Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Halo ... FINALLY!!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2003 05:23
oki, a few of you may remember about 4years ago there was a little game by a company called Bungie.
a ground breaking graphical game which was destined for the PC using some state of the art physics and a totally original story that only Bungie's twisted mind could've really come up with.

That was until microsoft lurched out of the shadows with its big black hand and pulled bungies new title kicking and screaming onto the black and green monster called the XBox.

.. well we all know what title this is, obviously its bungie and we had originally been told once the XBox version was out we'd get it on the PC.
Well only around a year and a half after mircosoft promised this, and we're finally getting it HURRAY!
Recently shown off at a gamers tournament, lucky finalised actually got to play the PC version which has been sitting on bungies shelve gathering dusty before the XBox version was a twinkle in the big greens eye.
Curiously though, no actual release date has been set - but the fact that the stores are already taking pre-orders would suggest very very soon.

Maybe Microsoft wanna cash in right before HL2 hits the shelves - wouldn't surprise me, as its thier style. but personally i'm glad that i'll finally get to play this bloody title the ONLY way it should've been played. With a Keyboard and Mousie!

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2003 11:04
Damn straight.

Btw, do you know if Halo 2 will follow the same process or is the PC version getting some more priority?

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2003 11:06
Quote: "personally i'm glad that i'll finally get to play this bloody title the ONLY way it should've been played. With a Keyboard and Mousie!"

Nope - you missed the entire charm of Halo - it's the split-screen co-op mode. Myself and a mate just completed it on the Legendary skill setting and it is without a doubt the best 2 player game ever. I like using the XBox controllers on Halo because everything is close at hand, to zoom you simply press the right thumbstick in - no taking your eyes of the screen to find your zoom key.

Van-B

My cats breath smells of cat food.
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2003 11:20
Van Van Van

A Good PC Player dont need to look down, i mean my 'idle hand' position when using a pc is on the RTCW key positions

Oh and i use a good lot of /bind makes life easier

Web Design Starting from $200. Special limited offer. MSN or Email me for more information.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2003 11:35
damn straight Martyn
JK2 i have around 30 preset keys, from the WASD position i can press all the needed combinations without looking down.
gives me totally control to the force powers, items, and all the delightful emoticons (and my taunts hehee, god can't kill people without taunting them about it )

MushroomHead
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2003 12:16
Who's even going to buy Halo? It's out of date, has been superceeded by Planetside and heck, it's got bad competition from HL2 (only 2 weeks to go!). Also X2 is on my list, it's setting new standards from where Freelancer left off.

- Rav.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2003 12:53
Hehe, come on guys, I can't be the only one who prefers consoles! - Honestly, once you get used to controllers for FPS games you don't really care about the mouse anymore, especially when you can slouch down and get comfy when playing - instead of hunched over a greasy keyboard . For example, I have a keyboard and mouse for the Dreamcast, never use them though, and I play FPS games like SOF, Quake3 and Unreal all the time on that. The worst controller for FPS games has to be the PS2, thumbs are always too close together for my liking.

I do prefer the keyboard and mouse for the R6 style games, but Halo is pure arcade shooting as opposed to sneaking round corners. For me, I'd rather buy XBox FPS games than the PC counterparts because of the multiplayer. The next game I get will be, Wolfenstein on the Xbox, because it has 2 player co-op (It does'nt matter if the game is not great - your always guaranteed a laugh with 2 players).

Looking forward to Halo2 though, it does look pretty sweet.

Van-B

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2003 13:07
Its funny, when the XBOX and Halo first came out, I sent an E-Mail to Microsoft asking if Halo would be converted. At the time they say 'no, it wont be converted as its an XBOX only game'...

Avatar & Logo by Indi. Come to the UK DBPro Convention in Chichester
MushroomHead
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2003 14:05
Chrome looks good (comes out on Friday), another Halo beater
Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2003 14:23
Dont worry Van B, I got an XBox, and I got the XBox version of Halo.
I'm horrible at it like every other game, but it's still fun.

