Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Which is the best console?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2003 21:32
Out of the current three, Gamecube, Xbox and PS2, which one is the best? What are the strengths and weaknesses of each system?
Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2003 21:44
PS2: Weakest of the Three, yet big fanbase and amazing third party support
GameCube: Middle Powerhouse of the Three, big fanbase, yet not as good as the PS2's, great 1st Party Titles
XBox: Strongest of the Strong, a few great titles, if you get fed up with it, you can install Linux on it.

Personaly Favorite: PS2 (For the .Hack// Games and the Zone of the Enders Games, not to mention Final Fantasy)

Dark Basic Pro has arived! I can feel the power!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2003 23:01
PS2 is the oldest, however it has the largest game base ... however alot of games for it have very dated graphics which don't even come close to its comeptitors.
Alot of gadgets - the only real thing that is offputting is that games for it are a fair bit more expensive than its competitors and the console itself is far too expensive for it is, it does have a builtin DvD player - but considering you can pick a cheap one of those up which have better support for around $70 now doesn't warrent the huge price tage just for that anymore.

XBox - Arguably the most powerful out of the bunch, i say argueably because really all your paying for is a PC in a Console box - what you get is a very good setup, surround sound builtin, DvD player (which is more uptodate than the PS2's), intergrated online hardware.
Problem is it is about the size of a VCR, and the controls also carry this huge size - which makes it uncomfortable for people with small hands (ie children). If you get one then Logitech have released a PS2 style XBox controller definately worth the investment, especially as it fits the palm better.

GameCube - although its only technically a fraction faster than the PS2 (ps2 running at 300mhz and gc at 400mhz) the custom designs of the chips it uses actually makes it onpar if not faster than the XBox. Although graphically there are only a few GC titles that are on par with the XBox, to be fair there are only a small selection of titles.
This console has the smallest selection of games (thanks to a small minded nintendo) but they're the cheapest as they're about the price of a PC game and the console itself is also by far the cheapest ... infact you can get one for less than a Gameboy Advance & PSone now which is pretty cool but weird.

which console you choose really is upto you - which is the best is debateable to an extent mainly due to each of thier unique setups.
if this was a pure power battle, the PS2 was in the Dreamcasts league - next to the GC and XBox it doesn't even come close.
If you play games aimed at all three consoles you'll notice this right away that the PS2 is really begining to struggle, apart from latter PSone games like Themepark World and the depth fog in goldeneye i never noticed any slowdowns in games on consoles.

if its for a playability battle then i'd say the GC and PS2 are top of the field, and the final decision is personal based controllers as i'd choose a GC but i know a good few people who prefer the PS2s controller.

with titles the PS2 would win outright, mainly cause it can run the entire back catalouge of Playstation games ... and it also has the least restricting development policies and guidelines.
Nintedo will not let developers make games for thier console unless they have atleast a 5years proven track record.
Microsoft are a little more leanient and leave it upto the publishers, however they still have final say about who develops for it.

This equates to alot few titles, really if you put together just the good titles from each console then really the XBox and GC are well ahead - but then that again would be my personal preference.
Ironically at this point the PS2 actually has a bigger library of games than the IBM Compatible platform (how crazy is that!)

Falelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2003 23:02
Xbox is the most powerful, few good games, but the best games are coming out now and in the next year. Xbox live blows away everything, sony online can do.

PS2, is weakest by far. Big fan base, but no decent games in a long time. Just weak remakes, and sequels.

Gamecube, pretty good, but dieing quick. The great games it has are awsome, but nothing to great coming out.

http://matedit.com/forums/index.php (other great DB forums)
Current Project - Legends of the Sword - On my WWW
Check out profile for more information
lagmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 21st Sep 2003 01:20
i dont want to say which is better because i have never played any of them. nor do i want to.

so dont flame me for not playing the new gen consoles. i prefer a pc. last longer.

lagmasteruk - lagmaster.net is alive! r.nash@ntlworld.com
specs: new specs: amd xp 2000+, 512mb ram, ati radeon 9000 pro dvi, 180gb total hdd capasity, custom built
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2003 02:06
then why post?

QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2003 02:17
I own a cube but I gotta say box is in the lead, and PS2 is for a very small "don't bash my uber system" part of the population, who defend the ps2 at all costs despite the other systems being miles ahead. The cube is classic, and it's market is mainly in japan, not here. The xbox is all american, and it's ahead. But super smash bro's melee will beat halo any day.

I prefer PC over everything, I never have time to play console games. I love cube, but box is definately climbing the ladder.

CloseToPerfect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2003 02:38
They all have some good, very good, games.

PS2
Developers are really pushing the ps2 past the limits of what it was designed for, tring hard to keep up with the XB and GC. But still it has a hugh game base something for everyone. If your into online gameing it has so so support, the one I have played 'navy seals' wasn't hardly playable.

GC
I really like the quility of nintendos games, everyone is top notch. I don't understand why they are having such a lag in 3rd party titles? The games are fun, alot are aimed at a younger audiance, but there are a few smashing titles for the older player. Online gaming is ,well, phanasty star online, a great game but that's about it.

XBOX
The XBOX has some amazing graphics and if you have a HDTV to play on ,well, WOW 'ie panzer dragoon orta'. Alot of new games coming out, but about 1/2 arn't worth owning. It seems most of the games are aimed at the more mature player with a few titles being graphic indeed. The built in hard drive means no need for save cards although you can still get them for taking your saved games to another machine. Alot of games let you store your own mp3 to play in the game. built in high speed hub link 2 XBs together or play online MS game server. XB Live is broadband only, so modem users sorry. The games this year are alot better then last year and I think as the start to push what the XB can do you'll see some great stuff.

Overall
ps2 is dated but still fun, you've seen about as good as it's going to get.

XB and GC are both great, XB is alitle more flexible and more popular. XB is as lacking on kid games as GC is on adult games, so it a matter of who going to or how it's going to be played, just you or your whole family, single player or online line.

I have all 3 in my house hold and I buy more games for the XB then the others. One thing to add, here in indiana, US , at the used game stores I can buy lots of game for the PS2 and the XB very cheap, under 15$, good games, GC used games are more expensive.

CTP
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Well this is major flamebait...

I'll just say this, there is no "best system", it's all personal preference. You can say "no you're wrong cuz XBox has better graphics" or you could say "no you're wrong cuz ps2 has the best games" or whatever, but there is no overall best.

SO, I personally prefer Ps2. More games. I don't have one, but my bro has an XBox. I don't play it that often because we don't have that many games and there aren't too many great games for it.

SW Games - www.freewebs.com/swgames

Yeah, I know, I only have one game. Yeah, I know it sucks. But I made it! Me!
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2003 06:21
PC is the greatest and always will be. Nuff said, no need to argue about the best console when you have a PC.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2003 06:42 Edited at: 21st Sep 2003 06:45
I think all console developers should change their tone and develop for computers only, it'd be better for us all, the companies no longer need to spend millions for new systems, and we dont need to spend thousands (I've got at least $8000+ worth in video game related stuff) for unique systems.

Edit: Did I say $8000+? That was quite an off estimate. More like $3000.

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2003 06:54
They might spend millions to make there consoles, but over time they make (near, if not) billions.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
"PC is the greatest and always will be"

Yeah you're right, but a PC isn't a console, and that's what we're talking about here...

SW Games - www.freewebs.com/swgames

Yeah, I know, I only have one game. Yeah, I know it sucks. But I made it! Me!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2003 08:37
Quote: "The xbox is all american, and it's ahead."

yup, its bigger than everything else, its faster than everything else - add some fins to the end and it is classic american hehee

about the only thing really not classically american made about it is the fact that its a very stable system.
however i wouldn't call it 100% stable, and the most unstable on the market is the PS2 - the PSX fixxes most of the problems, but still the PS2 was a very shoddy rush job. Shame on the Japanese

Grim_Reaper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2003 09:30
I guess it really depends on your taste in games...technically PS2 is the worst(only technically)...But i'd say all of them are equal in terms of fun. Right now I only have ps2 and I'm happy with it(especially with the release of Silent Hill 3...I love that game!) ...Prolly going to buy an x-box soon tho, Halo 2 just looks god-like. Then again so does Resident Evil 4 for game cube

http://www.grcompositions.cjb.net
lagmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 21st Sep 2003 14:38
Quote: "then why post?"

because i have a voice and i choose not to own a console because of the high prices and last a lot less than a pc.

