Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / How to make an editor

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2003 12:55
I need help on how to go about making a replacement editor for DBPro.
Thanx All.
RPG_Freak.
Genius Game Creators
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2003 16:54
hey friend
don't try doing the things which have already been done
Rather create enhancements if you wish or use new ideas to
develop better editors

Shirish Goyal,the Genius
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2003 23:39
i thought about the same thing too, what program do you use to make the editors? visual basic? c++? fox pro?

to live is to suffer, to survive, well, thats to find meaning in the sufferening.....
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2003 01:33 Edited at: 15th Sep 2003 01:36
Any language you like as long as it can read and write text files and run another exe with command line arguments.

Some sort of rapid application development (rad) visual language is best, visual basic, delphi etc.

I wrote a simple program that shows how to call the compiler and compile code. It doesn't do it identically to the ide but works.

Download here, it's on a free server that goes down fairly often.
http://winch.8bit.co.uk/db/proedit.htm

Writeing a simple ide is relativly simple as it is just a glorified text editor. Making a more complex ide is a lot harder, sytax higlighting etc. can be quite hard to keep on top of.

I forget who posted this next bit, I think it was Ian M who reposted it and it was orignally by GuyS the ide coder, but I can't quite remeber.

Quote: "Quote: "On the command line, you pass the name of the temporary project file saved in the temp folder

During the compilation, the IDE monitors for termination of the compiler process

The compiler stores current line compilation messages in a filemapped file called DBPROEDITORMESSAGE that is mapped to the swap file

During compilation, you can update the status bar from the contents - it is a 4 byte integer that is updated by the compiler.

If there is an error, the compiler broadcasts WM_USER+0 message to forms with a class name of TDBPROEDITOR. If it appears, you can open the filemap and pull out the string that was stored in the filemap. You can then parse the string for a line number, then open the offending source file, highlight the line number reported, and pop up the error message.""
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2003 02:51
thanks a lot man, i understand better now i'll take a look at ur program when i got the time, how do you suppose they do the syntax highlighting?

to live is to suffer, to survive, well, thats to find meaning in the sufferening.....
WoW is WOW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2003 12:05
Thanx, but I need to know how to WRITE an editor and add my own commands, like what kind of things would I do to make my editor actually work, you know run the DB code?
RPG_Freak
Velorien
Years of Service
User Offline
Write your own DB functions for your customized commands. Like if you want to make your own text command you make this function

Okay i don't know if it will work but basicaly with this function you dont have to write text 10,10,"Print this stuff", you just need to write Write("Print this stuff") and you have your customized command. As to how to write a editor, i really have no idea
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2003 12:28
Quote: "how do you suppose they do the syntax highlighting?"

When the editor sees that you've typed in a recognized command, it simply changes the color.
Sly D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2003 01:07 Edited at: 17th Sep 2003 01:10
Quote: "When the editor sees that you've typed in a recognized command, it simply changes the color"

It's not that easy but yeah thats the general idea. For Delphi and VB there are components that offer syntax highlighting all you have to do is add the keywords. As for your commands(function) you would have to keep them as some kind of source snippets. Of course i am talking about DB Classic because Pro has already got a nice IDE.
Anyways feel free to e-mail me at fedja_b@hotmail.com and we can discuss this later.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 01:07:21
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 01:07:21