Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / [X9] Night of the Living Dead ~ The Game

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2010 19:09 Edited at: 8th Apr 2010 19:20
Okay,
Those of you who know me already know that I have been planning to make this game since FPSC came out, but for those of you who didn't know...
Well, now you do.

I have finally started back to work on this thing and have been making some progress, but the time devoted to this project is still very limited.
However, I hope to have a playable demo in a month or two, so I figured now is the time to show a few things about the demo and the game.

First of all, the game is based on the Original Film that was released in 1968, and not the remake which was made decades later.
So, all of the original footage from the movie for my cut scenes will be in black and white.
The use of the original film for the cutscenes also means that my distribution will be limited to those countries that list the film in the Public Domain.

I have licensed music for use in the game, and I went ahead and selected a group that has been inducted into the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame.
This group uses some foul language in the song that I licensed, so the game will be rated for ADULT audiences.

Anyway, here are a couple of screenshots that show some of the cast and the first Zombie you will encounter during play...

As you can see from the image above, most of the characters will be simple re-textures of characters from Model Pack 4.
I don't think having the outfits exact will matter that much as long as the player knows who is who.
That will be easy since the characters will be speaking with audio clips taken from the film footage.
So, the voices will match the characters from the movie even if they are wearing different clothes.
I don't see why the game cannot have subtle differences if it was acceptable for the re-make to have them.

I'll be adding more in weeks to come, but you won't see me in the forums very often, because I need to use that time to get this demo finished.

Conjured Entertainment

WARNING: Intense Madness
AbdulAhad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2010 19:51
Will see how this project turns out. Great up till now

Abdul Ahad
Ross tra damus
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2010 00:23
Conjured Entertainment

I love the whole idea of the remake (of the original film ) in FPSC and wish you all the luck with this project.

Looking forward to seeing more on this.

Ps - Are they coming to get Barbara?
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2010 03:10 Edited at: 9th Apr 2010 03:16
Quote: "Will see how this project turns out. Great up till now"

Thanks

Quote: "Ps - Are they coming to get Barbara? "

Yes, Johnny taunts Barbara in the second cutscene, but you have to find the grave first!

I set a few objectives to keep as true the storyline as time permited.
The footage was edited of course, and about 35 minutes of footage is used for the cutscenes.

Here is pretty much how it is going to be...
Open with a cutscene of the film showing Johnny and Barbara pulling up to the cemetery and ending with Barbara saying, "which row is it in?"
Then your playing as Johnny with your first objective to find the grave.
Once you find it you get the second cutscene with Johnny's taunting Barbara and then the first zombie attacks and kills Johnny.
Then, you play as Barbara with the second objective to RUN!
If you make it to the house then you'll get the third cutscene showing Ben and Barbara running into the house.
That cutscene ends with Ben saying, "we need to find some boards to nail this place up".
Then, you are playing as Ben and your third objective is to board up the windows and doors...
Next, you are playing as Tom driving the truck to the gas pump, and so on.

This continues with cutscenes and objectives that follow the original films plot, and if you manage to survive the Night, then...
Well, you know... The End

Conjured Entertainment

AbdulAhad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2010 05:54
How are you making cutscenes? Is it the Multiplayer Technique which i believe Avenging Eagle discusses or are you using a software like blender to make your cutscenes?

Abdul Ahad
Zay
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2010 14:50
He's using film footage
Marc Steene
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2010 15:13
You should use Project Blue for the black and white fullscreen shader for that more authentic look, then perhaps add noise/dust which appears across the screen like you're watching an old film.

In terms of the screenshot, you should really find a new night skybox which is darker, and lower the ambience but add in moonlight to add an interesting atmosphere. I also recommend you block off the player's view of the skybox with trees. And enable fog too, for a creepy effect.