Quote: "about the only thing really not classically american made about it is the fact that its a very stable system.
however i wouldn't call it 100% stable, and the most unstable on the market is the PS2 - the PSX fixxes most of the problems, but still the PS2 was a very shoddy rush job. Shame on the Japanese"

funny how the xbox got hacked first because of a bug in the save game in 007 nightfire.

from what i've heard the ps2 is less buggier because it dont run on windows. nuff said.

lagmasteruk - lagmaster.net is alive! r.nash@ntlworld.com
specs: new specs: amd xp 2000+, 512mb ram, ati radeon 9000 pro dvi, 180gb total hdd capasity, custom built
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2003 16:39
Quote: "Gamecube, pretty good, but dieing quick. The great games it has are awsome, but nothing to great coming out."

The GC ain't dying

F zero
metroid prime 2
new zelda
mario kart

c:/dos
c:/dos run
run dos run
Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2003 16:55
I heard rumors their quitting production of the gamecube soon. I hope that isnt true.

Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2003 17:02
Currently Nintendo have quit the production of the GC because they have enough in stock to last them a while, not because not enough of them are being sold (or maybe thats a contradiction? ) Anyway, my fave's still the GC. If Nintendo could just invest in any kind of marketing department and be a little less strict when it comes to third part developers, they could be ruling the lot.

I would be unstoppable if I could just get started...
Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2003 17:07
Yeah, they would. Wonder why they got all strict when they released the GameCube.

Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2003 17:11
They were always strict. The GC actually has more adult-orientated games than all the other Ninty consoles put together, so they've actually got less strict. Also, things are changing since Nintendo's CEO Hiroshi Yamauchi retired and there's now a new man at the top (can't remember his name though). Still, its worrying how currently they are concentrating more on GC-GBA connectivity than anything else, especially making more top class games.

I would be unstoppable if I could just get started...
Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2003 17:19
They gotta get a game like morrowind or something (some kind of "I can do whatever I want" RPG) for the gamecube, and have it so it can trasmit data to a special GBA game pack, so you could play its 2D form when you cant play your GameCube.

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2003 17:35
i say cube,

i own all of the nintendo systems save for pocket gameboyor gameboy colour, good old original brick gameboy for me . i have an xbox too and a ps1.

ps2: absolutely shi hite. it lacks in quality, is made of cheap flimsy parts and is the least powerful and the most expensive. definately not worth it unless you are a tool and think that gta3 is the best game ever :/. someone else said its great cause it has final fantasy, well cube has final fantasy.

xbox: said to be superior in power to its competitors, well so is my pc, what console parts does this system have anyway? or are they all just pc parts.only thing putting it above the cube is some lighting system they can utilize with the graphics card, as seen in comparing splinter cell against sc on the cube. Major flaw, is that m$ consistantly rush the so called big titles and hype them up, causing limited gameplay and very buggy software, eg kotor (great game but my brothers 16hr game got deleted via a save game bug :/ and other games could have been better if they werent rushed for release ala halo and most likely halo2 ), aswell as its lack of real console hardware.

gc: my personal favourite, nintendo have always made consoles, from game and watches to todays gamecubes. made from console parts (arcade board and other console components) with tailored games to the system that don't get rushed (save for starfox adventures due to sale of rare). Garuantee that unless you're a douche bag you will love or have very high respect for any game released by nintendo themselves or any game from third party that had support from nintendo. Powerwise just as good as the xbox in most areas if not better (though as above there is some function on the xbox's pc graphics card that works with lighting or sumthing). though it has a limited range of games due to the fact most third party goers will go ps2 cause of its fanbase, the games you can get are exceptional quality if you know where to look.

sao all in all ps2: dont waste your time, xbox: some good can be recieved if you mod it (and for all you sissies that say lets let ms globalize our home gaming market now with xbox live, there is a porgram for modded xboxes called xbconnect, its FREE! and it works the same as xbox live but is much better, trust me, i live in australia with poor broadband and i can tell you this is good.) and gc: excellent, its cheap, made from good parts, has a range of the best* games ever to be programmed.

