Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / will learning another language help me better understand darkbasic?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
so i have just gotten darkbasic pro and im wondering that if i learned, say, visual basic, would that make the darkbasic pro coding easier to understand? not that the coding will be similar, but that i will better understand things like arrays and variables and floats and stuff, which i do not get at all right now.

the reason i am asking is because my bro has a giant visual basic book.

brand new!!!
dcpyatt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2010 04:32
Some of the commands and principles will be the same or similar, but a majority of the commands are documented with examples in the DBPro help system available in the programming editor. Also when you are typing a command the correct structure is displayed at the bottom of the editor.
Techathon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2010 05:19 Edited at: 20th May 2010 15:56
Well, I am a n00b at DBP, however before this I was a modder of civilization 4 and used python. It does help. However, it IS better to stick to your one language.
luskos
Years of Service
User Offline
Possibly not.Jumping from one language to another can`t make you understand the first one.There will be a moderator which to show you the tutorial thread, and explain you that there is everything you need.Just wait, and the force will bring him here...The force bring them all sooner or later!

Where there is a will, there is a way.
I often edit my posts, that`s who i am
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2010 10:25
There are a lot of tutorials in the Newcomers section. It really shouldn't be too hard to learn using those.

"everyone forgets a semi-colon sometimes." - Phaelax
owlman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2010 15:57
@ikesmasher - I think it would help you loads. It's the route I've taken so far. The two languages are different and you can achieve a lot more with dbpro re game programming than would ever be possible in visual basic alone, but the two are similar enough to give that book a shot, I think .. not saying ignore the many very helpful dbpro tutorials available too though. I think mayb from the book you can learn basic programing concepts that will make the tutorials easier to follow ..

if effort>reward : gosub home : endif
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2010 19:01
My first language was AppleSoft BASIC.

I bought a book that was essentially a reference for every command in the language, and used that extensively.

I also pulled apart every scrap of code I could get my hands on and read it, modified it, broke it, and fixed it as many times as it took until I thoroughly understood it.

It's the tried and true method most programmers start with.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 18:29:26
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 18:29:26