Dark Basic Pro has arived! I can feel the power!
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2003 14:53
Hah me and my friend love playin Co Op Halo Van Unfortunatly we both are kinda bad at it so we play on the easiest level Its still fun tho - throwing a nade into a group of those little munchin guys and then hearing EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!! as they fly out

RPGamer

Current Project: Eternal Destiny
Porting all files to my new computer
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2003 15:05
Hehe, Halo rocks!

My fave is to get a shotgun and disappear into a pack of flood beasties blasting all the time - you get to a point where you just keep the fire button pressed, so you reload 1 shell, shoot, reload etc etc - until you run out of enemies . That's something I love about it too, the enemies stay around, so after a mad blasting marathon you always get to admire the mess you just made all over the walls, ceiling and floor. Or you can time plasma grenades perfectly, if a creature is running up a corridor and you hide round the corner, practise throwing plasma grenades before it gets round the corner, if you get it right it lands on the little git milliseconds before blowing him up.

We've played through all 4 difficulty settings, and to tell the truth I found it fairly difficult to start with, but nowadays it's all instinct - that's the sign of a classic game - like when you play manic miner and can still remember the timing for all the levels. The secret is to choose your weapons wisely for the enemies you'll face. The shotgun is not great for covenant but amazing for flood, the covenant pistol and the shotgun are good for sentinels, machine gun is best for the chicken-floods, sniper rifle is great for disarming the turrets etc etc etc, all practice.

I love the Warthogs though, indistructable, infinate ammo, great stunts, fairly manouverable. But the machine gun sucks, in Halo2 they've added Warthogs with scorpian tank style shells .

Van-B

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2003 16:47
Quote: "Who's even going to buy Halo? "

Well I am, for one.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2003 18:53
Quote: "Its funny, when the XBOX and Halo first came out, I sent an E-Mail to Microsoft asking if Halo would be converted. At the time they say 'no, it wont be converted as its an XBOX only game'..."

actually the funnier thing was that Halo for the PC was finished 6months before the XBox version.
it's been gold for over 2years ready to ship at anytime.
Microsoft first said they wanted to wait to see how popular it was on the XBox then released that Christmas, next they said it would never be released.

Quote: "Who's even going to buy Halo? It's out of date, has been superceeded by Planetside and heck, it's got bad competition from HL2 (only 2 weeks to go!). Also X2 is on my list, it's setting new standards from where Freelancer left off."

i already have it pre-ordered, the graphics on the PC version always were far more amazing than the XBox version - although the XB set really a standard and was one of the first to utilise Shaders ... the simple fact was Bungie developed the PC version to truely take advantage of the then released Radeon 9600pro & GeForce 4800ti cards as well as far faster processors.

Graphically speaking it could quite easily go head to head with most other FPS games on the market, liks Unreal2.
Although yeah its behind HL2's graphics - quite frankly almost every other game on the market is behind HL2's graphics, and they're going to be for a very very good while.
Only Doom3 is actually technically matching the graphical depth, and annoyingly the XBox will be seeing its versions first (even though id are not the ones converting it and Doom3 is gold already, gotta love MS's deals eh)

Quake4 is also due out next year from Raven Software.
You have STALKER however there is no official release date and continuting problems with not so much the speed but the comptability and smoothness of the graphics is what is holding back a release.

Quote: "Hehe, come on guys, I can't be the only one who prefers consoles!"

there will be no serious FPS player who will prefer a console, simple fact being is that between an Optical mouse and a Gamepad 3D Stick, the 3D Stick doesn't carry the resolution needed for pin-point actions - doesn't have the speed needed for ultra-quick turning and doesn't have the same overall control that a mouse has in general.

Most annoying thing for a Console FPS is the fact that the 'mouselook' as it were is oftenly determined that left still is centred view and the edges are max turning as soon as you let go of the stick ::!poof!:: you have a centred view again.
not saying the controls aren't fun, i'm just saying that in all seriousness the PC has better 'look' control and has more buttons at your fingertips than you'll ever need.

