Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Runescape type game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all, I have been looking for a product which will allow me to develop a runescape type game where the program runs fully within internet explorer and no client sofwater is downloaded or required.

Runsecape can be found at www.runescape.com and uses Java. I have a good but very rusty knowledge of visual basic and I am wondering if Darkbasic Pro will fulfill this requirement ?
Xyus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2010 16:21 Edited at: 12th Apr 2010 16:24
I don't believe it can run in a browser. I believe the only online capabilities of DBPro involve the use of client software.

However, I rarely use any of the online capabilities of DBPro, so I'm not 100% sure (More like 87%), so wait for some one else to confirm that before you make your choice.

What I can be sure of is, if DBPro doesn't have such capabilities, You should take a look at Java, Flash(If you can get it fast enough to handle a full MMO(It always seems slow to me)), or Silverlight(if you are willing to take the risk it may not work as you intended in browsers other than IE)
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2010 23:50 Edited at: 13th Apr 2010 00:02
Actually, I thought the same as Xyus until I read one of the older TGC newsletters the other day.

It was newsletter 37 and the program was called igLoader:

Web Site: http://www.igloader.com

Actually, scrub that. Seems it no longer exists... sorry.

TDK

luskos
Years of Service
User Offline
Even if it`s possible i think java is not picked by coincidence and that`s why you need to learn java for this.

For any other type of game, dbpro is absolutely capable to manage it.
The question is if you can do it?

Where there is a will, there is a way.
I often edit my posts, that`s who i am
Paulmac
Years of Service
User Offline
Well I have written a commercial computer game in the past albeit a while ago. Two Commodore 64 games called Jouste and Krazy Kars but that was back in 1984 and written mainly in assembly language and pure machine code.

I have just been taking a look at Microsofts XNA platform and writing in C# but cant say I am overly happy with the networking support for it. Many complaints of lag and the way they want you to purchase Live premium annual accounts to write multiplayer games puts me off.

I am still swayed towards using Darkbasic, I dont fancy learning Java, their are too many programming languages swimming around in my head as it is so I guess I am going to have to drop the idea of a Internet explorer interfaced game.
Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2010 04:13
it would seem all newcomers to programming would love to make the now runescape now wouldn't it?
but anyway, do some googling, your bound to find some answers there

Google.com. Nuff Said

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 18:18:22
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 18:18:22