Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Which is the best console?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2003 01:59
Quote: "I see this has been labled flamebait and yet no one has been rude, insulting or just plain idiotic in their posts."

Ok, so let's turn it into a real flamebait...
I say the Dreamcast ROCKS!

I need an animator!!! HELP ME!!
Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2003 02:06
*covers floor in oil*

Now its a flamebait

Dark Basic Pro has arived! I can feel the power!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2003 05:54
In magazines i think the harsh lighting tends to make the controler and consoler seem kinda flimsy just like the N64 did - but when your using it, its really a balance because it seems very sturdy and well built but is also pretty light without the rumblepak, this really also goes for the GC controler. Although yeah the Dual Shock pads are far more "built to last" that is ONLY the official Sony PSone Dual Shocks however personally what i think is that the PSone and the PSone's dual shock at the most robust looking and feeing of all the consoles to date.
The PS2 and PSX feel like they're made of paper to me, one good drop and everything will fall off & the XB feels like it could fall apart at anytime (like almost all PC input hardware which isn't Gravis or Logitech, exception to this rule being the MS IntelliMouse series).

Quote: "The only significant difference between a PC and an Xbox is the ability to support multiple joysticks."

Quote: "Why doesn't anyone (TGC) make and sell a standard PCI board (with drivers) that fits into a PC that accepts 4 multiple joysticks? "

why? ... Standard Gameports are capable of running 2x 4button Analouge joysticks at a given time - simply because the technology was never designed fro extra.
All joypads and sticks now are really USB some with an option for the Gameport...

you can connect upto 255 USB devices to your PC, older USB PCs come with 2 USB Slots (not unlike the PSone/PS2) and most new machines (past 2001) come with 4 as standard.

although perhaps it would be nice if TGC retailed "official" controllers and a plugin USB Box specifically for 4 extra slots for joypads - without big enough demand it just isn't going to happen.

DirectX is capable of upto 255 Game Devices, and DarkBASIC Pro is capable of running and reading from as many game devices as DirectX can
(i've had it upto 18 before all at the same time, that limit was only cause i don't have any more joypads/sticks/wheels)

case isn't really software or hardware support, its more a case of something viable and standard. Although the PS2 DualShock theme is there in the Gravis Aftershock & Logitech Rumblepad as well as Saitek's XG-2 ... at the end of the day these pads are around $30-40 each, which compared to the current consoles isn't expensive.
But remember these pads have been around for almost 4years now without any price waver, few people actually support thier rumble features (those who do the support is crap and is more worth not even having it on) add to this PC users don't have one controller as standard - so if they want a 2 player game rather than spending $30 for one they're spending $60 on 2.

Quote: "I say the Dreamcast ROCKS!"

dreamcast is dead man

Quote: "Unfortunately there is no corporate quality assurance team watching out for PC games"

Publishers first check the games for quality from a hired staff who play games 24/7 for quality assurance and durability.

then you have to get the thumbs up from Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo that it is releasable, and if they think the title has enough quality they'll stick thier stamp of approval on it.
(something the last TR went without because of what Eidos did)

Console developers have alot stricker guidelines to adhear to then PC developers, for example they have set technology which isn't going to update (if you ignore the N64DD and RamPak ) - also after release consoles can not be patched which means what you release has to be FAR more stable than any PC release because you don't get another shot at it.
Add to this you have to constantly pull bigger and better things out of technology which just can't take it just to compete with the competition.

Console developers in general are far more feirce and determined than the PC teams. They definately don't have the luxury of sitting back and saying "ah well this needs more power, rather than optimising it let just release as is and hope the new graphcis chip will fixx everything"

... you wanna know the real kicker at the moment.
Half-Life2 as you know is going to be released on the XBox which is a P3-733mhz w/GeForce4 4800ti equivilant w/64mb RDRam ... it exports a resolution of 720x576 (that can't be changed), now it is possible to turn off FSAA4x which is generally on as standard - but that won't give alot of power considering Valve have said that the XB version will be almost as breath-taking as thier currently released movies.

yet to achieve the same on your desktop you'll require a P4-2.8ghz w/GeForceFX 5900 ultra or Radeon 9800pro w/128mb plus 256mb Ram.
personally i'd like to know who is actually being more lazy here, the PC Development team or the XB one...
and i know that versions are being developed for the "Akira" and PS3 "StarCube" however the GC actually has enough power to push HL2 is the XB has, because its MIPs rating is only 50less and graphically speaking its capable of handling shaders just as well as the XB. They could dumb the graphics down a tad perhaps, like cut the models polygons from 7-8,000 to around 4-5,000... honestly you don't need models that complex especially when your using normalisation shaders, a good example of this is Midnight Club2 the cars in that are only around 2,500 polygons each but the normalisation texture makes it appear well over 10,000 per vehicle.