PS2/GC/XBox all have 12 buttons under the fingers,
WASD controld have 5 immediate (QEZXC) + Ctrl/Space/Shift/Alt/Tab then you have the not so immediate 12345RFV ... and most gamers after a while get used to the layout not so much of the board but for thier particular game, so you can quickly press almost the whole board without moving.
Not to mention any serious PC FPS gamer will have a 3button mouse with scroll wheel, which gives you another 3 buttons but item/weapon quick swapping at your fingers.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2003 18:57 Edited at: 17th Sep 2003 19:01
I certainly want to get it - the controls on the XBOX version aren't great (very fiddly), so it'll be nice to use something easier. Consoles are no good for these types of games.

Plus, my Dad doesn't like split-screen games (eye trouble), so if the network version is more or less the same as the multi-player on the XBOX, I can see him getting very involved...

I do hope Microsoft are going to convert some of their other games - Midtown Madness 3 being one of them...

Raven - do you have a working e-mail address for Midway ? I've been trying to e-mail them for ages, but all e-mail addresses are being rejected. I want to find out when SpyHunter 2 is being released on the PC...

WOLFY
Years of Service
User Offline
I kind of agree with VanB. Some FPS games are just as fun on a console as they would be on a PC... although in a slightly different way. HALO is definately on of those games. It is "arcadey" enough for console controls. A game like Rainbow 6 would have a hard time though because of the accuarcy required.
I played the original Half-life at work every day at lunch for over 2 years. We had 4 people playing deathmatch and because of different mods available the game never grew old. I would probably still be playing it if I didn't switch jobs.
A few months ago I was really into playing HALO deathmatch with some friends. We had 2 X-Box's and 2 TV's with 6 people playing. That game was every bit as much fun as any FPS game that I've ever played on a computer. The console just gives it more of an arcade feel to it.
Microsoft is not bad for not releasing HALO on the computer earlier. HALO was the MAIN title for the X-Box. It would have been dumb for them to release it on the computer. That title sold many consoles for them. It is just good business and Billy isn't the richest man in the world because he is stupid.

WOLF

HOOOWWWLLL!!!
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2003 19:44 Edited at: 17th Sep 2003 19:45
True, although Bungie could have said 'Yes, Bill, you can have Halo, but only after its been released for the PC, and after a bit of modding', although they probably said: 'Yes, Bill, you can have Halo, but only after its been released for the PC, and after a bit of modding. Whats that ? You want to give us a nice bit of wonga and a free pizza if we release it for the XBOX first ? How can we afford not to pass up this opportunity ? And yes, we will also call you 'Your Lordship' And whats that ? You dont want the PC version released for ages ? No problem, your Lordship - what PC version ?'

Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2003 19:55
Back to PC vs. Con controllers.

I would say that FPS and RTS are best on the PC, basically casue the speed and comforability. I mean how easy it is to cycle though like 6 weapons with a controller?? I mean you dead before you select it and load it and get to fire. With a PC it is 1 - 6, you get easy fblr movements with 4 keys and can universilly look with the mouse. None of this look lr move fb with left analog and move lr look ud with the right. (Which is is some and not in others)

Also, with games like RTCW you can be say a engineer and go to the console and type /bind mine mouse2 (or mouse2 mine, me never medic) or when leutenant set it up for smoke.

I hate playing FPS on the PS2, also the lack of expandability is zero, completed it 3 times? No chance of d/l custom maps or skins.

Pfft, keep consols for the THPS series, racing games and Beat 'em ups. Thats what i say

Web Design Starting from $200. Special limited offer. MSN or Email me for more information.
WOLFY
Years of Service
User Offline
Can you blame Bungie? Anyone would do the same. My best friend works as a 3D artist for a gaming company now owned by Microsoft. I don't hear many complaints from him about how Microsoft handles things.
Microsoft makes good business moves. Bungie is better off working with Microsoft than anyone else. What Bill wants, Bill gets. Cost is irrelevant.

HOOOWWWLLL!!!
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2003 20:12
I prefer keyboard and mouse to a console for playing an fps - alows much more control.

