Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / 3D world like a large building on a large landscape best way to

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
3D world like a large building on a large landscape. What is the Best way to create this so a single character can wander around and go up the stairs and down and not go through anything? An example You are on a hill and down below is a house. You climb down the hill and the house's door is open so your character steps inside. Like the N64 007 Game where you could be running around outside in the snow then step into a building. My question is what is the best way to create that then to actually use it in a game?

The quality of what a man gives without seeking anything in return shows his integrity.
Cetobasilius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2010 06:01
i think this doesnt belong here , this doesnt have a thing to do with dark gdk, but i would recommend you check out some modelling/3d programs so you can make what you want

hi
Dragon Tiger Wolf Bald Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2010 06:27 Edited at: 22nd Apr 2010 06:28
This has everything to do with Dark GDK let me better explain. I have made one level of three different games. A 3D maze a Puzzle type game and a FPS. Now all three you are in a room. I made that room the same way the Dark GDK example for a FPS did. I am not that happy with that.

I want to know what is the best way to make a 3D world for my games I Already know I can make things with the 3d programs. What I need is to know is how to put them in so my charecter doesn't go right through the walls and is only pushed away from the walls and not from the whole object.

In other words in Dark GDK how has someone made a level like the Old N64 007 Level where you were out in the snow on a landscape yet you could go into a building and your camera wasn't pushed away from the whole building yet couldn't go through the walls either.

The quality of what a man gives without seeking anything in return shows his integrity.
Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2010 09:04 Edited at: 22nd Apr 2010 09:05
In other words, you need to implement collision detection.

You can experiment, for example, with Sparky's collision plugin which can be found here:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=74762&b=5

Or you can try a physics engine plugin, one that comes to mind is Matty's which uses the PhysX SDK:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=163701&b=22
Years of Service
User Offline
That is part of it the other part is should I use the code to put in a terrain then just load an .x object wich would be the building and positions its corrdinates? or is there a better way?

Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
If the layout of the game is simple enough and there are not many objects, it is a suitable way to position everything from the game code, just working out the coordinate values by trial-and-error. With larger worlds, this does not work any more.

Some people use the 3D World Studio program (sold by TGC on this web site) or even a 3D modelling application to build the entire world. Then either export it as one huge object (not very good for performance reasons) or use a more sophisticated loader. There is one Dark GDK loader for 3D World Studio files, for example, which can interpret all details in the file format, from objects to lighting. I had the link somewhere, can't find it at the moment. The project has a thread on this forum.

You can also write your own world editor. I started to write one which was (still is) intended to be made available for the community, but unfortunately it is progressing at the speed of about one code line per month, so I don't know when it will be in beta stage. From time to time, world editors may pop up on the forum as well, for example here is a very promising 3D editor in WIP stage, unfortunately it seems there are only screenshots yet, no demo:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=159294&b=8

I'll try to find the link to that 3DWS loader as well and post it later but it's useful only if you intend to use that software.
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you thank you thank you. That is what I need Please Post the Link to the 3DWS Loader thanks. Thanks for all the help. Thanks thanks thanks.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2010 21:13
mapscape

Can't believe I only just found out about this, its free and looks very good. It does not have terrain but then I am having issues with terrain in 3DWS so this may be the better option(free).

Years of Service
User Offline
Please still Post the Link to the 3DWS Loader thanks

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2010 23:11 Edited at: 22nd Apr 2010 23:11
Quote: "Please still Post the Link to the 3DWS Loader thanks"

Who, me?
O.K lol.

Pixelperfects loader for 3DWS

Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2010 23:15 Edited at: 22nd Apr 2010 23:18
I found the link to the 3DWS loader but I see Matty was faster. Thanks for the mapscape link as well.
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks all Thanks All Thanks all. Is there an Echo in hear? Thanks again.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-07-07 01:32:27
Your offset time is: 2024-07-07 01:32:27