just a case of thinking about how your going to do something, and graphics cards on PCs are quite easily capable of huge polygon counts - if you run the TriStrip DirectX9 demo you'll notice that when you do a FIFO Nodetree tris system you can increase your systems triangle speeds by almost 50%, which directly translated between being able to push 800,000 non-textured polygons per scene to 1.8million non-textured on my FX5200 which all benchmarks claim is one of the slowest cards on the market.
Optimisation can give you one hell of alot of leaway...
especially when you look at HL2 and realise that the scenes your in are only around 300,000 each (if that) and you'll have around 10 objects onscreen at any given time which translates to only around another 100,000 polygons. Although with shaders they cut your speed in around half (2.0 cut it to a 3rd) but still the point is that its hardly a polygon intensive game as others.
Less polygons the less shaders and textures have to calculate...
add to this each resolution aspect by double is half speed,

1024x768 is half the speed of 640x480 roughly, same goes for FSAA
FSAA4x is about half the speed of FSAA2x which is about half the speed of FSAA0x - and AF contributes to this as well.

most people (god knows why) play thier games at 1024x768x32 ATLEAST, i've noted alot of gamers actually play at 1280x1024x32 and wonder why current games are so slow - but then to them anything under 60 is slow which jesus they need to grow up a bit cause you don't complain about speed until its under 30fps.

there are alot of things developer could and SHOULD do, particularly actually is add FULL support for each processor type.
my Duron processor doesn't do SIMD instructions, but my AthlonXP does - the difference standardly is nothing - however if you turn on the support for it you can gain an extra 40m/instructions per loop in all areas. Which is HUGE, especially when you consider the Duron only has MMX & 3DNow!2 whereas the AthlonXP has MMX, 3DNow!2, SSE, SSE2 ... which is another 150m/instructions odd per cycle anyways without the SIMD instructions.

games developers really need to truely start taking FULL advantage of our processor types, currently there is only
Pentium2, Pentium3, Pentium4, Celeron, Centiro, Xeon on intels side of the fence...
K6-2, K6-3, Athlon, Duron, AthlonXP, AthlonMP, Opteron, Athlon64 for AMD.

it might seem like alot but each processor has the exact same core, capable of the exact same instructions per loop directly based on its speed and diecast.
It's the little extras that are in these processors which need to be compiled for, i like the JIT Compilation of C++ .Net programs means you can set the compliation to that specific system which can squeeze a little more speed out - but still isn't perfect.
I know it seems silly, but the Processor and GPU's interaction and features speed are essential now more than ever ... its about time developers started to completely program for these again, as 10years ago before OpenGL and DirectX they didn't have a choice.
Becuase they do, they don't bother anymore - this looses the gamer one HELL of alot of speed.

Just look at the XB versions of titles out on the PC and the speed differences. Its because they're catering specifically - and really with the advent of graphics shaders, there is no more confusion about what chips are supported in new games.
Radeon or GeForce or Matrox everything else is obsolete!
Processor wise you have just x86-32 w/Extensions, add support for the extensions if ther you can add alot more speed.
Think about development using the new graphics rather than throwing anther few hundred polys to coverup the fact you can't use shaders, and we'll be cooking with oil again.

Developers for the PC have forgotten howto make a great engine for it - the excuse is an ever changing hardware market, but the hardware wouldn't change as often if new games didn't demand the need for it ... HW developers would just try to improve current designs instead.

HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
You can still like something, whether it's "dead" or not...I mean I admit I still play SNES and that is three times as dead as DC.

SW Games - www.freewebs.com/swgames

Yeah, I know, I only have one game. Yeah, I know it sucks. But I made it! Me!
CloseToPerfect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2003 08:48
heartbone some pc games do support multiple joysticks, but dark basic does detect joystick ports through dx, so unless you want to program in blitz your stuck with 1 joystick unless someone makes a dll to support it.

CTP
CloseToPerfect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2003 08:55
another good quility game for the xbox is ODDWORLD, MUNCHES ODDYSEE. It was a release title for the xbox and looks great and plays smooth and fun with alot of stuff to do in it, as well as severy different ending that are funny as hell. You can prob get it now off of ebgames used for 10-15$.

CTP
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2003 10:55
Quote: "but dark basic does detect joystick ports through dx"

actually it doesn't detect joystick ports, it just uses directinput to detect control devices.
you can have as many as directinput allows in both DB & DBP because the controls for them are the same.

Quote: "You can still like something, whether it's "dead" or not...I mean I admit I still play SNES and that is three times as dead as DC."

original question was between PS2, XB and GC though - hense saying its dead.
i like all of my computers and consoles i have, else i wouldn't have them - doesn't mean they're not dead.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2003 12:16 Edited at: 23rd Sep 2003 12:18
Quote: "As long as you have a good PC you will never be left out of hot, juicy gaming goodness"

Maybe, but I think there are fewer games being made for the PC now, than there was, say, before the XBOX came out. And look at the number of non-exclusive titles that aren't converted...

