Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / 2D With 3D Effect Question.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey; I noticed that old ps1 games such as RE2 and whatnot appear to have 3D characters on 2D environments. The way I figured this was done was with backdrops and sprites; Perhaps in this manner -> . But if that's the case, what commands specifically are used to determine if a 3D object is in front of, or behind a 2D sprite?
Xarcolt
Years of Service
User Offline
Excuse the additional post; the image I was referring to wasn't uploaded, so here's an attached copy.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
chafari
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2010 12:04 Edited at: 11th Apr 2010 12:04
Even in 3D games,you can find 2D sprites that looks like 3D, and they really are but just the secuense of images of a 3D object.Let say that what we see on screen, is just an animation and not a 3D in real time. In your image, it looks just flat image.

cheers.

I'm not a grumpy grandpa

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Xarcolt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2010 21:06 Edited at: 11th Apr 2010 21:13
The image is a screen-shot someone took of RE2 game-play though; I've played it and those really are 3D. I was wondering how to replicate that kind of 3D on 2D environment; I think in knowing how to do that, one can make spectacular games that run on even the cheapest of machines
chafari
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2010 00:26
I`v seen right now an example in youtube and I realized that you meant RE2 resident evil 2 ...I think that all level is in 3D...mmmm

cheers.

I'm not a grumpy grandpa
Xarcolt
Years of Service
User Offline
so um, is selectively choosing 3D objects to overlap 2D sprites too possible? It seems kinda hard to believe that they'd absolutely have to be separated..
Kira Vakaan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2010 23:42
You could texture plane objects with your background and position them at varying depths so your character object can move between them.
Xarcolt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2010 17:30 Edited at: 17th Apr 2010 17:36
Does the color black act as a transparency even on planes then? And would this cause complications in ever trying to make the game multi-player? (note: it'd still be really nice if sprites could be used with 3D (like they are in so many other games))
mistsnake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2010 02:39
the ps had a minimal ability to produce 3d so it kept things to a minimal and displayed a pre-rendered 3d backdrop, characters were 3d (at least RE2 on n64 was and given it was a straight port) and things like doors and gates were sometimes. Its likely a basic 3d collision space was used so that 3d effect of distance is created with characters and quick loading of next scenes within a level (excluding those long delays when it showed only a door opening, a relic of the ps1 slow disk access loading into memory)
the alone in the dark series also used this method of basic 3d in a 2d world with the fixed camera angles.. and used 3d more if memory serves but the characters were even more basic in form.
But there is absolutely nothing stopping you doing a game in 3d and fix camera'ing it, which is what RE4 does if memory is't failing
As to your original question, the answer is 3d space mixed with prioritise sprite drawing - I.E. if you're gonna go to the trouble of creating 2d background and other parts like walls.. you simply assign the wall a depth... if your char is lower depth, further away.. the wall is draw after you char is, if not then you char is draw after the wall - this allows you to do a pillar where your char can move in front and behind... then simply collision check it all
Xarcolt
Years of Service
User Offline
So, draw foreground sprite elements for when the character is behind the corresponding objects? If so, I like it! Just how can I replicate this effect for multiple 3D characters at different depths?
mistsnake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2010 02:43 Edited at: 30th Jun 2010 00:19
well it'd require some pre draw house keeping basically.. theres probably various ways to do it but a simple sort of things by z depth level program checks depth of all obects and draws the next thing that has highest but below the one that just been draw.. right down to the last thing to be drawn (z buffer usually is 0 for closest to screen and whatever bit depth number you use as max)

but this would give it that you simple have the prog checking the background and chars and drawing which ever one has the next draw priority.. its basically automatic, though perhaps a simple loop to check for multiple things at same depth level.. in which case it draws first object first unless you make it more complicated but i don't think there a need for that really

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 16:28:08
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 16:28:08