* referring to the true games, not just dodgey rip offs that come out these days like blinx, and the vast majority of crap games that the ps2 has to offer. i mean games like the olsen twins sweet 16, thats the best cube game to date nah i refer to games like wind waker and metroid prime, these are games that are true to gaming, not just hype machines.

nowif you will excuse me i will stop being so patriotic to nintendo

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2003 17:48
Quote: "i own all of the nintendo systems save for pocket gameboyor gameboy colour, good old original brick gameboy for me "

You are like a clone of me I had a brick until 2001 when i got the gba

c:/dos
c:/dos run
run dos run
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2003 17:56
Quote: "lack of real console hardware"

What is that ? Something that's slow and a real pain to program ?

Avatar & Logo by Indi. Come to the UK DBPro Convention in Chichester
CloseToPerfect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2003 18:48
Quote: "i choose not to own a console because of the high prices "

149$ - 179$ US with a game included is high? That's got to be a 10th or more then what anyone heres invested it a pc.

I play fps and online rpg and rts on my pc, games I play by myself infront of my computer for self gratifaction.

I play puzzle challange, hack and slash rpg, fps, racer, space flight game on the consoles, most games to be played on a large hdtv with other people sitting right there with me a having a good old time.

pc and consoles games are tailored to a different audiance of player. just saying all games should be made for the pc isn't going to work. Think about 4 people playing super smash brothers infront of a 19 in monitor, I mean wheres the fun in that. PC games are for 1 player at 1 machine sure you can play lan games and there fun, but the atmophere is different. That said there will never be any good rts games for a console, age of empires, until they have some type of mouse support ( a touch pad like on a laptop would be nice on a control pad.)

CTP
Critters
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2003 19:10
GC ruls, I dont think ive ever bought a console from any other developer

I got the nes, snes, n64 and the gamecube

gameboy, gameboy colour, gameboy advanced, sp

But when people start saying the GC is dieing, it annoyes me because it's not! There are plenty of nice games coming out

Soul Calibur 2
Mario Kart
F-Zero GC

Well those are the ones i'm lookin forward to. I bought the GC the day it came out, but the only game I have really tired of is Luigi Mansion. I never did get round to completing it backwards . But when i'm less busy ill look forward to completing Zelda:TWW, still havnt got round to that + metroid! Damn, ive gotta play some games.

But, even though I love to play nintys games every now and then, I still find the PC a whole lot more playable . Who can get bored of the PC? lol

http://www.jaxteam.co.uk - complete! Go visit

- The Media Base, Under Construction
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2003 01:50
I would like to point out that if you started this thread to decide which one to buy, don't listen to Uberwiggett robx. That's called a biased opinion, folks.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2003 02:44
CTP thats only stateside, and quite frankly yes it is for technology over 3years old now.

3 years after release both the n64 and gamecube were under $100, and yes that was still with a game.
Currently the GC is the only reasonably priced console on the market - you add to this the fact that XBox and PS2 games are $10-20 more than the GC games. It's getting to be highway robbery when it comes to consoles, people who used to by games quite oftenly can't afford to anymore - and companies are wondering why they're not making AS much money as they once were. Ironically if they just cut off $10 from each unit they'd be able to capture larger markets or the same market more often because people wouldn't be broke from getting games.

Remember the majority of gamers are between 12-28, which is essentially people who are still in fulltime education and can't afford huge amounts of cash to throw around.

