Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Looking for a partner

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2010 09:39
Just a few words about myself, I got into Qbasic back in the late 80's. There were NO tutorials, and NO internet back then. I was limited to a book I got from the library that only half @@@ed explained what each keyword did. I was limited to buying basic games and programs and then going into the code to figure them out. I managed to make an app that would keep a record of all the checks that I wrote in a file that I could recall by date or merchant. I ended up moving to a diff state in 1992 and had to leave my pc behind (couldn't carry it on plane) and I never got back into it.
Fast forward to present.... I stumbled upon this Darkbasic and started to get the itch again. I have ordered the studio and am reading a book called "Darkbasic programming for the absolute beginner". I will then move on to the online tutorials here and then to a book called "Beginners guide to Darkbasic game programming". Some of it is comming back but most has been forgotten. Still, Darkbasic is very different but with same concept and back then I never got into any graphics (there weren't any anyways lol).

I have wanted to recreate an old game that I played back in 2000 so I now have a goal.

What I want to know is, is there anyone that is looking for a partner of which to teach and help build solid games while serving as a mentor at the same time?

This game I am wanting to create (eventually)is a client-server, first person, pay small monthly fee to play type of game.
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2010 21:10 Edited at: 11th Jul 2010 16:29
In the past I have taken on mentoring / helping three individuals from here. Two turned out fine and one had a belligerent attitude and he didn't really want to listen and got mad at me for his sloppy, non-working code, when in reality if he would have listened, it would have been fine. I really don't know you, so I cannot commit to do that at this point (plus I am pretty busy right now anyway).

There are many would-be programmers that have fantastic dreams of things they expect to accomplish, but when they come to realize that this will not be handed to them on a silver platter, that it won't happen in a week, and that programming isn't all fun and games, they walk and are never heard from again. Real world is that programming is indeed fun and enjoyable, but at times it can be very frustrating and aggravating. Skills can be developed by most anyone if they are willing to invest the time / effort to learn.

As long as a person shows that they are trying to learn things and are not being lazy and wanting others to expend effort to help them when they won't lift a finger themselves, the TGC community overall tends to help and provide info / assistance. A lazy person that requests help without putting any effort into it is flame-bait.

Hands On DarkBasic Pro (vols 1 & 2) are good books to own.

Good luck.

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2010 22:12
Quote: "and am reading a book called "Darkbasic programming for the absolute beginner". I will then move on to the online tutorials here"

There are quite a few tutorials for beginners, but they are hidden away on the Dark Basic Discussion (Classic) board and DBPro users tend to miss them.

I've not seen the book for absolute beginners you mention, so I would be interested in hearing how you think it compares to the beginners tutorials here:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=99497&b=10

TDK

Lifebandit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2010 03:31
The book I am reading is here:
http://www.amazon.com/DarkBASIC-Programming-Absolute-Experience-Technology/dp/1598633856

So far its pretty good.
Burning Feet Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2010 03:59
G'day,

I use a couple of books here on my desk when it comes to DarkBASIC Professional. First one is "DarkBASIC Pro - Game programming - Second edition" & the others are "Hands On DarkBASIC Pro 1 & 2". Both a handy and have the right stuff to get you started. You'll have to buy a hard copy of them though, as far as I'm aware they're not available in PDF format.

Following that, I'm always searching these forums for code tid-bits here and there. Oh, then there's also a "Snippets" add-on pack that you can download which contains over 100 examples for various pieces of DBPro code, may or may not be handy to have too.
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 12th Jul 2010 07:51 Edited at: 12th Jul 2010 07:53
Quote: " Still, Darkbasic is very different but with same concept and back then I never got into any graphics (there weren't any anyways lol). "

Sure there was graphics in QBasic... you just had to be in the right screen mode for maximum coolness with all your LINE, BOX, CIRCLE, and PSET commands. Screen 13 was 320x200 with 256 colors.

You did the right thing coming here. While you may or may not find a mentor all of us are willing to help you along your path with any questions you may have with Darkbasic Pro.

Most of the BASIC commands are in Darkbasic with a few changes (like MID$ only takes out one character, PSET is now called DOT) and the file commands don't come close to QBasics binary file saving/loading commands. But fear not IanM fixes all that when you install his free Matrix 1 Utilities Plugin.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=85209&b=18

And it's a good idea to listen to TDK and do his tutorials.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 18:22:47
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 18:22:47