Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / plain not treated like object from pick object command

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi guys,
i tried to use plains locked to the camera,instead of sprites in my current project,and when i use pick object command nothing happend, i make test with cube object and it`s working like it should.

First i check if there is something wrong with lock object command but this is not the case.

I put the plain and the cube in range of pick object command to test what is wrong.

Plains are called with "make object", but not treated like other objects, cubes, spheres, etc.

Using plains instead of sprites is because i want to rotate them and sprites become too edgy, and plains do not.

Not sure but this can confirm as a bug in the end, because any other object related comand has it`s effect on plains as i know.

Where there is a will, there is a way.
I often edit my posts, that`s who i am
Dia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2010 10:52 Edited at: 21st Apr 2010 12:48
check out the help file with respect to the lock object on command.

"...nor will the object return world space coordinates when locked to the screen"

because pick object uses 3d world space calculations to determine which object is picked, it unfortunately won't recognise a locked object

however:

if you use the 5th argument as in:

pick object (sx,sy,1,100,1)

then it will detect locked objects (but not unlocked objects)

This is not the Sig you are looking for....
luskos
Years of Service
User Offline
But using it or not that doesen`t make a diference.Here is my code:

I think everything should work as it is now but maybe i`m missing something, it works for the cube.Lock on is remended and pick object`s last argument is set to 0.

Dia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2010 15:29 Edited at: 22nd Apr 2010 15:30
yup, there is only 1 thing you are still missing, (and it is pretty obscure)

your line "scale object 1,1000,1200,0". We all know that a plane in actuality has 0 thickness (z direction), but I *think* that scaling the thickness to 0 basically gives the PICK OBJECT command nothing to 'shoot at'.

if you change it to any non zero number (strangely enough even a -ve scale factor works!) then PICK OBJECT will work just fine

i.e. "scale object 1,1000,1200,100"

This is not the Sig you are looking for....
luskos
Years of Service
User Offline
Ah, i`ll remember that.At first it was some other value and knowing it`s useles i made it 0.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 16:26:05
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 16:26:05