Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Hello! Immigrant from RPG tookit with questions on DBPro!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello 'ello!

For a long time I used to use a program called the RPG toolkit to make small little RPGs (Nothing really major, just short little games just to kill time.) However, when I wanted to make a game that was actually big I had quite a few difficulties with all the built-in systems.
(I personally like to use 16x16 tiles as opposed to the 32x32 tiles the RPGTK used. And while I could double size all the tiles, the scrolling was very smooth in comparison to the size, killing the effect. Also too many animated tiles slowed the system down to a crawl, making water moving in a world map impossible, which was also impeded by the fact that boards could not exceed a certain size, else the editor would not display anything.)

Seeing as how DB is very different from RPGTK, I was wondering how one would get started and arrange things such as tiles, movement, collisions, random encounters, as well as NPCs and how to activate their actions. (How would the character know that if he faces north and presses 'A', that he would talk to the person above him?)

I have a basic idea of how to program (I know what variables and arrays are) However, I'll make no claim to being very much good at it. However, I know I ask probably a lot (Bordering on asking everyone to make my programs for me) So I ask only for the general outlines on how I'd do things, not necessarily hard code itself.
XFS Illusion
Years of Service
User Offline
Check out the samples in your Help folder in your TGC/DBPro directory. They and the tutorial there should be helpful.

owlman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2010 08:02
hi Long - don't you think you're asking for a bit too much information for one post? .. like a books worth. there are good books out there as well as lots of freely available high quality tutorials here on this site. Look above in the newcomers section, for example.

if effort>reward : gosub home : endif
Get a new name1
Years of Service
User Offline
OK, http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=64198&b=7 is a great tutorial for just that. Its is going to go over a bunch of stuff you allready know like variables and arrays but the main idea of it is going along the lines of an rpg. Once you have started your own program feel free to come back if you have issues, just pls include code snippets for what you have questions on. Good luck.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 18:24:02
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 18:24:02