At the moment, the screenshot you posted looks pretty bland and boring, but if you make some of the changes above it would look a lot more appealing. The retextures look good, too. Hope you follow this through to the end, the film was interesting and hopefully this game will be as good if not better

[b]FPSC MIGRATION: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=142497&b=21
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2010 16:03
Nice! I loved the movie and I like how this is looking!

The graveyard scene is awesome, but I would add lighting there. And if I remember right, wasn't it day when they were at the graveyard? Or maby that was only in the other version, I mess them up sometimes.

And maby the graveyard pack from the list of the official model packs would help with this. I dunno, but might just do.

And if you really, REALLY want to walk in the footsteps of the movie you could use the one bite dead thing. As it's how it works in the movie. Also the only headshot kill thingy. But the movie didn't have very much shooting overall, but still, teh parts that have.

Ánd ofcourse there can be changes. I remember that one person of the crew that made King Kong (peter jackson's) the Official Game, said that a game made out of movie needs to have changes. Like they went to the iland only once in the game, but in the movie they went twice.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things that I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2010 01:29 Edited at: 10th Apr 2010 01:33
Quote: "How are you making cutscenes? Is it the Multiplayer Technique which i believe Avenging Eagle discusses or are you using a software like blender to make your cutscenes?"

As Zay said, I will be using actual footage of the original version of the film for the cutscenes.
I am using Windows Movie Maker to edit the footage.

Quote: "You should use Project Blue for the black and white fullscreen shader for that more authentic look, then perhaps add noise/dust which appears across the screen like you're watching an old film."

Teh STOCK Engine Rules!
I will be using version 115.003 of the stock engine for this game.
I may add shaders later on or not, but this demo may end up being less pazazzy than commercial games.
It is only a fan based hobby made game, which will be distributed for free, so there isn't enough in the budget to spend a lot of time on special effects.
I am just trying to get the gameplay finished right now with the special stuff reserved for future versions maybe.

Quote: "At the moment, the screenshot you posted looks pretty bland and boring, but if you make some of the changes above it would look a lot more appealing. The retextures look good, too. Hope you follow this through to the end, the film was interesting and hopefully this game will be as good if not better"

This game is more like a tribute to the makers of the original film than an attempt to recreate the work, so I'm not really trying to get fancy or make something better.
(They used chocolate syrup for blood in the original film since it was black and white and it didn't need to be red.)
I just thought that after 40+ years an FPS of this movie would have been made by now.

I am following through with it for sure, and that is why I want to keep the first version simple.

Quote: "The graveyard scene is awesome, but I would add lighting there. And if I remember right, wasn't it day when they were at the graveyard? Or maby that was only in the other version, I mess them up sometimes. "

Your memory is good, because yes it was still daylight when they arrived at the cemetery. (dusk)
This shot was taken from an early test, and altering the ambience level with each return from the cutscenes is planned for the gameplay.
Nice call
You are a true fan!

Thanks for all the support and encouragement guys!
It will only be a simple one level game for the demo, but I hope you like it.

Conjured Entertainment

starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice. I wondered when this story line would happened. I started this same idea a long time ago. I made quite a few models for this. If you would like I can see about rounding them all up and just give them to you. I don't remember if I animated all of the characters, but I bet you could get someone to rig them up for you. I used the movie to model most of the actors from the movie. If I don't, I think I can whip them up one weekend.

Just a thought I was going to do all of mine in b&w, so the textures I think are all b&w. If you want them send me an email and ask any question you like from what I have to, what I might be able to do for you. Good Luck!

DarkJames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2010 03:08 Edited at: 11th May 2010 04:38
hey starmind can i contact you for models or something please?

give an email please or add me to email

starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "hey starming can i contact you for models or something please?"
Yes feel free.

DarkJames
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks

"Feel free in a world of madness,be the bright spot"
-Bloody James
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2010 08:44
Quote: "You are a true fan!"

Got that right! No-one makes zombies like Romero!

This is one of those projects I will be following to the end, one becouse it will be very interesting to see how this will come out and I always wanted to make a game out of the movie myself.

