Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Distance from floor issues.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm currently making a 3d game that involves a character (third person) running across streets. And as we all know, sidewalks are usually elevated above streets... The problem I'm having is getting the character object to change his height to reflect the street/sidewalk heights. If anyone has code that can get the height of a segment of an object (Ground is an object...) in front of/behind a set of coordinates, or knows how to get a character to reflect the height of an object below them, please post it.

Thanks for the help in advance.
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2010 23:30 Edited at: 28th Apr 2010 23:33
You need raycasting, search for Sparkys, its a collision library which has raycasting.

Or you could use my plugin(in sig), you just setup your level as a triangle mesh, your character as a character controller and all your collision is done, walking up stairs, sliding along walls etc. If you have any problems I am always here to help out.

Kaichiro
Years of Service
User Offline
Excellent, thank you for the rapid response. I'll try those two out, see if I can't get it to work. That sounds like it's the exact solution I needed too. Many Internets to you!
Kaichiro
Years of Service
User Offline
Fulcrum physics was a huge success! Took only a few lines of code to get it working and it solved so many problems I was having. I did have to build my world out of primitives, though instead of imported models, but I knew I'd have to do that from the beginning anyways... Thank you very much for the suggestion and plugin!
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2010 17:24
Wow thanks, its great that people are not having too many issues.
There will be an update soon.
I build my worlds in 3DWS, export as a DBO and then use:

The other tri-mesh function should work for x-files so I am curious as to why you needed to build world from primitives although this is sometimes the best way to do it as your world will generaly have alot more detail than is needed for collision.

I have not done this yet but I would think I would get my level in 3DWS and create all the primitives in there, replacing the detailed objects as I went along, I would then have two maps, one for visuals and one to setup with collision using a single tri-mesh function.

Anyway, good luck with your game and let me know if any issues arise.

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 6th May 2010 20:52
show us some pictures man
we are eager for pictures.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-07-07 02:25:51
Your offset time is: 2024-07-07 02:25:51