Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Dark Game Studio Install Issues. Overwriting files- right or wrong?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
For those who want to get to the point,

I've bought Dark Game Studio and have started downloading products. More than one update I've downloaded has had me overwrite the same file repeatedly.
(eg. Dark Shader for Dark GDK and updates overwrite ShaderData.h at least 3 times)
My question is
Am I right in overwriting the files as I download updates or am I losing parts of my working program?
Will the program I've been working on for months crash because back when I installed DBPro/Dark GDK I overwrote the wrong .lib file?

For those who want the whole story,

I recently bought the Dark Game Studio through the big bonanza thing. It's only been a couple of weeks but it hasn't arrived by mail yet (I'm an international) so I started downloading products that were available. Install files were easy enough - run them, follow prompts and they do the rest. Zip files seemed easy enough - I assumed they were meant for a certain directory,
(most were GDK files- librabry .lib and header .h)
so I copy and pasted the files into the Library and Include folders, overwriting the files that were currently in there.

Until I started noticing I was overwriting the same files.
(At the point of writing this post I had installed Dark Shader and its multiple updates. As I recall I have overwritten ShaderData.h maybe 3 or 4 times.)
I looked back at my products page and looked for differences in dates and file sizes and it's all too similar to clearly tell which file I should be using.
My question is
Have I done the right thing in overwriting the files?

If you're informed enough to give a decent response you may skip ahead and respond/reply to this post.

I'm anticipating the following responses:

"Don't worry about it. Just make your game and see how it goes."
I appreciate your carefree attitude but I don't want to waste time in building a program just to have it crash because some file or function doesn't exist because I wiped out the header file so many months ago

"Can you be more specific? I have no idea what's in the Dark Game Studio or which files you're talking about overwriting."
I could list all the components of the Dark Game Studio and which products I've received/am downloading if it helps get a better answer but I was hoping someone might know offhand or someone who has also bought the Dark Game Studio has had similar ideas or can tell me it works just fine for him/her after doing this, this and this and that I'm being an idiot.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 16:34:34
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 16:34:34