured the models to adapt them for Xarelok.

Brief Descriptions

Here is some background information we have drawn about the heroes of the game.

Nall'Ly
He is leading the small rebel group against the oppressive Worrajug Empire. He was sent to the Gor Rugi mining colony as a punishment for revolting against the authorities during a military mass arrestment on his home planet Thal. Nall'Ly was previously not meant to be arrested in that operation, but his protest against the arrestments has brought him years in the mines. But that will soon be over.

Seraph
Although she had her doubts about the rising dominion, she had no reason for rebellion against the Empire until the war against an alien species forced the Empire to send more people into the mines in order to gather more resources against the enemy. Seraph lost her job, her friends, her familiy, her future. And since then, she's being forced to work in the mines.

Toya
The law of Gor Rugi. And some more mining colonies. Commanding one of the most important space stations of the Empire, he's got some real power at hand. When he was twelve years old, he had to witness the killing of his father by space pirates capturing the civil space freighter they were on. This made him believe in the need of rules and the danger that rises from people revolting against them, and gave him strength and will to make a carreer in the Worrajug Security.

Security Guards
The heart of Worrajug Mining. They are payed well for obeying without asking questions. Most of them know it's better to be on this site of the system than on the other. But days are more difficult since the war came - before this threat, it was an easy job: Good payment for pinching lazy miners. Gor Rugi is one of the last places that still keep this comfortable working conditions alive.

New Web Presence

Last but not least, we're proud to say we've got an overall new website and forum design. So come on and give us a visit, a comment, a hug - whatever you think it might support us!

DarkJames
Years of Service
User Offline
I would love to know how you make those things to transparent with the back ground, and i love the Biography of the chars. nice work!

"Feel free in a world of madness,be the bright spot"
-Bloody James
charger bandit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2010 14:58
Looks great,can't wait to play.

D0MINIK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2010 15:09 Edited at: 5th May 2010 15:10
@Bloody James
Thanks. I took screenshots of the characters on plain black background (any other colour works as well) and then made that colour transparent with GIMP2

@charger bandit
Thanks man

AbdulAhad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2010 15:23
Interesting!

Abdul Ahad
D0MINIK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2010 04:03 Edited at: 1st Jun 2010 04:04

Update: The Space Station

It's new, it's spacy, it's sci-fi: The layout of Xarelok is getting sharper, and closer to its final look. Today's media release covers the third environment for the game, following the mining colony Gor Rugi and the military tech center: The Worrajug Space Station. As it is the best guarded space within the Worrajug Empire, this is probably the place where you're going to have the most fun.

Light decals and shaders create a nice indoor-atmosphere, and our planet skybox in the background makes a good outdoor experience. And we will equip you with high-end weapons, the Mini-Gun and the Tavor Sniper Submashine, both powerful and suitable for a nice carnage in space.

Goodbye Gravity

Although the FPSC engine does not give us much scope here, we've managed to establish some kind of low gravity for outdoor areas. Whenever you move outside the space station, you'll have doubled jump height while keeping the jump height normal inside. We're using trigger zones for the control of this feature. Although it's not 100% the same as that original slowly gliding low-grav fun like in the industry games, it still does the job to create a good sci-fi gameplay feeling.

We've had lots of trouble while designing the conceptional level for our space station environment, rendering errors as well as performance problems made Xarelok a haunted development project for nearly all the weekends of May. But now, we believe we've banned the ghost from the mashine, and everything works fine again. But... you never know...

We are happy Thomas-Adam Habuda is joining dhk Games. He will be writing an exciting, driving soundtrack for the game. So come on, be nice, welcome him and say hello to Tom You can check is online portofolio here.

New Landing Bay

A landing bay we've lately found to be very useful and good for us is Twitter. If you like, follow us here, too!

Le Shorte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2010 04:45
Never saw this until today. Looks top-notch!

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=166194&b=25
Rads, revived for the X10 Revival on May 29th, 2010
AbdulAhad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2010 10:17
It looks Amazing!

Abdul Ahad
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2010 14:49
Looks great! I love it!

