Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Terrian Maker??

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
if I make a terrian maker, will I be able to export the final product as a direct x file or something??

www.robsterone.webs.com

my website
Freedom Fighters
Years of Service
User Offline
well that depends on how you would export it. i dont know if anyone has tried through. a good idea is you have your simple file ext for the terrain and have a structure on reading and writing terrain data.

you might need say a 3rd party plug-in. this could be a interesting topic..

Problem Solution That Never Fails: "Build A Bridge And Get Over It"
JTK
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't see why not. GDK already has a specification for the DBO format with source (.h/.cpp) already included. I'm sure you could use that as a starting point when saving the file.

It can't be too terribly difficult to convert from DBO to .X, I wouldn't think.

JTK
robster
Years of Service
User Offline
its probably going to be to difficult for me though the idea is to create a simple UI then just click on buttons for like trees or grass and then, "paint" them onto the ground, then when Im finished I would just export it as a direct X into a file. I take it theres no simple code to just export all objects then

www.robsterone.webs.com

my website
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 9th May 2010 12:48
you can actually go into your DirectX SDK files , there is something reffering to the DirectX Viewer code , this way you can tell what X file is all about , i remmber readign somewhere that some ppl have done this and it wasnt much of a problem, also dont forget DirectX file X is actually a Text file , if you open it you will see that there is no Compiled data , just plain old Script file with letters and numbers.

dont let it get you down , it should be no problem if you put your mind into it , more then that , just open a 3D program of your choise ,build a cube then export it as a DirectX file , open it with wordpad or editor of your choise , and you'll see what i mean.
Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2010 13:06 Edited at: 9th May 2010 13:10
this might help a little http://www.toymaker.info/Games/html/x_file_saving.html

EDIT: it's very simple

D3DXSaveFileToX (); you can get all the parameters, only problem's the materials, im not sure how to get them from GDK object, you could make your own materials tho.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb205428%28VS.85%29.aspx

_Pauli_
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2010 13:41
What about this one:

void dbSaveMesh( char* szFilename, int iMesh );

From the documentaion:

Quote: "This command will save the specified mesh to a file in the XFile text format."

Quote: "to create a large mesh based world and save it out for later loading as a 3D game level."

If your terrain is an object (not a mesh) you may have to make a mesh from it first.

Now the plot thickens, the fps decreases, and the awesomeness goes through the roof.
robster
Years of Service
User Offline
@Hassan im trying out the DXDXSaveFileToX thing but were do I get the libary?? there is no link on the website??

www.robsterone.webs.com

my website
Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2010 14:34 Edited at: 9th May 2010 14:35
the lib and the header are already included by GDK, just use the function, you can try pauli's method, it might be better as its made by the engine itself

OceanJeff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2010 13:15
Here is an awesome terrain generator, that you can use to make heightmaps for Dark GDK. I am having a lot of fun with it, and it works for plugging directly into the terrain sample that comes with Dark GDK.

Hope this helps,

Jeff c

Attachments

Login to view attachments
robster
Years of Service
User Offline
sounds interesting il have a look at that thx

www.robsterone.webs.com

my website
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2010 21:49
@OceanJeff - looks nice

Niels Henriksen
www.tales-of-the-realms.com
if Microsoft can sell software with bugs, so can I.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-07-07 01:42:36
Your offset time is: 2024-07-07 01:42:36