Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / What are the best (Free) Webspace and Forums Providers?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2003 17:48
I've finally decided to build a webpage for my DP creations, and I've found that I have absouloutly NO idea where to put it, adn ditto as to where I should get a forum. All I know is that Yahoo is supposed horrible when it comes to webspace, so they're off my list. Beyond that, I'm clueless! Can anybody give me some suggestions? The only condition I need with whatever place is the ability to use ones own webpage editor. I've got SiteSpinner from my father, and would prefer to keep using it.

Thanks in Advance,
Ryan Wilson
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2003 18:15
Paying a small amount of cash gets you heaps more. If you get PHP and MySQL, you can run PHPbb, which is easy to install, modify and run.

In the UK you can get webspace with these features for around £25 (about $40). That includes a domain name.

TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2003 18:23
The best free webserver I've EVER heard of is www.flatface.net
they give you PHP, and LOTS of space. You'll nead a domain redirect though (www.shorturl.com)

I need an animator!!! HELP ME!!
lagmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 18th Sep 2003 18:48
you can get co.uk domains for £5 per year now. hosting can be from 20-300 a year. depends on what you want.

last year when lagmaster.net was running. it used just about 1gb bandwidth per month and if i remember correctly it hit 60,000 or 600,000 (cant remember the exact amount) hits in a year. so you can see how busy it was.

any person with a website only needs about 50mb web space and max 1gb bandwidth per month.

if it gets really big you need to find ways of getting revune to keep it alive.

lagmasteruk - lagmaster.net is alive! r.nash@ntlworld.com
specs: new specs: amd xp 2000+, 512mb ram, ati radeon 9000 pro dvi, 180gb total hdd capasity, custom built
Rwilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2003 19:32
Unfortuneatly for me, I live in Smalltown, USA so getting a job to pay for to-pay webspace is a bit hard. I'll look into FlatFace.net and see what's there. Does anyone know of a good forum provider?
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2003 20:41
If you are interested i do some cheap web hosting for about $16 a year, no domain though.

As for forums, yabbse and invasion are best.

From a coders point of view phpBB is not worth the php bit, more like spaghettieBB

Web Design Starting from $200. Special limited offer. MSN or Email me for more information.
Rwilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2003 21:31
Horrible Realization! I'm going to have to get a job before I can get a (Good) Webspace. Fornow though, I think I can safly settle with AngleFire. It'll do what I need it to do for now. Thank you for your help anyway! If anything else, I now know of several good Webspaces to use once I get a real money source, not to mention some good Forum software.

Regards,
Ryan Wilson

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 13:34:59
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 13:34:59