(p.s. am I the only one who found the halo controls... well... awful?)

c:/dos
c:/dos run
run dos run
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2003 21:06
I think FPS work best on the PC. I stopped looking at the keyboard a while back-- playing FPS has actually helped my typing speed-- you've got so many more possibilities with a keyboard and mouse...

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball
Read It: http://www.angryflower.com/itsits.gif
Learn It: http://www.angryflower.com/bobsqu.gif
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2003 21:17
yup

lol

We win Raven, We win.

KNau
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2003 21:29
Just for the record the PC adaptation is developed by Gear Box and not technically by Bungie.

"Life drives you nuts babe. Cuz if you ain't certain. It'll kick you in the guts, babe. And leave ya hurtin'" - Motorhead
Darksyde
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2003 22:24 Edited at: 17th Sep 2003 22:26
nah consoles far superior overall, goldeneye, perfect dark, halo. what can i say xbox is gona be blessed wiv the new perfect dark, so im thinkin maybe i should finally buy one, afterall iv been using my mates all the time for bout a year now. prefer joypad control myself, altho im partial to a bit of AVP2 on my pc. note Van best weapons on halo for multi r both pistols, standard pistol just owns whereas u charge in wiv the plasma blast them then melee them in the face, sorted. gota love the sniper too though for shear style!

oh forgot to mention consoles got timesplitters 2 aswell

note. custom maps can be done on timesplitters
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2003 22:29
Quote: "Just for the record the PC adaptation is developed by Gear Box and not technically by Bungie."

NO... Bungie made the PC version, it was ADAPTED to the XBox - recompiled to take advantage of the setup.
Halo is 100% Bungies ... Gearbox has nothing to do with it.

i mean your welcome to explain to me a game that Bungie finished 2years ago for the PC before the XBox release would need to be adapted from the XBox by another company that quite frankly appears to have adapted most titles under the sun but have only actually released 2 titles themselves?

(its also a bafflement of why a Valve Corporation company would be allowed to help out Microsoft, Valve and Microsoft dont' even see close to eye-to-eye)

-- -- --

that aside you guys know that Bill Gates is only a figure head right? he has no real power in Microsoft anymore, especially since he stepped down as the CEO. (kinda like the Royal Family is to Britian)
its amusing and ignorant that Windows' problems are all blamed on him considering he has hardly a genius coder and further more he hasn't done any programming in any of the lastest Windows ... then we get around to the XBox a project that Bill Gates has been vocally against since the beginning.

Bungie had no choice in the matter of the XBox release and persponement of the PC version. Microsoft are the publishers remember - final decision lies on THIER shoulders, they also own Bungie as a subsiduary company which means if they want to keep getting paid they'll developer for whatever platform Microsoft chooses for them.
Although all of Microsofts companies get free reign on what they develop (infact this is why MS bought them up, because they're not generic clone makers of the industry) - they still get final say over everything.

Just look at what Eidos did to Core, and that's all above board - not exactly nice but they're within thier rights to do it all as they're the publisher.
Microsoft has just as much if not more control over Bungie... they're good businessmen - but considering Bungie has made thier reputation on the PC it has pissed off alot of thier older standing fans that Halo wasn't released. It's also Bungie we can thank that it is finally comming to the PC, as they're the ones who suggested to Microsoft that it could be the game shown off at a recent gamers leauge ... and from that use the reputation of the XBox version to sell copies - which no doubt it will.

ignorance of these things is kinda annoying ... Bungie maybe happy like other companies on how Microsoft treat them, but every single company bar one are actually just going with Microsoft's flow.
No one has a reason to complain, Mircosoft pay thier companies well without much pressure and overbearing influence - as a result they get outstanding titles made.
The complains have never been from within about what is going on, the complaints have always been from the fans like myself who spent all that time supporting a game that we though we'd get to see for our current platform just for Microsoft to take it away and not allow us to have it.