Keep it up

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2010 05:38 Edited at: 11th Apr 2010 05:49
Quote: "I started this same idea a long time ago. I made quite a few models for this. If you would like I can see about rounding them all up and just give them to you. I don't remember if I animated all of the characters, but I bet you could get someone to rig them up for you."

That sounds great, and that offer is very generous of you. Thanks
I think I could probably manage rigging them to the stock bones myself.
However, finding the time to do it is another thing so I will probably use what I have already for the demo.
I would be more than glad to use your meshes and any other stuff from any other fans who want to contribute to the project in an updated version though.
We can always replace the characters later on when they are finished as time permits.
Thanks

Quote: "This is one of those projects I will be following to the end, one becouse it will be very interesting to see how this will come out and I always wanted to make a game out of the movie myself.

Keep it up"

Cool
Here is a quick smack attack for Harry using the stock animations and a modified meleeclose10 script... (see attached video)

Conjured Entertainment

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2010 10:05
Nice! The characters actually look alike

Marc Steene
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2010 16:18
Quote: "(They used chocolate syrup for blood in the original film since it was black and white and it didn't need to be red.)"

I wouldn't mind being a zombie in that film then

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2010 19:12
Quote: "I wouldn't mind being a zombie in that film then"

lol I wouldn't mind it anyways, but you also get chocolate! Film industry never been better

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 11th Apr 2010 19:16
Great movie and game concept. Like everyone else, I'm waiting for more. Using movie clips and audio is an excellent idea. The whole thing sounds like great fun!

Brian.

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2010 23:03 Edited at: 12th Apr 2010 23:07
Quote: "Great movie and game concept. Like everyone else, I'm waiting for more. Using movie clips and audio is an excellent idea. The whole thing sounds like great fun!"

Yeah, using actual footage is fun, especially watching it over and over and over during editing.
I think I have seen this movie like 138 times now.
Watching it again is no problem for me, because I love it.
The scenes where the actors were obviously drunk on the set are fun too!
I think this film was a weekend project for the crew, so its always been about a spare time thing and having fun.

Here is a peek at the animation for boarding up the windows & doors, and other recent additions... (see attached video)

Conjured Entertainment

Attachments

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 13th Apr 2010 00:19
Very cool! How about using doors? I think I remember that from the movie.

Brian.

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2010 01:43 Edited at: 13th Apr 2010 02:55
Quote: "How about using doors? I think I remember that from the movie."

Another true fan!
Yes, they did use doors to board up the windows and doors.
And yes, I initially wanted to do that, but the time factor came back into play and it seemed like too much work.
For now, I am only using one animated model for the boards when boarding up the windows and doors.
These were actually the boards for a door (note the little corner pieces at the top) and I ended up using them for windows too just to save time.
This is one of those things that will get detailed more in a future version perhaps.

Conjured Entertainment

starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Very nice work on the windows. I did some looking around for the files I had for this very idea and I cannot seem to find the files I wanted you to have. I am sorry to let you down like this, but I do have some more cds to look through. If I find them I will send them to you. Btw way this one of my favorite movies and I still have problems with dead people. Funny thing is I can watch all of the notld series in color and they don't bother me, but that b&w one still gets me. I was just a kid when that came out maybe that's why. Just some humor for you all.

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2010 15:52
Quote: "but that b&w one still gets me."

Propably becouse it's Black and white and old. I think that the fact that it's black and white gives it a scary feeling. I like it better black and white, althou the coloured version was quite scary too. But not as good. The best one the series must be Dawn of the Dead. Just so cool. Day of the Dead is cool too. Night of the living Dead, is a classic and if you like zombies you can't dislike the movie!

Marc Steene
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2010 19:09
Quote: "The best one the series must be Dawn of the Dead."

Completely agree

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2010 06:38 Edited at: 25th Apr 2010 23:38
Quote: "The best one the series must be Dawn of the Dead. Just so cool. Day of the Dead is cool too."