Quote: "They gotta get a game like morrowind or something (some kind of "I can do whatever I want" RPG) for the gamecube"

take it you've missed Phantasy Star Online 1 & 2
1 is a remake of the Dreamcast version (almost carbon copy if it were for the graphics overhaul) and 2 is the GC personal version which is different to 2 on the XBox because that is the XB's personal version.
However you can go online with XB and GC users who are using both in the overlap sections.

Not quite the same as FFXI but then personally i never liked either FFX or FFXI. Looking forward to FFXII comming later this year though

-- -- --

however i will agree, the GameCube has an EXTREMELY SMALL games library (a mere 65games over the 3 games theatres, only 38 of them Western) - despite such a small selection it does however have the biggest selection of quality titles.

unfortunatly most are simply remakes of old games, not even rehashed sequals ... and those which are sequals don't exactly bring much to the table over the N64 versions except bigger and better graphics.

If Nintendo doesn't open up the console to alot more developers rather than the finacially sound developers they won't be around long enough to released the "Akira".
I hope within the next year they learn that they have to finally give in and get some more smaller western developers.

Becuase its only here in the Western gaming world they're actually struggling ... to be honest i'm not sure why, becuase the true range of GC games in the west is pretty good - you have the Jedi Knight games, Mario, SSBros Melee, etc...

there is a good selection, i think the major problem is that there really arn't any FPS - there is Metriod Prime but thats it, and it doesn't even come close to games like UT2K3 or Halo.
What Nintendo have to do is also try to capture more on the Online market. Single Player is a good focus, and multiplayer is often fun too ... but the ability to also take you gameing online will help.

I am and always will be a Hardcore Nintendo fan, and i do honestly believe that it is simply the best games machine out.
However even i have to admit how it is being run atm is short-sighted and will mean that a new western version of the GC isn't likely to happen unless something drastic happens.

Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2003 03:05
Quote: "Looking forward to FFXII comming later this year though"

Raven, your my only link to the secrets of the technology world.

As for phantasy star online, didnt want to get it, monthly fee, not to mention I only made $30 monthly at the time, and that $10 monthly fee I needed. Not to mention if I was going to go online for any console, it would have been Xbox or PS2 (probably gonna return my XBox live kit for the PS2 Network Adapter, never gonna get my own DSL by the time the next gen consoles are out)

Yet if they were to make a MMORPG based on "The World" from .Hack//Sign, Infection, Mutation, Outbreak, etc, I'd get it in a heartbeat.

As for you being a hardcore Nintendo fan, I'm not really hardcore, but I'm more loyal to nintendo then any other company. (though I havent had the money recently to buy any gamecube game (well, i do have enough to get FZero.), and even though I said my favorite system was PS2, it was only because of Zone of the Enders and .Hack, if Gamecube had games like that, I'd never think twice to play it non stop)

Well, I think thats the most I've ever typed in these forums in one reply. Good workout.

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2003 03:44
Quote: "I would like to point out that if you started this thread to decide which one to buy, don't listen to Uberwiggett robx. That's called a biased opinion, folks.
"

he asked for which one i liked best, so i said i liked cube best, so of course i must be biased.... douche. i like nintendo cause they are the only ones that make decent games themselves. and seeing as my favouritest game in teh world is link to the past im hardly gonna get zelda games on the xbox am i. if i was so biased i wouldnt own an xbox or pstation.

Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2003 03:49
@Raven, I thought FFXII was coming to japan in the spring 2k4..but then again, from last i talked to them, they said they were way ahead of schedule.

@NWC, He's tlaking baout the japanese version of FFXII, the NA version will be late 2004 or early 2005.

A Dream is a Dream unless it is Real
Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2003 04:00
Only the Japanese version

NOT FAIR!!!!!

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2003 07:00
American News on Final Fantasy X-2

UK's First Glimpse from E3
UK's Official Page (US doesn't have one oddly) some awesome 11 screenshots on there

this is my personal favourite link
Again UK Playstation only has this but gamespot and gamespy also have similar but not AS long, as that is the entire movie not cut down in anyways

Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2003 07:02
oh your talking about X-2 (10-2) not XII(12)... sorry for that mis conception..lol

Easily Confused
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2003 07:10 Edited at: 22nd Sep 2003 07:18
I see this has been labled flamebait and yet no one has been rude, insulting or just plain idiotic in their posts.

