Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Noob to RPG creation and programming..Experienced programmers.PLZ Respond!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Iv'e been fascinated with role playing ever since I was a kid. In the 80's thru 90's, I've played almost every kind of game you could imagine, from D&D, AD&D on paper to arcade style in the malls and shopping centers...Every computer game like old Kings Quest on floppys to todays Morrowind. Not to mention every console from Atari to N64.( OK, I'm an Oldie...But a Goldie!!)

I recently purchased DBC to be able to create these type games. I KNOW that I won't create a game like Elder Scrolls overnight. Probably NEVER. It takes extreme programming knowledge and lotsa $$$
Not to mention an elite team of genius.
Although buying and playing these store boughts are great, they severely limit my creative ability and gameing experience.
Anyhow..
I am new to this and I need somewhere to start. I've got great ideas on paper, and I guess I just need some basics (DB code) to get started. I've looked around on these posts... tried some of the snippets..They don't seem to work well(maybe I am not using them correctly)..My math skills aren't the greatest... I learn best buy "doing" or by disection, exploration of programs..changing and adjusting the tutorials that come with DBC.
Does anybody have any 2D or 3D code I can use?? (PLZ..Don't be paranoid...I don't want to sell anything...it's just for my own use)

P.S. >Please...don't send me to Turkish Websites and or Other game programming sites..I am having enough trouble with DBC. Thanks...
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2003 04:33 Edited at: 19th Sep 2003 04:35
Hmm, well a lot of code comes with DBC (Look under the HELP menu) which is reall great to get you started. Also under the DBC folder this is a full tutorial for a FPS (I know thats not what your after but it will still help you learn)

As for RPGs, Im working on one with my team, and they arent the best thing to try and learn from (code gets kinda complicated) but if you insist try

www.mojomagic.co.uk which has an open source RPG battle system (without the camera code so it wont compile) be warned though, the code is long and complicated, so it may scare you a bit

Just read through those commands and look at the examples (each command comes with an example) and youll be off learning in no time.

If you need help just come back and ask

EDIT

Check this post out

http://darkbasicpro.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=13351&b=7

Took a while to type up (thanks yellow and all who helped with contributing) but its a great resource page

RPGamer

Current Project: Eternal Destiny
Porting all files to my new computer
zzabb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2003 06:28
well i'm with you, done about the same as you
i remember when pong was cool (-:
been using computers for nearly 20yrs but never learned how to program
well i've been at this for about 9 to 10 months, so i'm no expert but.....

not sure how long you've had DB or been programming, but i'd add one suggestion to RPGamer's post

once you get tired of the help files, been through the tutorials
just pick some game or game type it doesn't have to be your lifes work or even a good idea, but go through all the steps of making a complete game, from start to finish, completely on your own, your not making the next Morrowind your just making something you can call your own.
to start, break it down in to small chunks and complete each one. if you don't know how to do something, work on it till you do. when your done with the game and you just can't find that last bug, and you want to kill someone (-: just walk away and go on to do another game.
when your done with your second game/project look back at the code you used in the first and it will look so simple and you'll see so many ways you could have made it better faster shorter ect
then before you know it……. (-:

good luck

My advice is free -
unfortunately you get what you pay for (-:
Tazlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the help, guys.

RPGamer- Those links were very helpful. Your game at mojo looks very promising. (Cool art work sketches by the way...) I wish you luck, it looks great!!

Zzabb- Thanks for the good word. Good to know guys like us are still around, especially after the decade of decadence!!

Later...
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2003 17:50
Heh, that not my game. Its pretty much a 'legend' here, called EquilibriuM. Unfortunatly, the game is no longer in developement, as they have stopped using DarkBASIC. It was an astounding demo tho, especially considering it was done with an early version of DarkBASIC classic.

RPGamer

Tazlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry about the mix up.... I typed in your project name in the search engine. (I don't think it's yours, though.)

http://www.acorn-gaming.org.uk/Reviews/Destiny/
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2003 06:17
Yes, I have seen that page before, but seeing as their website is no longer around, it doesnt seem that they game is still being produced, and I havent seen any copyright or trademarks on the title.

RPGamer

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2003 06:30
@Tazlin

The best advice I can give you, is too take things slow. Take 15-30 minutes(if you can afford to in our busy lives), to just sit down and type some code, or do some 3D graphics.(or whatever you need to do.)

For a start, you can take a look at my little tutorial. It's not complete, but it will get you started with the very very basics of programming with db.

http://darkbasicpro.thegamecreators.com/?m=codebase_view&i=3034fb38a8c68828bd39031f1efec0c2

Practice is the key, and it seems you're a wise person in knowing you'll (probebly ) not make the next morrowind.(at least not this year )

As long as you know how to do some algebra, multiplication,addition,subtraction,division, you should be okay.

Best of luck.

BTW, keep looking at my tutorial, as I'll try to keep updating it as soon as possible.(By the end, you'll be able to make your first text game!!!)

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
Tazlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks, Yellow.
I've copied your tut onto Word Pad. I'll use it along with the DB Manual...

As far as math skills...well, I can count back change if you know what I mean...* & / are good but... Algebra...OOOOH BROTHER!

Anyhow, thanks. Need all the help we can get!
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2003 08:47
No problem.

I think I'll update the tutorial sometime later today(12:46 A.M now, lol). Probebly add some more complicated stuff, and hopefully have the easy little game finished.

Best of luck!

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
3dZmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2003 12:11
PRACTICE IS THE KEY
THE KEY TO WHAT WE WANT TO BE

=)

Good luck for you!

Current project: T.G.P - The Time Guardian Project
Tazlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2003 15:55 Edited at: 25th Sep 2003 03:13
Must I make this circle a sprite before it will stay in the lines??
Please help, I'm stuck...
Tazlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2003 02:08 Edited at: 23rd Sep 2003 04:39
Thanks for all your help....
Tazlin
Years of Service
User Offline
bump
Starsu
Years of Service
User Offline
Now, this isnt exactly DB related, but if you love RPG's and want to make something good, GO BUY NEVERWINTER NIGHTS (if you havent already). The game itself is awesome, and the toolkit... well, once you get into the toolkit, that's where the obsession begins... You can make some really incredible stuff with it, based on the AD&D 3rd edition rules. The scripting can be a little complex, (it's based on the C language) but once you get the hang of it it's loads of great. And the sheer amount of stuff you can do with it... wow. And the online multiplay is a big plus too
Skybax
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2003 05:20
Hey Yellow...awesome tutorial!!!! <=Yep....that's me...Pirates of the Carribean version

There is no king who has not had a slave among his ancestors, and no slave who has not had a king among his

Ph33r the Ringwraiths

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 04:08:29
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 04:08:29