Night didn't just have flesh eaters, it had a little girl slaughtering her mother with a mason's trowel. (unheard of horror for those days)
Also, the fear of radiation and outer space dug deep into people's minds as well.
It is no wonder that the film became a classic.

Yes, Dawn of the Dead gave us the first exploding head from a close range shotgun blast! (very cool for that era, and way over the top)

Day of the Dead was very cool too.
I have a thing for caves , and that old limestone mine was a perfect set for a make shift bunker.
The bats you see were real bats that were flying around down there according to the actors, and it freaked some of them out a bit.
I like the scene near the end where the zombies rip out Rhodes' guts.
Those were real animal guts, and someone accidently unplugged the refrigerator that they were stored in for the weekend.
When the mistake was discovered, the guts were rank, but they used them anyway.
Some of the faces Joe Pilato was making were from the smell he had to endure during the shot. (yes, I watch the commentary versions too)

If I had to pick one, then Day of the Dead is my favorite.
Although, the Biker scene in Dawn of the Dead is hard to beat.

Back to the game at hand...

I have the radio playing my song, and I used the old , and . keys to adjust the music volume.
That overrides the ambience adjustments too, so the user can't make the Night into Day.
I fixed a few bugs in my character scripts, and made a few tweaks like muting sounds that were happening prematurely. (dang fire decals)
I also made a little girl (Karen) out of the MP4 Clerk by scaling her down and using the same face that I used for Helen so she would resemble mom.
Of course I needed a Zombie version of her too and that is done.

The only thing left to do is to make a zombie version of Helen, random wandering zombie groan effects, and set up all the zombies to spawn.
I also have to go down the list of entities and create my list for the Credits, and then make a video for that.
The credits will take me awhile, but I should have this thing wrapped up in another couple of weeks or so if things go as planned.

Edit
I attached a picture showing the new Karen.
The zombie wasn't scary enough (top) so I modifed the eyes a bit and got it looking better (bottom).
It is the same model as Barbara, and the clerk uniform looks enough like a school uniform that I left it alone.
Changing the face did make her look more like Helen though.

Conjured Entertainment

Attachments

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2010 13:06
BUMP!

The work here is really good! I like your retextures and hope to see more.

Quote: "so the user can't make the Night into Day"

Yeah, they would get Day of the Dead on top of Night of the Living Dead.

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2010 20:23 Edited at: 24th Apr 2010 20:44
Quote: "I like your retextures and hope to see more."

They are about as simple as a re-texture can get, but Thanks!

Here is the WIP for the Zombie version of Helen...

As you can see, it needs more work.
This was just a bit of playing around with the eyes, etc.
I'm thinking of adding a Trial sticking out of her chest.
I may opt to remodel the Zombie Nurse (take off the hat), so I can get a funky walk for her too but maybe not since Karen doesn't have one.

Conjured Entertainment

Attachments

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2010 21:35 Edited at: 24th Apr 2010 21:36
Quote: "I'm thinking of adding a Trial sticking out of her chest.
I may opt to remodel the Zombie Nurse (take off the hat), so I can get a funky walk for her too but maybe not since Karen doesn't have one."

LOL
Double post , so why not quote myself, eh?

I decided to go with a stock crouch for her slow approach, and gave her the slap attack, which is made from another stock animation.
Once I put the trial stuck in her upper stomach area, then the player will see it clearly as she slaps and realize why she was hunched over as she walked.

Conjured Entertainment

Attachments

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2010 10:14 Edited at: 25th Apr 2010 10:15
Has to be said, I totally loved this movie, the intro scene in the graveyard set the tone throughout the film and kept me glued all the way, great idea and nice to see someone taking the time to put so much detail into a game, wish you good luck on this one CE and I reckon if anyone could finish it you could
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2010 23:41 Edited at: 25th Apr 2010 23:42
Quote: "great idea and nice to see someone taking the time to put so much detail into a game, wish you good luck on this one CE "

Thanks
I should have put more time in it, but...

