Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK .NET / 2D Dev Kit for DarkGDK.Net

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2010 00:57 Edited at: 3rd Apr 2010 21:12
Hi guys,

After having to program my game over and over in hope of getting better/faster results i faild.
So i yesterday i have started making my own 2D Kit for DarkGDK.net!

I Always used DarkGDK.net(beginners version) because i did not wanted to work with interop version.
But the problem with beginners version is that it is SLOW, after drawing 100 sprites the FPS goes to 25
and memory usage goes to 35 MB and if you use .net memory profiler you will see more probs.

So my Dev Kit is going well: 300 sprites(classes) on screen at 50 FPS and memory usage of 25MB .

new stuff:
Advanced Text system (bitmap fonts).
Tiled Map Engine (XML based) for RPGs or platformers.
2D Camera.
Weater effects.
Custom Sprite Animation, not the defualt, because it is slow.

There will be no need for 3rd party dlls, just 1 dll and DarkGDK runtime .
Instead of using DarkGDK.dll the game will now use Dev2D.dll (30KB for now).

I have no name for my kit so i call it 2D dev kit.

Code sample:

Let me know what you guys think of this.
StartCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2010 21:09 Edited at: 4th Apr 2010 00:09
Update 03-04-2010, ( First of all sorry for my bad English)

After 5 months of hard working and rewriting my engine about 5 times. I dicided to stop using DarkGDK.NET.

To be honest...WHAT A WASTE OF TIME and money!

DarkGDK.net was fun in beginning but after learning it i discoverd that its not for someone that wants to make prof games.
Meaby if you are planning on making tic-tac-toe.

few things about DGDK.NET:

- Slow
- Buggy(let say every class has a bug.. and i mean every!).
- Never gets updated.
- Redistributable = 16 MB.
- much more(made a list of it).

After reserve enginering the classes i found more non-prof coding and bugs! i am disapointed.

I dont know about DarkBasic Pro but what i know is that the .net edition is not something that will make you happy (did not make me happy).

Customer service is greate, but i did not need answers, i needed solutions.

I am returning back to my old Game Development kit and leaving DarkGDK.NET.

Bye to all, and GOOD LUCK to you all.
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2010 02:56 Edited at: 6th Apr 2010 02:58
I'm quite appalled to hear this to be honest. I can appreciate and understand that not everyone is happy with the toolkit. And to be honest, there are work arounds available to help overcome some of the bugs that exist in the toolkit classes. There has not been an update for some time because people have not reported specific problems other than possible errors with functions that wrap the main calls to the interop library.

The last update of the toolkit was to include the lib files from DarkGDK (C++) which includes the latest 7.4 changes. There has not been a release of the DarkGDK libraries since then.

And please don't tell me that every class has bugs, this statement is overrated and quite frankly unfounded.

I will be very happy to address any specific problems that are causing you difficulties in writing your code, but to state that the toolkit is only good enough for writing Tic-Tac-Toe, is again, unfounded. I've personally written Asteroids using the toolkit, and we've not had any complaints about that.

Quote: "- Slow"

What's slow? Your code, or the toolkit. Be more specific, maybe we can address this by examing an example?

Quote: "- Buggy(let say every class has a bug.. and i mean every!)."

As said, unfounded. Give me a list of the bugs that you have found in each of the classes and I will address them immediately.

Quote: "- Never gets updated"

Untrue, the last update fell inline with the DarkGDK C++ version which consisted of the 7.4 libraries.

Quote: "- Redistributable = 16 MB."

16mb! It only needs to be installed once. And frankly, when I buy a game these days, they come on a DVD consisting of an image in excess of 3gig. Go figure.

Quote: "- much more(made a list of it)."

Fine, send me the list, you have my email.

Seriously, if you're not happy with the toolkit, then don't just abandon it on pure principle, work with me and we can fix the problems.

Thanks for being a DarkGDK.NET valued customer.

Paul.

StartCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2010 22:15 Edited at: 6th Apr 2010 22:23
APEXnow no hard feelings, i was just telling my opinion

Remember, i am not an enemy of DarkGDK.

But take my word for it that every class has a bug, meaby not because of your .NET coding but because of DarkGDK self.
I am sure that you are aware that using wrappers is not the best solution for Game dev kits. you want speed not dubble work.

Few question:

1: Can i ask where the documents are? i dont mean the old DarkGDK command documments
but the one that explains more about the .net edition?.

2: why are there still functions and classes available if they dont work anymore? sample: Animation (playing videos).
3: Why 16MB installer, i have made custom installer with size of 2.1MB. So installing tetris with size of 1MB sould also have 16MB install?

4: Why sould a developer need to look for workarounds? that means the product is not well.
5: Could you show me any sample, any game that can impress me and that it is made with DarkGDK(or .net)?

You have enough bug reports look at the forum.
I can understand that you dont want to update small bugs every day, but if someone is paying then there sould be updates
once in 3 months.

So you are 100% sure that DarkGDK.net is fast? because i would like to start a contest here on the Forum.
DarkGDK.net vs what i use (i wont say the name).

I was new to Gamedevelopment and i started with DarkGDK, afther few moths i start understanding Game Development
thats why i am leaving DarkGDK. i want to have speed.

I can tell you that i am now using new Dev kit for about 3 days and i have made more progress then did in 4 moths using DarkGDK.
Now i dont have to face bugs, i can work non-stop.

DarkGDK is not bad product, if you want to keep it simple and not advanced.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 22:37:06
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 22:37:06