Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I am A newbie to dark basic. I have read through the manual and dont know where to start. I dont understand a thing. Im only 13 and I ve heard 14 yrs old do it. How? Any help plz? I feel stupid.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2003 00:04
You shouldn't feel stupid! DB is a programming language, like any, it takes practice and hard work. Start slow and easy with simple text and input commands and work up from there. I know the help files stink but if you are patient and thorough you will understand it. Look thru the examples and especially read all of the intro stuff regarding variables/commands and how they work. Try and make a "Hello World!" program. All I can say is try to do stuff and post here when you're stuck and I am sure this community will be eager to help

-RUST-
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2003 12:16
i downloaded the db demo when i was 13 and didn't understand a word of it, so i gave up went back a year later and it all became clear after a couple of weeks looking at it again, if you find yourself not understanding something, take a break, sleep on it and you might find it easier in the morning, or maybe not i'm 14 now btw

Ads
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks everyone for the help. Last Night I made a mini program called Adams Adding machine. At the moment im still working on multiple types of calcualtions. Who knows where I get info on variables and db maths etc?
Ads
Years of Service
User Offline
I have made a basic calculator finally. Any suggestions of what I should make next?
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2003 19:28
try getting a sprite on screen with no animation, just a sprite, then when thats ok then try to move it all four directions, when thats ok then add another sprite of an enemy, then get the computer to move it towards you all the time, then add collision so that if it hits you then you die, then add 2 sprites to the screen that when you hit them give you a point, then display the points at the top of the screen, then make the computer add more point sprites over time, then get it to add more enemies over time, then add a background, then make it display a message when it starts saying its the monsterchase game by ads or whatever, then you just written your first program, and you can tell us all about it , notice that nothing in any of the steps is that difficult, just do them one at a time, you can add in more instructions as the game gets more elaborate, just add bits at a time so it`s all in simple steps, cheers.

Mentor.
Ads
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Mentor youve help alot more than you know lol. Ill try that. Any more tips would be apreciated.
Ads
Years of Service
User Offline
How do I do that? lol
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2003 21:45 Edited at: 14th Sep 2003 21:46
well...you could start

load image "coolsprite.bmp",1

and then

sprite 1,x,y,1

inside a loop, the x and y are variables that you can alter to alter the position of the sprite, then you need to read the keys, look in the "input command set" part of the help, when a key is pressed then change the apropriate value, remember the phrase "x is a cross", that helps you remember what direction things will move...x is across...geddit? x is a cross, moves things across the screen the bigger the number the further right you go, y is the other direction, (up/down) the bigger the number the further down the screen it is, just remeber you can get sprites to walk off the edge of the screen and never come back, so keep track of them .

Mentor.
Ads
Years of Service
User Offline
Whats your msn? Thanks
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2003 22:16
check the button bar under my post

Mentor.
Ads
Years of Service
User Offline
It doesnt work
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2003 22:41 Edited at: 14th Sep 2003 22:45
just wait for the tooltip to drop down, then make a note of it and make a new contact or use the addy below, cheers.

Mentor.

[href]metapersonx@hotmail.com[/href]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 01:00:17
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 01:00:17