Here is an update on the Zombie version of Helen, and I think this about wraps her up, so moving on...

Conjured Entertainment

Attachments

Defy
FPSC BOTB Developer
VBOTB Developer '09
Years of Service
User Offline
All the best with this CE, I remember seeing some info via your site.
Great idea to run in fpsc and I'm sure the hard work will make a great playable game.

demo released.
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2010 02:31
As the film is in black and white why are you not making the game in black and white also, I think what Id do if I was you is make it B+W and use a bit of bloom, why, because bloom pushes out the mid tones, these older B+W files tend to be hard images with the contrast pushed and less in mid tones, bloom tends to do that to an image.

I randomly picture search
http://whoyoucallingaskeptic.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/night-of-the-living-dead.jpg
http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/brainiac/livingdead.jpg
http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Politics/images-2/Night-of-the-Living-Dead-1.jpg
http://mendthiscrack.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/night-of-the-living-dead.jpg

See what I mean.
Also could you youtube or simular to the videos you make so people dont have to download them.

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2010 00:33 Edited at: 29th Apr 2010 01:05
Quote: "All the best with this CE"

Thanks
It is nice to have some of the best of best supporting my efforts.
Thanks guys!

Quote: "As the film is in black and white why are you not making the game in black and white also"

They only filmed in Black and White because of budget constraints.
I have budget constraints too, which doesn't allow for the extra time it would take to retexture every entity and segment that I'm using.
Simple answer is, because the assets I am using are in color and I don't see where colorizing the gameplay is going to have a negative effect.
I had thought of doing it in black and white but it would take too much time for an effect that will probably yield very little appreciation in return.
I don't think many people will be complaining that its not black and white, or that many will expect it to be.

Quote: " randomly picture search"

I agree that the lighting in some of the older black and white films left a lot to be desired.
Most of the redistributions of this film have corrected the lighting issues even in the non-colorized versions.
It actually took a little bit of effort on my part to find a copy of the original footage (bad lighting) to use.
The other versions are copyrighted by the redistributors that made their changes, so I needed the original to be legit.

I do not see the need to intentionally make the lighting of the game worse to match the old footage.
We can make it clear and in color for the gameplay since it will save time.
I may make a black and white version too if enough fans complain, but since I'm not getting paid for any of this, I doubt there will be enough complaints.

Quote: "Also could you youtube or simular to the videos you make so people dont have to download them."

I can usually do whatever I set my mind to in FPSC as long as its something that is possible, but I doubt that I can access a video from YouTube for a cutscene.
That seems to still be distributing the film in violation of the copyrights. (can't put it up for everyone to see everywhere)

I am only making the demo with the original film footage for the cutscenes now.

The download for the demo will require the visitor to attest to the fact that they live in a country where the original film is in the public domain.
Once they attest to that fact, then they will be directed to the download.

I may replace these cutscenes with ones made in FPSC once it gets the lip synching feature, but until then, they'll have to wait.
The idea here would be to set up the scene in FPSC just like my cutscenes using the film, then use those same audio tracks for the voices and sound.
The time factor comes into play here though because this is only a fan based game and not a commercial project, so that will be on the back burner.
It would give me a chance to play around with the FPSC lip synching though, so it may come to be after all.

Conjured Entertainment

starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "That seems to still be distributing the film in violation of the copyrights. "

I found this for you on the copyright issue.

This should give you some more freedom to design. If you want to read it yourself look here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_of_the_Living_Dead

Good luck!

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2010 03:53 Edited at: 29th Apr 2010 04:08
Quote: "I found this for you on the copyright issue."

I am all too familiar with the story, but thanks anyway.

