Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Universe Star Learning Game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2010 10:55 Edited at: 10th May 2010 10:58
You are probably wondering what the heck? Well, I decided to approach DBPro and to jump in head first so to speak. With this, I decided to create a small Blog dedicated to the development, right from the start right up to the end. I'll be taking the Star Fight source and using that throughout the learning experience. Of course I've asked the author if this is okay, and in the spirit of learning is why I'm sharing my experience publicly. As far as how knowledgeable I am with DBPro? I would say I know very little. So this will be a fun experiment to see how quickly I can pick things up.

I'm hoping that this will become a resource for those of you who are new to DBPro, or those of you getting frustrated with everything. Let this be a place to get you back into the game so to speak. For those new to DBPro, let this experiment help you learn the language as well.

You can visit the blog at:
http://universestar.wordpress.com/

Thanks for your time!
roswell1329
Years of Service
User Offline
Good luck to you, Sharlenwar. I would say this is not a totally unconventional way of learning a programming language, but if you do not have experience with any programming you might find it difficult to get through a large completed project.

If that happens, don't let it derail you. Just regroup and try another approach. Best of luck to you! I'll be watching for your results!
Sharlenwar
Years of Service
User Offline
Hehe, yeah. I do have a basis of understanding with various programming languages. I've been mostly looking at the best way to get a game up and running, and I've always gravitated back to DBPro.

I always had the problem to learn DBPro due to the fact that there are small code pieces scattered all over, but nothing 100% complete that satisfies my questions. As soon as XFS Illusion posted the code, I jumped all over it. Downloaded it and gave the .exe a try that was packed in there. It is a great example for those of us who understand how to program, just need an existing game to see how DBPro works. It then hit me, that I always lose steam and motivation with projects. Thus, the blog is what I came up with to continue to give me that steam and push to finish. I also figured that I would liven up the forums here a bit with something fresh and new. I don't mind posting code for games that are fully operational. As long as someone out there gets the help from it.

Anyways, I look forward to you following the project. That alone gives me more motivation to move forward. Exciting.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 18:24:12
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 18:24:12