Not fair, I wanted to see a slug fest

I had a PSX for a while, but I wore the poor thing out by playing Formula 1 97 on it too many times. It was then I decided to get a PC and haven't looked a console since and why should I? At least with a PC you can upgrade the hardware and keep it up to date if need be, unlike the consoles noted above.

Programming anything is an art, and you can't rush art.
Unless your name is Bob Ross, then you can do it in thirty minutes.
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2003 07:17 Edited at: 22nd Sep 2003 07:19
FF X-2:
http://www.square-haven.com/games/ps2/ffx-2/

FF XII:
http://www.square-haven.com/games/ps2/ffxii/

And my Personal favorite this year FFTA:
http://www.square-haven.com/games/gb/ffta/

Just posted these to verify a few things about the games.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2003 11:16
I like the XBox, but it's worth stating that Halo is about 3 times better than any other game for it - so if your looking to spend some money, check out more than just Halo. It sucks when you get a PC ported game that the XBox should handle and does'nt. Racing games are pretty awesome though, the XBox is gonna take the PS2's racing game crown, especially once Sega get more used to the hardware, MotoGP2 is pretty awesome. Wolfenstein is ok in multiplayer, but a little jerky for no good reason.

It all depends on the games you want to play. Each console has a niche depending on it's games, Gamecube has Zelda, Mario, and Super Monkey Ball. XBox has Halo and god knows how many other FPS. PS2 has a good mix, but is really showing it's age.

I reckon the PS was a really nice console though, some games like the Tony Hawks series only got worse on next gen consoles.

Van-B

My cats breath smells of cat food.
Yian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2003 17:47
@Easily Confused: yes i also came in with high expectations

-john D.
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2003 17:50
Ever since I played Quest 64, I've stopped being system biased. Now I buy systems for the games they have. I own 14 systems total and over 180 games which I've been colecting for over 15 years (anyone want to see the complete list, goto my site [shameless self promotion #013] and click games). I bought the gamecube solely for Smath Bros. (Zelda wasn't coming out for another year or two), but I have bought other good games for it. I like some of the games on the PS2, but I've found that Sony's systems have the highest amount of pawn shop vists when it comes to games. Basic the main reason I bought a PS1, and partly the the PS2, was for Squaresoft.

DDR is the best form of exercise money can buy.
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2003 18:04
In the end i only bought the PS2 for MGS2, FF10, The Bouncer, and kingdom hearts, but in that time i have found that i bought about 60 other games for it. The PS2 may not be the top of the line graphiclly, but when it comes to game play, its second to none.

The XBOX was a weird venture for me, i didn't really want anything for it, there was just alot of hype around it and i didn't wnt to be the only person without one. Then i played Halo, probably one of the coolest games i have ever played both for graphics and Gameplay. Since then i have bought about 17 games for my XBOX, and in the end only being disapointed by few.

The GameCube, i bought it for Zelda TWW, and thats about it. I do have 5 games that aren't Zelda, like metroid prime, and a few others to that liking, but in the end i was kinda dissapointed in the system. You woulda thought that nintnedo would be picking up better Titles and Game Producers, seeing as Nintendo is one of the old and greats.

Now i get to my PC, that is the fun lil boy, i have everything i want, and i can upgrade when i want, and play any game that was built before i upgraded. That is why i love the PC, and will always love, and in the end, i consider my PC to be a Main Gaming Console.

--Eric

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2003 18:09
I can never understand why people like halo so much, I thought it was ok, par. I mean after heading down the same hall after the 15th time, it gets kinda old. I might get an X-Box though, just as soon as Fable is released. After that, DOA3, DOA Beach Vollyball, and Steel Battalion, there really isn't a whole lot I'm looking forward to from the X-Box.

DDR is the best form of exercise money can buy.
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2003 18:12
I enjoyed Halo for MultiPlayer Gameplay, and Graphical,.