Quote: "In 1968, United States copyright law required "

That is my point; It is only public domain in the United States and other countries that had similar laws.
Many European Nations had copyright laws that protected the author's rights better than the U.S., so it is not public domain in all of the world just because of U.S. law at the time.
Therefore, global distribution is not legal unless it is done properly, which means restricting the download where it is in the public domain.
The honor method is best for me, because the recipient is responsible for the legalities in their jurisdictions, not me.
Since I am in the U.S. it will be okay for me to distribute it, but only in a way that respects the international copyright laws.

Quote: "The download for the demo will require the visitor to attest to the fact that they live in a country where the original film is in the public domain.
Once they attest to that fact, then they will be directed to the download."

I cannot know the legalities of the entire world, but it is easy for each individual to know the laws for their own home.

Quote: "As of October 2, 2008, it was the Internet Archive's second most downloaded film, with 515,561 downloads."

LOL
Imagine that.

Conjured Entertainment

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2010 16:01
Quote: "some of the best of best"

Let me correct: Very best of the best.

And the Helen "flesh eater" looks nice. This totally makes me want to do a project based off of a movie I like! I love it! It's awesome!

SekoIdiootti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2010 17:44
Quote: "That is my point; It is only public domain in the United States and other countries that had similar laws.
Many European Nations had copyright laws that protected the author's rights better than the U.S., so it is not public domain in all of the world just because of U.S. law at the time."

Well, as far as I know, in the EU there's the same law in the copyrights than in USA. But I might be wrong, though... But I'm not sure.

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2010 20:48
Time factor, use actions in photoshop.
Its not a question about bad lighting, its the film stock.

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2010 00:24 Edited at: 30th Apr 2010 04:40
Quote: "Let me correct: Very best of the best."

I was referring to Rolfy as well, and not just Defy.
But, thanks to everyone for their support, whether you are the best of the best, the best of the worst, or like me; the worst of the worst.

Quote: "And the Helen "flesh eater" looks nice. This totally makes me want to do a project based off of a movie I like! I love it! It's awesome!"

Thanks and I hope it inspires others to do the same with the public domain stuff.
HelenZ turned out better than I had expected considering what little time I spent on her. (the trowel was easy and sets her off)
I needed to put a tie on Harry, because it was really starting to bug me more and more every time I looked at him.
I gave him the tie and we started talking and somehow we got on the subject of Tai Chi, and it was during his showing off his moves that I snapped the picture. (see attached)
Just kidding about the Tai Chi, but the tie is a definite improvement when considering the image in the first post.

If this was the number 2 download at Internet Archive, then I wonder what was #1 for 2008.
It also makes me wonder about 2009 and 2010 so far.
It seems that many of the top downloaded public domain movies could make a good game since they have the fan base.

Quote: "Well, as far as I know, in the EU there's the same law in the copyrights than in USA. But I might be wrong, though... But I'm not sure."

Don't forget, we are talking about the laws in the last century when the movie was released, and not present day laws.
I'm going on what Mr. Romero has said about it in the past.
He said that they didn't make squat off of it here in the US, but they were able to get paid for box office receipts in parts of Europe because they had copyrights under their laws.

Quote: "Time factor, use actions in photoshop.
Its not a question about bad lighting, its the film stock."

I don't use Photoshop.
I use Paint.NET instead, and yes I could do it but it is too tedious for me to do every texture for every entity and segment, and skybox, and blood, etc...
I'm not knocking the idea, because as I said I had considered it myself.
I just don't have the free time right now to sit down and go through the process for every single texture.
Maybe in another version, but the demo's gameplay will be in color.

Conjured Entertainment

Attachments

AlanC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2010 08:00
I remember seeing a poster for this game on your website for like 2 years. Now it looks like you got it going which is great. I will greatly look forward to the development of this. Even though I thought NOTLD was only an okay movie.

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2010 15:27
Quote: "could make a good game since they have the fan base"

Wow... if someone made a game of chocolate and this would work on it, that would be a HIT!

