Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Suggestions for different language.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
OK so I was learning to program a few years ago in DBpro while in high school. Now since then i ditched my pc for a mac and since my curiosity in simple game programming has spiked up again and I can not run DBpro on any mac, I am curious as to languages that are easy to learn and similar to DB that will actually run on Mac. I have considered torque script but am hesitant because the commands are far different. I looked into python briefly but was having trouble finding support for that for mac, although there was a lot for windows. I have also heard mixed opinions on Java. Any suggests or opinions on any of these or other languages would be appreciated.
Techathon
Years of Service
User Offline
Try Java. I am currently learning like 4 programming languages. This, is seem to remember has mac support. I also know python has mac support... I can pull a quote from the python manual that mentions compatibility.

If you don't want to use those, you COULD try C, but that really isn't a beginners language and is a b**** to learn. (I am trying to learn it...)

You could also learn AppleScript. Ive never tried it, though, but it is made for mac.

I would recommend java. It is becoming mainstream and is everywhere you look.
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2010 02:43
Torque was a great game engine. Until they changed the license. Everything you create with Torque that you want to sell, they get a piece of it. It may be different now, but I left at the time just on principal.

There were a couple of game engines posted on here a while back that were cross-platform (PC, Mac, Linux) but I can't remember what they were.

Have a look at This List. It's how I ended up finding TGC and DBPro.

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2010 11:05
I would go with Python if you want something easy to start with. It's extremely lightweight, portable, easy, and you can make some decent games with it using the PyGame engine.

"everyone forgets a semi-colon sometimes." - Phaelax
roswell1329
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2010 01:27 Edited at: 22nd May 2010 01:28
Blender also has a game engine in it that you could use to create games and runs on Mac. I do not know how complicated they can be, and I don't know if you use a language for it, or if it's more an interface. If it did use a language, it would probably be Python, since many of their utilities are done in Python. http://www.blender.org
Kira Vakaan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2010 01:44
@roswell1329: I was just about to suggest Blender's game engine

It's pretty good, and you can let Blender handle all of the rendering and animation. The game engine uses an interface, but you can also incorporate python scripts into it to do more specific/complex things.

If not blender, I'd try out PyGame, but I think it's a lot of work to get it all up and working with 3D graphics.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 18:24:45
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 18:24:45