Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Can you make a laser from a particle system

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2010 22:13
I am making a 3d space shooter and I was wondering if it is possible to make a laser from a particle system like the fire particle that comes with thte extends plugin. I would also like to see if there is an easier way a laser effect.
XFS Illusion
Years of Service
User Offline
I Imagine so, i'll have to keep an eye on this thread. I know in my space shooter I went with traditional bullets, but may upgrade to bullets if I come across a solution that suits me.

zootan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2010 06:51 Edited at: 12th May 2010 09:09
lazer beams are straight lines of light , hard to make with the particles which typicly flare or spark which is good for making flames type effect, for lazers its much more effective to keep things simple such as two planes fixed in cross section in an X shape each with a simple color gradient texture . When they fire the model is scaled up along its length or flashes into view with simple show/hide . Im useing this method in my 3dspace game its effective enough for my needs and gives a good representation of what id imagin lazer beams to look like, im useing it for the ai and not with any player fire effect as of yet and im pretty sure you wold need to embellish the model more to get it looking right for player fire unless u use 3rd person view.

This code gives u the raw idea , with some tweaks you coud make it better .
feel free to use the x model i made (attached)

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Xsnip3rX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2010 11:55
Short answer, yes.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 18:26:52
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 18:26:52