Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Sparky's collision: Sliding demo help

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all! and happy first post to me

I'm just getting into the dark gdk and whilst experimenting, i have come across Sparky's collision detection dll's. Seems like good stuff; I intergrated his sliding demo code into my test world and it seems to be working fine (you control a block that can walk up slopes,stairs etc).

My problem with the code itself is understanding how the SC_GetCollisionNormalY() function works. below is a code extract from the sliding demo for the vertical collision detection (seperate from horizontal):

Despite the comments i'm struggling to understand what exactly the get function SC_GetCollisionNormalY() returns IN THE CONTEXT OF THIS DEMO (and the dark gdk api doesn't provide a clear description of this function for me). How does this value, compared against the "slope" variable help determine the flatness of the ground? why is dbAbs() applied to it?

I guess i want to know the exact algorithm here, a rather than taking the authors word for it in the comments and copying the code. Everyone is welcome to shed some light
Chidz
Years of Service
User Offline
Anyone....?
Chidz
Years of Service
User Offline
OK, I think I finally understand this code extract

I plan to explain this for the sake of anyone that may encounter the same confusion I had but I'm afraid this will take some drawings to make everything clear (illustrating gradients and vectors). I'm bogged down with a work at the moment so an explanation will come in my spare time.

If anyone wants to beat me to it feel free!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-07-07 01:56:38
Your offset time is: 2024-07-07 01:56:38