Ohhhh yeah i forgot about DOA3, that was a fun game. DOA Beach Volleyball was fun for them lonely nights

Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2003 18:28
DOA3 is a fun game.

Quote: "I might get an X-Box though, just as soon as Fable is released. After that, DOA3, DOA Beach Vollyball, and Steel Battalion, there really isn't a whole lot I'm looking forward to from the X-Box.
"

Good Luck Hunting it down, I cant find it anywhere other than ebay :S

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2003 18:46
personaly far prefer Tekken4 to DOA3 - PS2 controler is just far better.
that said the GC one is even better still... PS2's gets too sweaty to quick when your playing frantic games.
Ends up slipping out of your hand which is annoying.

about the only thing i've ever liked about the Playstations are thier controllers - that and when i got a Playstation it had the cheapest games, that was actually the sole reason i got it.
Couldn't afford £50+ for N64 games everytime a new one was released, just too damn dear.
all the PS has going for it is selection, but when you look at the current releases personally i find only the PSone games actually to be anything special - sure the PS2s have graphics, but the only real cool games that the PS2 has is Racket&Clank and GTA3, and GTA3 looks and plays far better on my PC (not to mention ONE HELL of alot cheaper).
Although i like some of the newer games comming out for it, i've not really been impressed by anything over the originals sofar.
And those games which do stand out are released on the PC cheaper and run faster and better graphically.

At the end of the day Playstation have had thier day, and sadly its gone because right now in games everything is just being revamped graphically - something that the PS2 is just out of date for.
It can't even handle the new physics engines that are being used, atleast not properly ... which is disappointing.
It couldn't run UT2K3 even if you did dumb down the graphics for it, simply because the Karma requirements would be far too high for it.

ya know on the whole i'm not particularly impressed with this generation of games at all. alot are poorly designed rehashes which although were fun in original form, just don't carry the same sense when in a sequal because you expect MORE.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2003 19:12
The GC controller (and pretty much the whole system) has always seemed to me to look extremely cheap - in an extremely breakable way.
The PS2 controller is very nice and sturdy.
The XBOX is also very nice, although the layout generally makes FPS a real pain to play.

heartbone
Years of Service
User Offline
The corporations have dropped the ball.

The only significant difference between a PC and an Xbox is the ability to support multiple joysticks.

Why doesn't anyone (TGC) make and sell a standard PCI board (with drivers) that fits into a PC that accepts 4 multiple joysticks?

Then I would write M.U.L.E. in DarkBASIC.

The more you see, the more you know.
The more you know, the more you see.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2003 20:43
What about USB ports - if you've got six, then it can support 6 joypads.

Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2003 00:02
Quote: "The GC controller (and pretty much the whole system) has always seemed to me to look extremely cheap - in an extremely breakable way.
"

They dont break easily at all. My Gamecube fell from a 5 ft height, landed with a loud "thump" and it's still running as good as it has.

KNau
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2003 01:04
As long as you have a good PC you will never be left out of hot, juicy gaming goodness!

Upside: PS2, GC and even X-Box are all creamed by the variety and quality offered by the PC, even when it comes to ports. Play Medal of Honor on the PC and then play it on the PS2 and you'll see what I mean. Most really good games end up ported to PC with higher resolution and extra features anyways (Halo, MGS2, etc.).

Downside: Lazy assed developers who release buggy software. Unfortunately there is no corporate quality assurance team watching out for PC games.

If you must by a console then I would recommend the PS2. As a devoted X-Box fan it pains me to say this but the PS2 generally gets better games first, has more variety of games and more support from developers. The graphics can be a little murky and dated but unless you are playing in hi-def you won't really notice. You can also play the hundreds of brilliant games you may have missed on the original Playstation for dirt cheap prices.

I love the X-Box and the graphics are (usually) top notch but developers really aren't doing anything different on it than the other consoles. It's a shame but I am continually underwhelmed and disappointed by the X-Box releases.

http://www.canceriannewmedia.com

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 14:37:13
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 14:37:13