I and other like me maybe only a fraction of the gameing population, however we are also part of the most loyal fraction that are going to follow a series through thick'n'thin - i've followed Core's Tomb Raider through the past 9years rollercoaster, and i will continue to support Circle's new titles just as much.

We might not be big money for Microsoft, but at the end of the day we're the ones who are more likely to purchase a game despite a bad review.

Yian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2003 22:35
ok this might sound out of place here...but I just want to say to everybody that a game like planetside but better has just come out...and no monthly fee... check out http://www.s2games.com/ and be blown away

-john D.
KNau
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2003 23:01
"Halo is 100% Bungies ... Gearbox has nothing to do with it."

Quotes from Bungie's own website:
"Bungie partnered with Gearbox Software to bring Halo to the PC. Both groups are working very closely to ensure that the PC conversion delivers the best possible experience when it is released.

"Gearbox Software was selected to handle this conversion due to their expertise and experience with PC first person shooters. We have full confidence in the product they are working on and our team is working very closely with the folks at Gearbox. "

"Gearbox successfully created engaging environments, added weapons and vehicles, to emphasize what makes playing a multiplayer Halo game so fun."

From Gearbox's website:
"With the PC version of Halo, Gearbox Software is once again doing what they do best - taking a really cool game and making it even cooler. Taking full advantage of all the benefits offered by the PC platform, Gearbox is creating a game that will be a must-have for both existing Halo fans and PC action-game fans alike."

Gamespy Quotes:
"We're in the main conference room at Gearbox Software's Plano, Texas, offices, where President Randy Pitchford has just loaded up the PC version of Halo on a large overhead projector...

...So when is Halo coming for PC? According to Pitchford, it's "sometime in September," so we're just scant weeks away from seeing the game on our PCs. "

Computer and Video Games.com
"we were talking with Microsoft about a few different things, and they said: "Hey, by the way, we're trying to do Halo on PC but we're having trouble finding the right people."

"The Bungie producer practically moved into Gearbox! In the initial phases we met together to talk about their ideas and our ideas to develop a core philosophy about spending all our creative efforts on the multiplayer side of things, and preserving what was so great about the single-player game."

E3 Awards.com
Halo PC (Gearbox/Bungie/Microsoft for PC)

UGO.com
"Of course, Bungie aren't the ones delivering the PC adaptation of their hit first-person shooter, leaving the honors to Gearbox Studios."

I could go on and on but you get the point. Raven, I was simply trying to make a clarification, it wasn't meant as an attack on your credibility. Instead of babbling, try researching before you express something as fact.

"Life drives you nuts babe. Cuz if you ain't certain. It'll kick you in the guts, babe. And leave ya hurtin'" - Motorhead
WOLFY
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2003 23:27 Edited at: 17th Sep 2003 23:31
Quote: "The complains have never been from within about what is going on, the complaints have always been from the fans like myself who spent all that time supporting a game that we though we'd get to see for our current platform just for Microsoft to take it away and not allow us to have it."

I own a pretty nice PC, PS2, GameCube, and X-Box so I can play any game that comes out. It sucks when a title comes out on a platform that you don't have. It is something that you have to deal with though unless you want to invest some money. All publishers are going to do what is in their own best interest.
How exactly to you spend a lot of time supporting a game before it comes out. What do you do? Read a couple of previews... Talk in some Forums about it....
Microsoft is smart. Hey, you want the game.... buy our product to run it on.

*sigh*
I wonder if Raven will:
A)Argue with KNau's reply
B)say "oops!", my information was wrong
OR
C)completely dismiss the topic.
One of those options I've never seen him do before (Guess which one)

HOOOWWWLLL!!!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2003 02:01
the PC engine was near complete and showcased at E3 2001, was developed totally by Bungie prior to the take over.
Bungie then adapted Halo for the XBox... i'd like to know exactly what Gearbox could possible do? not to mention you mind explaining why only Bungie & Microsoft's logos were the ones banner displayed at the Gameing Leauge where it was first shown for the public?
I didn't see a Gearbox one there.

but whatever doesn't matter, if Gearbox have done anything with it i'd like to know what exactly ... the only thing i can think that they could possible have done for this is do the production work, like the manual, box art, PC installation CD.
The release is the October 2001 Build, it had that on the main screen for the version that was being played...

