Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / made a shoot em up, how to handle enemy shots

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
i have created a game with Dark GDK, that is like those japanese shoot 'em ups. my problem are the enemy shoot sprites because the shoot very rapidly and create a lot of sprites.

i create my sprites with dbSprite, rotate them with dbRotateSprite and move them with dbMoveSprite. if my enemy doesn't shoot very rapidly. the game runs very fluent.

it somehow doesn't matter on what system i run this game. the problem is always the enemy shooting

there must be a more eficient way to do those enemy shots, because there are shoot em ups for the computer with several hundred enemy shots on the screen and they run fine.
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2010 06:50
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2010 13:53
What about the particle engine - is there no way to hijack that?, if you could set the properties yourself, then you could use them for bullets. I'm considering something similar with an OpenGLEAS engine, using point sprites which work with just a single vertex and can be rendered in 1 pass. I'm guessing that the particle engine in DB uses a similar approach, setting the colour and fade but not scaling. I don't know GDK, but I think that you need to look for an alternative to sprites - maybe even pasting the image directly would be faster - because then it's easy to optimise.

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 01:29:23
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 01:29:23