Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / dba vs dbpro files

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2010 07:14
Hey, I'm a true new comer to Dark Basic Pro,

I don't understand the need for two files in a project folder (the dbpro and the dba files). I don't even know what the difference is. For example if my project is Pong. When I create a project it will put two files in my folder called Pong.dba and Pong.dbpro. Could I have some help. Thanks very much...

Have a nice day, God Bless You!
Quentin Collins
Years of Service
User Offline
The dbpro file is the overall project file, and the dba files are the source code files containing the DarkBasic code you write. You may have multiple source code files, as well as media & other files added into the project file to tie them all together.

Hope this answers your question!

When this baby hits 88mph, you're gonna see some serious sh..!
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Yup, I normally have about 7 or more .dba files in one project and the .dbpro is the thing that strings them together.
Daygamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2010 21:44
Okay, I'm starting to get it. But is it possible to write an entire program on Dark Basic Pro with just one file? What's the problem with just stacking all off your code into one file? Less orginized?

Thanks a lot for the help...

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2010 22:00 Edited at: 28th Mar 2010 22:10
Quote: "But is it possible to write an entire program on Dark Basic Pro with just one file? "

Yes - a lot of people do.

When you've been programming a while you find that all your programs can have the same bits of code in them - like joystick/mouse routines etc.

Writing them just once and putting them in separate dba files then telling the project manager to lump them all together when the program is compiled means less work.

All you do is just copy the required .dba files into your current project folder when you start.

If you just have a single .dba file you have to either re-write this code again and again for every program you write, or copy/paste it in from another program.

TDK

Daygamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2010 06:50 Edited at: 29th Mar 2010 06:51
Great, thanks for the help everyone! Much appreciated. I'll try to play around with it a little.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 16:37:48
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 16:37:48