... ...

Wolfy don't you ever shut up? you don't have to comment on anything - and you don't like talking to me, so why do you even bother?

I own all of the consoles as well, the point isn't the fact of what i own to play it on... at the time that Halo first was released i didn't have one - and i was living in the UK where they were bloody expensive. What pissed me off about the whole affair was that we're sat there month after month seeing all of these fantastic PC shots, seeing the PC Rolling demo, hearing about all the amazing features that were gonna make it the best PC FPS ever...

then what happens? It is only released on the XBox, even though the PC one was COMPLETE... just like Doom3 is complete but we have to wait for the sodding XBox version of that too don't we.

Business sense would be not to irate your main target audience, business sense would be not to piss off the fans who sat there and suggested things all throughout the development and gave thier opinions on features and such which helped to make the game better and more for the gamers.
I don't care what kinda stupid sense is being put around, all i know is that it pisses me off when I know a game is finished yet it isn't being released ... just like it pisses me off to know that people in the UK who get the exact same sodding game thats released in the states had to wait upto 6months to get it.

I MEAN FGS BLACK & WHITE WAS DEVELOPED IN THE UK AND IT WAS RELEASED IN THE STATES 5MONTHS AHEAD OF THE UK!!!

i really don't give a damn about what publishers think is good business sense - but a games thats developed within the US gets better coverage within the UK just like on in the UK gets better coverage there...
although sure online mags now make everything globally (so everyone know how sodding long we have to wait), these online mags still don't get news or the same kinds of exclusives the magazines get!

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2003 02:56
I think I'll stay out of this one

Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2003 03:20
Quote: "it is without a doubt the best 2 player game ever"
nope, Gauntlet Legends

Got a knack for finding secrets??? Jingot Racing --- A new brand of Racing --- Only from Nightwatch Studios
"hey, it's tomorrow" --- Hamish
Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2003 03:27
Quote: "Quote: "it is without a doubt the best 2 player game ever"
nope, Gauntlet Legends "

Lies!!! Animal Crossing!!! Example:

*My cousin is playing the game, and I'm watching*
Cousin: Man, I can catch a fish
*5 minutes later he hasnt caught a fish yet*
Cousin: Why cant I catch a fish
Me: DAMMIT, GIVE ME THE DAMN CONTROLLER!!!!!!!
*Rips controller out of cousins hands and starts searching for a new fishing spot*
Me: This is how you do it
*Catches one of the fish worth 15,000 Bells*
Me: Always look for the big ones
Cousin: Thanks
Me: No problem
*Leave for half an hour*
*Come back, he's still playing*
Cousin: Ooops, I made one of the animals mad at me
Me: Now you piss em off even more
*Takes controller out of cousins hands, equips axe and walks to their house, which convieniently has a tree next too it*
Me: This is how you do it
*Chops down tree and laughs histerically as I pretend it smashes through the neighbors roof*
*end of example*

Best Multiplayer Game Ever

Dark Basic Pro has arived! I can feel the power!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2003 03:46
best 2 player game ever has to be chess - is there any doubt, over what 4,000years old and its still going ... there has gotta be something its doing right

Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2003 03:47
lol. I went to my friends house who had it and we wrote threatening letters to his sister's profile or whatever.

Got a knack for finding secrets??? Jingot Racing --- A new brand of Racing --- Only from Nightwatch Studios
"hey, it's tomorrow" --- Hamish
WOLFY
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Wolfy don't you ever shut up? you don't have to comment on anything - and you don't like talking to me, so why do you even bother?"

Um... No. Do you?
I never said I didn't like talking with you. I have every right to post on this topic (as do you). I don't disagree with you just to disagree. The problem is though that you either have really bad information sources OR you lie a lot.