Heimo Vesa ROCKS!!!!!
charger bandit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2010 14:53
Awesome design Can't wait for it.

D0MINIK
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you boys
Very appreciated!!

PekelaarSFX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2010 13:25 Edited at: 2nd Jun 2010 13:26
Ok .... My Last Comment was a bit strange ...
I ment: With the Aprils fool Joke the Texture's were realy bad (pic 3/4), and it realy looked like ***

I love the way you use Stock Media - Like weapons and entity's - and how you customized it. I also like the way open Environment is been used. A lot of games have tight Rooms and Corridors, and some even say Open design slows it down, You've Proven Otherwise!

I cant wait until a Demo or New update comes around the corner.

Keep it up!

D0MINIK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2010 16:53 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2010 16:54
Ahh, now I understand your previous comment

Well, we've found especially long outdoor hallways do indeed slow it down. Framerate is tricky on FPSC. We'll probably keep outdoor areas not that wide open in the real game as in these conceptional test levels. But armed enemies remain the no.1 framerate killers.

PekelaarSFX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2010 16:57
Quote: "But armed enemies remain the no.1 framerate killers"

Yeah, Thats why they are armed, to destroy your framerate

D0MINIK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2010 11:08 Edited at: 15th Jun 2010 11:10

Update: AI Monkey #1

A weak point that especially FPSC made games have is the AI, the artifical intelligence. It controls the enemy characters. It oftenly appears to be rather Absent Intelligence. So we are introducing our article series, the AI Monkey, today. There are way too funny scenes that AI sometimes produces during the game creation process that we just cannot hide from you: Here he comes, the AI Monkey

A good point to start with is the animations of enemy characters. Each character has a bundle of different animations (walking, running, shooting, ducking, etc.) at hand. The AI script then tells the character in-game to run one of the animations of that bundle, and that creates the illusion of real movements performed by real enemies.

Now, our point of critics is the death animation that each character of the FPSC engine holds (the engine does not support Ragdoll yet, as we all know). Look at the following image showing the death animation (a character in the moment he dies) from left to right:

Does not really look too lovely, and not realistic, does it? Lying with his arms stretched on the floor? We've created a whole new death animation to cover that lack of beauty:

Ah, that already looks a lot better! He first falls on his knees, and then goes down to one side. Fine boy, for that he'll get a banana from us!

AbdulAhad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2010 11:58
Looks great!!

Alot like ragdoll. If you have 4 to 5 different death animations you can make the player believe that there is ragdoll.

Two thumbs up!

Abdul Ahad
charger bandit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2010 14:03
Awesome new animation.

greysword
Years of Service
User Offline
wow DOMINIK
i love it
great animations dude
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2010 19:43
the animation looks nice in my head! (how I fill up the parts not shown in the pictures)

D0MINIK
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks a lot! To all of you, guys
Glad you like it!

Heroefol
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2010 11:55
Ooooohhhnoo. I dont want that this project is dead!

D0MINIK
Years of Service
User Offline
Dead? Who's telling you such horror stories?

Update coming around by tomorrow

D0MINIK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2010 10:17 Edited at: 5th Jul 2010 10:18

Update: Campaign Screens

The development of Xarelok is now on full steam. We've begun the design of the campaign levels, so you won't see us posting screenshots of conceptional levels anymore. These were good for testing the visual and technical compatibility of our world design elements, and for getting an idea of what direction the game design will go to. We have moved on to making something real now. The following screens are the first directly taken from level 1 of the campaign:

We have increased the global brightness setting from value 15 to 25 since we've begun the campaign creation, and we hope users with darker display settings (or older monitors) are now better off with our images.

AbdulAhad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2010 10:48
NICE!!

Could you show us a video of the gameplay?

Abdul Ahad
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2010 15:17
Nice shots!

Butt monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2010 02:41
Looks tidy - good work.

I'd personally change the colour of the workers clothing to a greyish blue or something else similar to their environment. At the moment they stick out like a sore thumb (for lack of a better expression).

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 16:09:09
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 16:09:09