Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Strange thing happening with my mouse!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2003 04:57
I first noticed this a few weeks ago, and it has happened every now and then (very rarely) since then. I'm just on the computer, moving my mouse, then for some unknown reason the cursor starts to go up the screen all by its own. I mean, it just moves up the screen at a constant speed (about a few centimeters per second) until it gets to the top of the screen, then it stops. It also stops if I move my mouse while it's happening. This is very strange. Has this happened to anyone else before? Does anyone know what this might be? It makes no sense at all.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2003 05:04
What kind of mouse do you have? Your optical mouse could be flipping out.

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball
Read It: http://www.angryflower.com/itsits.gif
Learn It: http://www.angryflower.com/bobsqu.gif
Toilet Freak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2003 05:06
you on a network, could be hackers fooling with you, is it windows me? that has some wierd bugs on it...other than that, it's prolly a defected mouse...

DreamersScars-Toiletfreak-
If you need a animated chara go here... It isn't that great but it'll do as a tester model thingy http://users.tpg.com.au/users/cnkyk8k2/index.html
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2003 14:41 Edited at: 16th Sep 2003 14:43
as far as i know that only happens when you have a scroll wheel enabled, even happens with the microsoft drivers, I never had that happen until I changed the mouse that came with the PC for a scroll mouse, since then I have had several mice and they all had scroll wheels and they all showed this effect occasionaly, I have 2 input devices on this machine at the moment(apart from the keyboard), USB graphics tablet and ps/2 Microsoft trackball, the tablet has a wireless mouse you can use on it too, just occasionaly I get this weird unwanted scroll thing, just touch the scrollwheel and it stops, not due to networks since I had this problem from before I even had a net connection and I don`t have a home network, it happens now and then and then stops, for ages, then starts up, then stops again, I heard it`s due to all sorts of things, from strong wireless interference to dodgey mice (but most of the time mine work flawlessly), to hackers (not in my case, I would have to be online/on a network and often I ain`t) to virii (scan every day, vdf up to date, 2 AV I can run..not probable, never had a infection yet), myself I think it could be just some other unknown unchecked buffer overflow like the many known ones Microsoft is (in)famous for, I read a report on MS windows software from a university research team and they said the windows code has thousands of errors, unchecked buffers, uninitialised variables etc, in fact if it had been written by one of their students they would have failed them not that reassuring is it?, in short, I have had this happen too (win 98 fully patched), but its just a quirk and seems to do nothing other than scroll a page sometimes, makes no difference if you are online or off, or if you are using explorer or word, I havent had it happen for about the last couple months at the moment, that I can recall anyway, and I spend upwards of 14hrs a day on the PC, only fix may be to just get a plain three button mouse and install the drivers for that, but I like the scrollwheel to much to part with it, and thats what seems to be the cause (unless you know different ).

Mentor.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2003 18:13
is your desk on a hill? maybe the mouse is sliding slightly on the pad but it is hard to notice

-RUST-
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2003 18:15
I've found that it happens if the mouse is on a slight slope or the mouse mat is sufficiently cheap and the beam from the mouse is getting scattered wrongly - I used to have an Everex mouse mat (grey and shiny) which, every so often would send my mouse into spasms - changed it to something a lot better, and it hasn't happened since.

Avatar & Logo by Indi. Come to the UK DBPro Convention in Chichester
Shock
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2003 22:20
i agree,

well, when using my optical mouse just ontop of the desk, once i leave it it goes into these "spasms" lol, but when on a mousemat it works fine

iv'e noticed genius mice to be better than mecury's (i have a mecury). as for microsoft, i dunno, never had an MS optical mouse.

i doubt anyone is hacking you, (why would you do all that work just to move someones mouse to the top of the screen? ), it could be your mouse, maybe a virus, hell it could be spyware (ive seen it happen )

TMB - under construction
Sticking feathers up your butt doesn't make you a chicken.
randi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2003 22:46
Maybe it's ghost.
Is your house built on an ancient burial ground?
Maybe you should try a seance.

OOH!! I know.
Go to one of the online Ouija board sights and see what it does!!

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2003 00:46
I am liking new randi sig. It's making me feel, well, "randy"

LOL

-RUST-
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2003 01:50
You got a nipple? you know, one of those mouse things in the middle of an IBM laptop keyboard? That freaks out all the time on mine, I ended up disabling it in the BIOS.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 12:59:19
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 12:59:19