And it IS good business sense. They don't care if they make you mad. They want you to buy their console. When HALO came out it was the ONLY decent game for the X-box. If they would have released it on PC also (and you had a decent PC) what would be the incentive for you to purchase their console? Sure it sucks for us. That I do agree with, but it IS good business.

Oh and Raven....
I do agree. Chess is the best 2 player game ever

HOOOWWWLLL!!!
CloseToPerfect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2003 06:11
The only HALO demo at the 2001 e3 was HALO for the XBOX, I was there. That was the debute of the XBOX and microsoft had a increditable display. If you all want to know what was highlighted at the 2001 e3 here's a link. Raven, I really don't know how you missed the 20 foot XBOX video of halo? Hell, for that matter the fact that Microsoft had the biggest display there. KNau, you're absolutly right HALO was developed for the XBOX first and ported over to the pc by Gearbox, under Bungies watchfull eye. Raven if you want to argue KNaus' facts please post your facts for everyone to see.

http://www.uhs-hints.com/articles/e3-2001/
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2003 12:06
I thought XBox games were all ported from the PC in some fashion - I mean they'd obviously develop the game on a PC linked to a development XBox. Ok the actual code would be for the XBox, but it can still be used to make the PC version. Perhaps the age of Halo played a part in the decision to delay the PC version, I mean when Halo was first released, it was at the forefront of technology even in PC terms - so waiting a couple of years for technology to catch up makes sense when releasing it on a brand new console. Consider that releasing 2 identical versions at that time would seriously deswade any PC owner from getting an X-Box, people had to believe the X-Box was the best games system available.

Hehe, Raven - I can think of a 2-player game that's older than chess and a lot more popular .

Van-B

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2003 20:09
@Raven

KNau is correct.

Gearbox are responsible for the PC release of HALO, see this page on their website for a list of links and more info.

http://www.gearboxsoftware.com/projects_halo.html

Here is an explanation from Bungie which answers all your questions re what is new in HALO PC, why Bungie didn't develop it alone etc.

http://www.bungie.net/perlbin/blam.pl?file=/site/0/databases/view_database.html&dbid=16943&

Kangaroo2 BETA2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2003 20:41
I also have heard that Halo PC in its latest about to be released form was little to do with Bungie directly.

BUT Raven is correct in saying that Halo was a PC Game before XBox, but development was switched approximately 60% through development.

Bungie have been responsible for some excellent games on MAC and Halo was going to be the first FPS developed for BOTH PC and MAC where players could play games online against each other, regardless of what machine they had. Or that was the theory, until Mr Gates decided he wanted to have the game as a flagship showcase for his new machine.

Presumably being developped for both MAC and PC a good few years back, the original Halo code didn't utilise DirectX, which would have meant an almost complete re-write was required for the Xbox version, but still using the same media, and the original PC and MAC versions were never finished, or released.

Still - why the Xbox code couldn't have been quickly addapted to be suitable for a PC release a good while ago is beyond me. Whilst I look forward to playing Halo in a nice High resolution with a mouse and Keyboard, it is certain to be overshadowed by the upcoming HL2, D3, Q4, DE2, and UT2K4 , especially considerring that now the graphical effects don't impree as much, Halos sometimes spartan and repetive levels and complete lack of any decent Multiplayer arena design are a lot more noticable.

I hope they keep in the cooperative mode for LAN play, personally I enjoyed that mode the most in the Xbox version

Quikly Studio Pro. Soon. Honest.
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2003 20:45
Yes - Halo was definately intended to be a PC game, Microsoft nabbed it towards the end of its development.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2003 22:43
Chess? Hardly... Tafl has been being played much longer than chess and dates historically before that... of course, I think Mancala is even older... hmmm...

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2003 03:28
Just got my copy of PC Zone (November issue). Big 2 page ad for Halo with release date of 10th October! Hope they stick to it.

Mag also has special feature with detailed comparisons of Doom3, Half-Life 2 and Halo. Makes very interesting reading.

They also say a playable demo of Halo will be on December's issue.

If your mansion house needs haunting, just call Rentaghost!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 13:31:30
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 13:31:30