Lol'd about the Tai Chi thing. Nice tie, I couldn't make better.. You are very good with Paint.NET. I use it too, great program isn't it.

cloudwalker
Years of Service
User Offline
Superb!!!!!!!
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
This is looking like a great game and a great idea, I'm sure this film is Public Domain in the uk aswell.

I'm liking the re-textures as well can't wait to play this and keep up the good work.

Best s4real

Pack ya games with vishnu fpsc packer its free.
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2010 03:27 Edited at: 13th May 2010 21:15
Quote: "I remember seeing a poster for this game on your website for like 2 years. Now it looks like you got it going which is great. I will greatly look forward to the development of this."

Thanks

Quote: "Even though I thought NOTLD was only an okay movie."

It's okay, we understand... not everybody can have good taste.

Quote: "Nice tie, I couldn't make better.."

I couldn't either, that is why I used the one Bond1 made on the Security Guard in Model Pack 4!
All I did was change the colors and gave it to Harry.

Quote: "You are very good with Paint.NET. I use it too, great program isn't it."

Thanks, but I still have a long way to go.
Yes, Paint.NET is a fantastic program.

Quote: "Superb!!!!!!! "

Thanks

Quote: "I'm sure this film is Public Domain in the uk aswell."

That would be cool.

Quote: "I'm liking the re-textures as well can't wait to play this and keep up the good work."

Thanks guys for all the positive feedback.

Edit
So, I got Bond's Zombie Apocalypse pack to get my hands on another one of his shaders.
I was able to get the Zombie from the cemetery done, but then I played with the sliders in CrazyBump on KarenZ and messed hers up... (see attached video)
It may be awhile before I get shaders working for all the characters, so that may have to wait.

Conjured Entertainment

Attachments

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2010 21:14
The lip sync in the latest update, as well as Bond1's new shaders, requires a rebuild of the game.
So, just as I was about to be done...I have to start all over again.
But that is okay, because I have all the scripts already worked out, and all of my assets in place so it won't be as bad as it sounds.
I'll just have to modify a few of those talking characters to look like the movie's characters (they were already scripted to talk) so the lip sync can be added.
Then using Bond's new shader I can do the black and white idea because it is a fullscreen shader and I won't have to retexture every asset.
So, even though I have to say, sorry I rang the bell too soon, the wait will be worth it.
I plan to get my hand on Bond1's new character shaders for some dynamic shadows too!

to be continued...

Conjured Entertainment

Seth Black
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2010 21:27
...this looks outstanding, Conjured Entertainment.

I look forward to playing this, one day.

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2010 21:29
Quote: "Got that right! No-one makes zombies like Romero!"

^ This ^ Any game based on a Romero Zombie flick is full of WIN in my book!

I game therefore I am.
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2010 20:24
Thank god you gave some update on this, I was about to do the major bump or FPSC Chat thread asking about this one.

My old YouTube account got deleted. My new account is called MetalFPSC. thanks for your time!
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2010 15:34 Edited at: 25th Sep 2010 15:54
I have started adding in some of the latest features like the lip sync ....(see attached video)
So, some of the characters look different now because I had to swap them for talkers, but I'm still working on it.
I am also going to use Bond's full screen cinematic shader to make this black and white. (thanks Bond!!!)

I have to break the level in half to add the new stuff since I was at the 1.8 gb limit already because of the cutscenes. (this week's task)
So, I still have some more work to re-do, but I plan to get alot done if not all of it before Bond's planar character shadow shader comes out.
Then' I'll add that in and call it a wrap!

Quote: "I look forward to playing this, one day. "

Yeah right, a three year wait for thirty minutes of fun.
It will probably be a disappointment for those who have known about it all this time, but Romero fans who know nothing about FPSC might enjoy it more.

Quote: "^ This ^ Any game based on a Romero Zombie flick is full of WIN in my book!"

That's what I'm talking about.
You will like my next project too.

Conjured Entertainment

Attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 22:54:20
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 22:54:20