Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Hey all im new here

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello everyone, im Scott and im new to DB Pro and to programming in general.
Iv recently been reading a Ebook called "DarkBasic Pro Game Programming 2nd Edition." im currently on Chapter 4 - Program Logic.
Im just wondering, i understand the things it says but sometimes it doesnt sink in, does it take time to actually understand and remember everything being said? And will i have to read this book more than once?
Its a very interesting book and i love reading it and learning new things, iv learned about basic variables, data types, strings, functions and more. I cant wait till i can actually write my first program on my own. But i fear it may take months until iv learned enough to do that. But im going to have to remain Patient, and keep reading everyday right?

Well if you guys could reply and give me some useful information and tips then i would be greatfully thankfull, im really interested in programming and really cant wait to start writing on my own!

I hope to hear from you soon.

Thankyou
Scott John Mansfield-Cairns
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2010 20:38
Quote: "But im going to have to remain Patient, and keep reading everyday right?"

If you get tired of doing nothing but reading and want to actually have a go at programming, check out the tutorials for complete beginners (parts 1 to 4) here:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=99497&b=10

Quote: "I cant wait till i can actually write my first program on my own. But i fear it may take months until iv learned enough to do that."

Anything of a reasonable size, yes - it will take a while. You didn't learn English in a week, and a programming language is no different. If anything, it's more precise - spelling errors are not tolerated and there's no slang!

TDK

Cairnzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks TDK that should help alot.
Maybe i should work on all the tutorials in that thread, and read the ebook aswel.
I should learn alot from doing both.

Thankyou
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2010 02:29
Welcome aboard the Crazy Train...

Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2010 03:17
Welcome to the langauge you'll be put to sleep by everyday from now on...

(\__/) HHAHAHAHAHAH!
(O.o ) / WORLD DOMINATION!!!!!!!!!!
(> < )
Cairnzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks guys yeh i can tell, just reading away at the tutorials is making me tired lol, getting fed up already but i must stick to it lol
GreenDixy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2010 05:41
its all about practice writing a few lines testing rinse lather repeat lol ive been working on an fps for a few weeks now it has been fun but well worth it in the end

======================================
Cairnzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmm.. quick question guys, Once iv finished Tutorials Part 1 to 4 from TDK what do i do next? I cant write my own programs just yet because im still not sure how everything is put together, do i just do other tutorials and read examples and learn from them?
Please help.

Thanks
Fredyssun
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2010 12:07
I think a good next step is the 'DBProGuide'. Here's a link:http://www.madladdesigns.co.uk/extras/DBProGuide.pdf

It's not a bug it's a feature
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2010 20:56
Quote: "Once iv finished Tutorials Part 1 to 4 from TDK what do i do next?"

Actually, that's a good question.

Those tutorials were aimed at complete beginners and were meant as a sort of 'primer' to get them started with good programming habits.

Things like program layout, indentation and the very elementary ABCs of programming are rarely covered in books for beginners and some of them do actually assume you know things that maybe you don't.

So, having read those tutorials, the beginners books and all the other tutorials you find should make a bit more sense.

But, maybe it's now time to add tutorial 5 to the series which covers a number of very basic programming tasks. The 'next step' if you like.

Maybe 10 or 12 small DB programs with explanations which cover different basic tasks for beginners - any of which might be required in your game.

Anyone have any suggestions on what you would like to see those tasks be?

Note though that they must be the sort of things that newcomers to programming would want to know - nothing too advanced.

I was thinking of maybe covering things like:

1. Input (mouse and keyboard)
2. Saving data
3. Loading data
4. Using Images
5. Basic Sprites
6. Basic Collision
7. An Introduction To 2D
8. An Introduction To 3D

Anyone think of anything else they'd like to see on the list?

TDK

Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2010 04:22
im a newcomer myself- kind of, i know a few basic things like movement and effects, stuff like that, just say that im learning my "first words" and i have some advice for you and i will tell you, some of these code will just leave you dazed and confuzed, but the only thing to do is just trudge on in the vast world of programming

Google.com. Nuff Said
ikesmasher
Years of Service
User Offline
can i ask where this ebook can be found?

brand new!!!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 18:23:40
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 18:23:40