Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Three easy questions: satisfaction/screensavers/3ds max

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all. I am considering a purchase and have three questions:

First, how satisfied are you with DarkBASIC? (e.g. any major issues or problems; advantages over other programs)

Second, can I create screen savers with this program? Some game dev programs have that feature. I didn't see it listed, but maybe I missed it.

Third, I'm interested in importing my own objects, which will be created with 3ds max. I'm wondering how successful others have been in using their own objects. Easy? Pain in the rear?

Thanks much. -- Seth!
CodeOrc
Years of Service
User Offline
I can't speak for the screensaver use, but I do use 3DS Max 5.1 and am real happy with the .x export from Panda Software.

I use Max with DBPro daily and I have not had a reason to stop yet.

Hope that helps
Seth!
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks, CodeOrc. That's good to hear.
koshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2003 06:52
you can make screensavers with darkbasic, you just make the program and change the extention to .scn, wait i think its .scn. im not sure but i know you can make screensavers.

Famous last words -
Pull the pin and count to what?
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2003 08:13
.scr maybe?

-RUST-
Kelebrindae
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2003 17:49
You can make screensavers with DB, but it's not that simple...

First, you have to rename your ".EXE" to ".SCR" (that's the easy part).

Second, in your code, you have to parse the command line which Windows has run your prog with. In DB, this command line is conveniently given by the command "CL$()". There's four possible values:
"/s" : Windows wants to execute the screensaver
"/c" : Windows wants the screensaver's setting dialog to be shown
"/a" : Windows wants the screensaver's password change dialog to be shown
"/p" : Windows wants to execute the screensaver in the little preview window
Thus, all you have to do is to implement something like :
"if CL$()='/s' then... [screensaver]
if CL$()='/c' then... [allow user to configure the screensaver]
if CL$()='/s' then... [allow user to change his password]
if CL$()='/p' then... [run the screensaver in the preview window]"

As far as I know, the latter case (preview) can't be done with DB alone. In the command line, Windows gives the pointer to the small preview window (looks like "/p:6214", where "6214" is the pointer), and DB can't use this pointer. (with a DLL, perhaps... This is beyond my knowledge, I'm quite a newbie...)

Third, you have to prevent your prog to be executed more than once at a time. Sounds strange, but Windows doesn't fire the screensavers only once; it fires it repeatedly, again and again (I don't
understand why...). So you have to store a flag somewhere (in the registry, for example) and test it at the very beginning of your code; if it's positioned, an instance of the screensaver is already running and you can exit. And don't forget to delete the flag before exiting the first instance of the saver, of course...

Well... It looks a bit complicated, but it's not so hard; DarkBasic is very easy to use.

Ideas: memories of things which did not occur yet...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 01:17:02
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 01:17:02