Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Dark GDK .x and 3ds max

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2010 01:41
Hoi!
I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on certain things for me.

First of all I'm a total scrub when it comes to certain things with 3d, my main focus has always been level design but I've taken an interest in 3d modelling more in the past.

I'm working in 3ds max atm, making character models for a game in Dark GDK. Now, I don't know a lot about Dark GDK, I've been doing some past work in UDK and SDK.

Basically I and my friend are trying to make some sort of a fighting game, with 3d character models.
He's talking about exporting them from 3ds max to a .x format.
I'm wondering if anyone can tell me basically how it works? (my friend doesn't know).
Are there any plugins out there for this?
And how does collison etc work? Anything I need to do on my end?
And lastly, can I animate my characters in some way, save it in .x to then use in dgdk?

Oh any if anyone's got any links to tutorials.. how-to's.. etc I'd be thrilled if you shared them..

tl;dr: How to export from 3ds max into .x to use in dgdk

Thanks for any potential answers and I'm sorry if I seem like a leech or a 1-post-whiner or whatnot.. I'm just really stuck and need some help.
Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2010 08:12 Edited at: 1st May 2010 08:12
.x exporter from max is panda X exporter (http://www.andytather.co.uk/Panda/directxmax_downloads.aspx)

for collision, you have two choices, either use sparky's collision library ( search on the forums ), or use matty halewood's physics library, which is better, sparky's is just a collision library, but matty's is a physics library, so i recommend matty's fulcrum physics plugin, keep in mind that it is still in development
fulcrum http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&b=22&t=163701&p=0
sparky's http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=74762&b=5

when you animate the character and export from max, then your X file have the animation keys, and you can simply use the animations using the following commands (DGDK)

dbPlayObject : void dbPlayObject ( int iObject )
dbLoopObject : void dbLoopObject ( int iObject )
dbStopObject : void dbStopObject ( int iObject )
dbSetObjectFrame : void dbSetObjectFrame ( int iObject, float fFrame )
dbSetObjectSpeed : void dbSetObjectSpeed ( int iObject, int iSpeed )
dbSetObjectInterpolation : void dbSetObjectInterpolation ( int iObject, int iInterpolation )

you can search them up in the documentation ( C:\\program files\\the game creators\\dark GDK\\documentation\\ )

Hope it helps

Polarn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2010 02:43
Me love you long time.
But, seriously, thank you so much!
This cleared up quite a bit of worries ^^,

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-07-07 02:04:43
Your offset time is: 2024-07-07 02:04:43