Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / sun and lens flare

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2003 06:54
how do i make a big giant sphere in the sky (the sun) that gives out light, shadows, and lens flares?
(sorry about any spelling errors i might have )
thanx

<{^_^<}
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2003 11:35 Edited at: 15th Sep 2003 11:37
just put a textured ghosted sphere up there, and then a light source, make sure your gfx card supports shadows and turn on shadows for all your objects, make some lensflare textures and scale and slide/fade them around the the screen in the inverse position to where the sun is onscreen and add more as the sun gets more central, and then admire your scene running at a glacial 20fps, or turn off shadows and run at a more credible speed

Mentor.

moral: shadows are pretty, but they eat gamespeed for breakfast on most setups
Darkflame
Years of Service
User Offline
If you want to do quicker shadows, the way I did them in DBC works.
Just make a black light source, glue it near an object and set it pointing to the object.

You get a faded circular shadow, but at least it moves correctly up objects and such.

"The man who says it cannot be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." ~ Elbert Hubbard

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 01:02:07
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 01:02:07