Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / My First Project

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
So I have began my first project, a text based RPG set in a Zombie Apocalypse. You are in a 4 story building and you have to work your way down to the first floor and out the door to win. The catch is, after entering every rooms there will be chance to encounter a zombie that you will have to battle.

My goals for this:
Battle System
Inventory System
Small Story

Currently I have:
The Story

I have some ideas on how to do the battle system but I have no clue on how to do the inventory system. Thats where I need help, I want to reward the player with weapons for exploring every room so that it becomes easier to get out.

I also want a final zombie boss that you will ALWAYS encounter, and possibly even an difficulty and points system later on.

any help/advice?
Sharlenwar
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, do you want your players to have an unlimited inventory, or are you going to use slots to store items in an inventory?

I personally would use the slot idea for an inventory, because then you could have it where ammo takes up a slot, the weapon takes up a slot, etc. This way players have to decide on what weapon they would want. Say that Mini-Gun they found hidden away takes up 6 slots for the weapon, and 4 slots for the ammo. Now they have to choose between awesomeness or keep their items they have found to survive.

My two cents of course.
N3R0
Years of Service
User Offline
I see what you're saying and I really like that idea, but considering that you will only find specific items in specific places I wont need a limiter
luskos
Years of Service
User Offline
You can keep the things simple by using an array for storing items of your character.When he founds something more valuable of that he have allready just automaticly equip it.You are the one to decide which way to go.But pretty much if you ask about the inventory and battle systems you`ll suffer making them too complicated for an text RPG.Remember that your game can be simple and pleasant at the same time.My suggestion is to make approach with what you know and do what you need the way you can actually finish it.Then you can change little by little the battle system and the inventory system until they become great when you learn better coding.It`s the best way, i often write sample snippets for me doing something allmost usless, and build on this snipets on the run, while i learn more and more, until they become something good.

Good luck with your game.

If you post here something more specificly how you imagine the inventory or the battle system i`ll be glad to help you.If there is some free time...

Where there is a will, there is a way.
I often edit my posts, that`s who i am
N3R0
Years of Service
User Offline
Eventually my goal is to move this to a roguelike game, after I learn how to program one of course.

My inventory system will just be weapons for now, if you explore enough you may find a useful weapon, the closer to the exit the better the weapon. I am think 2 weapons on each floor, which makes only eight weapons total.

I found a Zork tut that taught about inventory and using arrays to do that so I think I may do it like that. (Though this will not be a parser.)
N3R0
Years of Service
User Offline

This is my basic battle system but its not working, the opponent always wins the hit and the damage is always off.
luskos
Years of Service
User Offline
This could work:

Where there is a will, there is a way.
I often edit my posts, that`s who i am

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 18:20:31
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 18:20:31