Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Making a Racing Game. Where to start?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi there,

Well im a college student currently working on a project that involves 2 programmes - DarkBasic Pro and Blender.

However we have a choice to make our games and we are looking into a racing game. With that in mind... I have no idea where to start.

Importing models, making models move, physics, A.I., lighting etc etc.

So im here for help, to what ive heard is "the best forum for darkbasic pro help".

Cheers in advanced to those who help me along.

Andy J Mc

- New to this game. Need to make one though! -
Gingerkid Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2010 18:18
Why don't you start with simpler programs and work your way towards creating a game like this. I dived in at the deep end copying RPG snippets and didn't learn a thing. I had to re-learn everything and now I am ready to start making my 3D games.

Try making 2D games such as breakout or pong then create a 3D version working with arrays and variables and build up your core knowlage.

Also check out TDKs tutorials they are very good for begginers.

Jack,

Gingerkid Jack - Aspiring Game Designer\3d Modeler
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2010 04:24
If you have no experience at all, you might want to start with something simple like Gingerkid Jack suggested.

However, if you do have some experience and really want to make a racing game, I would start by making a really simple world model to load and making a player object to drive on it. The player could be a cube for now, it doesn't matter. Once you get the player controls down, you can change the player model into an actual car. You can also then start to make your first track.

So I'd start by working your controls out on a test track before you start making the final models. Worry about the game first, then worry about the models.

Also, racing games can be complicated, especially when it comes to detecting when a lap has been finished, what position you are in, etc... You could just make a driving game where you just drive around, in which case you wouldn't need to worry about these things. Or, if you want to be a little more complex, you could make a race against the clock where you have to get from start to finish. It's up to you, but try to stick to something within your skill level and work your way up from there. Good luck!

<-- Spell based team dueling game!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 16:37:59
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 16:37:59