Avatar & Logo by Indi. Come to the UK DBPro Convention in Chichester
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2003 18:24
Quote: "You can still like something, whether it's "dead" or not...I mean I admit I still play SNES and that is three times as dead as DC."
Best system ever

DDR is the best form of exercise money can buy.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2003 18:26
SNES - Dont make me laugh - it was the MegaDrive...

TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2003 18:53
Quote: "dreamcast is dead man"

it still lives in my memory... and under my TV.

Quote: "SNES - Dont make me laugh - it was the MegaDrive..."

MegaDrive was the best of it's time (in MY opinion).

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2003 23:43
MegaDrive, MegaDrive... Oh yeah, they called it the Genesis over here. It had it's moments but it could hardly stand up to the wrath of Donkey Kong Country, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Final Fantasy 6, Killer Instincts, Legend of Zelda, or Secrect of Mana. KI, DKC, and CT really pulled the limits of the technology.

CloseToPerfect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2003 00:52
Quote: "Quote: "but dark basic does detect joystick ports through dx"
"

I ment to say doesn't.

Raven I have not been able to use 2 joysticks in DBP is there some secret to this? other then a custom dll for it.

CTP
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2003 00:56
HAHHA, Dreamcast? I could've gotten one from Best Buy for $75 (During that thanksgiving day holiday.) Probebly would've been worth it then, but it has nothing compared to the other 3 consoles.

In my opionion, you can't go wrong with any of the 3 consoles.
X-Box is the only of the 3 I don't have.(Hmmmm, maybe I'll get one during that thanksgiving day holdiay ) I love how X-Box doesn't use those stupid memory cards.

PS2 is also nice. Built in DVD player.(Always wins the parents over.) Has a huge variety of games. I do hate how you have to buy multitaps if you wanna play more than 2.

Gamecube is a good system for everyone. I dislike how everyone says it's a "kiddy" system. Who cares? I wanna see one of those people play super smash brothers melee and say its "kiddy", they'll be too absorbed in the game. I personally like the GameCube's controller best.(most comfortable) Overall, the PS2 controller is probebly best in design.

Well, I could argue for ages, but I'll sum things up in one sentence.

All the systems are worth buying and, you can't go wrong with any of them.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2003 01:03
Wonder why they still consider Gamecube a kiddy console. I can think of one game that could get rid of that title if it sold more and it was just plain better(remember Nintendo and Microsoft were the only ones to allow BMXXXX to have the nudity in it.)

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2003 01:10
CloseToPerfect - Joysticks should be detected in DirectInput - however, there may be a limit (as set by Lee) to the number of joysticks that DBPro can deal with.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2003 05:58
Quote: "SNES - Dont make me laugh - it was the MegaDrive..."

MEGADRIVE?? Blasphamy! ... mods tie him up and cast him out

Quote: "Raven I have not been able to use 2 joysticks in DBP is there some secret to this? other then a custom dll for it."

nope not really, the only thing you have to remember is you can only set a single directinput device as the active one.

i think something has changed cause looking at the help right now and it has something for the control device and no more HID support - last time i did the commands was on the box release version and db.
in those you perform a device checklist, set the device and it became your active joystick/pad.

maybe the changes are cause of Dx9 ... wish i'd noticed this sooner, i'll release a DLL within the next day to fixx this because i need properly controls to these.
think of someway to setup it up simple and easy.

Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2003 06:03
SNES Represent dawg...hahahahahah i love speakin gangsta lol

A Dream is a Dream unless it is Real
Grim_Reaper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2003 10:41
Quote: "SNES Represent dawg...hahahahahah i love speakin gangsta lol"

Juz look at dis crackalacka', he be fakin' da funk up all up in dis shiznit. You needa' keep it rizzle fo shizzle, tru big-pimpin' high-rollin' nintendo soul-ja fo' life naw wut im sayin you bringin' a brotha down ya dig? sheeit.

http://www.grcompositions.cjb.net
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2003 11:17
I bought a Dreamcast for $45 after it went under, I knew it wouldn't stand against the PS2. I bought it solely for the ego, and Shenmue a very good game.

I dismised the gamecube kiidy stuff very quickly, I can name half a dosen M rated games on the GC. I love the controler too, except in one game, Turok. What were they thinking?

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2003 11:58
hell turok on the next gen consoles, what were they thinking, its one of the worst games ever, it distorts the image when you looka round an druns at like 3 frames per second. very poor game, which sucks cause turok on teh 64 was one of the best fps's ever made. goldeneye being the best, not halo, halo is rather plain actually. but lets not get into that argument.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2003 12:15
Quote: "MEGADRIVE?? Blasphamy! ... mods tie him up and cast him out"

Im not doing that to myself thanks Now if some other mods were female... but I wont go there.

TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2003 14:15
Quote: "HAHHA, Dreamcast?"

ok, I just got laughed at. I'm really close to turning this thread into a flamebait...

@Yellow have you ever actually played on a DC? Apparently, you ALMOST bought one for $75. (I bought mine for $50) That means you never really got one, so you don't know what the good DC games are like (DOA2, MSR, ShenmueII, etc.)

Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2003 14:30
I played Crazy Taxi on it, it was fun.

TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2003 14:50 Edited at: 24th Sep 2003 14:53
I have crazy taxi. Don't play it much. the city is too crowded
If graphics were the only factor for making a system great then the old systems never would of appeard. (nintendo, gameboy, spectrum, etc.)
Till today there are people emulating those things (my dad is one).

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2003 19:57
Shenmue 2 never nade it to the States on the DC, I had to buy the X-Box version and Play it on my friends. I thought they'ld at least up the graphics a bit.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2003 20:44
No, they just tend to directly port, because they know people cant complain about it...

CloseToPerfect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2003 05:53
Quote: "I'm really close to turning this thread into a flamebait"

well it has been labeled flamebait so lets get it on, I keep comming here but I see no flaming yet. The mods need to remove flamebait until some flaming starts, kinda like false advertising. lol

CTP
mog_squad
Years of Service
User Offline
I hate to sound like a pathetic fanboy, but...

XBOX RULES AND EVERY OTHER SYSTEM KINDA SUCKS!

.... once again, sorry, But I cannot tell a lie...

DONT @$#%#@$% MESS WITH ME! I'll kupo your @$$!
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Ya know what was a fun game for DC? Sonic. I couldn't get enough of it...ok so I never beat it, and I never actually had DC, but the few times I played it, I played sonic, and man the levels in that were fun!

SW Games - www.freewebs.com/swgames

Yeah, I know, I only have one game. Yeah, I know it sucks. But I made it! Me!
mog_squad
Years of Service
User Offline
sigh, But unfourtunatley, with all the tecknology and everything in the new systems, nothing,and i mean nothing, stands up to the snes. Great games, good graphics. @$#%@$#, it was still around when the ps1 came out, and probobly could have kicked the @#$% out of the ps1 if nintendo hadnt put all their efforts in the n64, which is just a little bit better than the dreamcast. And the ps2 whouldnt even exist if they hadnt swiped square from nintendo, @$%# nazi sony @#%$#@%heads!

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2003 06:54
playstation would never have existed if it werent for nintendo not cause of square but cause the nintendo gamestation was a cd game player being designed by sony for the snes, then sony took the idea dn cancelled their contract or sumthin and then made the play station, there was a court case by ninty a while ago where they claimed that they owned the rights due to some flaw in the contract.

mog_squad
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey, nazi pirate dude, send me an email at mog_squad@hotmail.com
when syndicate remastered is done.

I love that game, played it all the time.

Lonnie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2003 07:30 Edited at: 25th Sep 2003 07:34
Hey guy's,
If you are going to argue about Systems, you should have PROOF of what you say is true, I think Game Cube Is best, Ive already debated about this. And you will see Why I think it is the best. Ill post a link, and a Quote, of the Forum Topic.

And also, who ever said that Nintendo is not making more Game Cubes, unless it is officialy announced, then it is not true, and unless you have proof (a link) to the site that is Reliable (or atleast semi-reliable) then you have no backing of what you said, and it would be taken as a "Rumor" or an "Oppinion"

Here is my quote!

The future of Nintendo??? Post #1

cloudff7
the negotiator

In my recent issue of GMR (EB Games' new magazine) they had a huge coverage issue on Nintendo. There's been much speculation on Nintendo's future as a game company. Right now they are third in the console war and have a small third party support. Nintendo has stated that they will release a "trump card" next year at E3. Who knows what is in store. I'm not taking a stand either way, I was just curious on your thoughts for Nintendo's future. Do you think they will rise to the top like they did in the 80's? Or fall behind so much, they will end doing what they did in the beginning; making playing cards?

Again, I'm not taking a stand either way and I'm not saying that Sony and Microsoft rule (no fanboyism in me...). This is simply a discussion on a company that ultimately resurrected video games into what they are today.

- Honor the fallen...

-The closer you get to the light, the greater your shadow becomes.

The battle begins when life ends...

- Life is a dream that we don't awake to until it ends. And when we awake we either find ourselves in Heaven or Hell pending on the choices we had made.
Report Post | IP: Logged

09-10-2003, 12:31 PM
Post #2

elhaym

hmmm i think nintendo is still alive, but we don't really have proof that they have anything good in store for us consumers, all we can do is wait and see i guess.

"sarcasm is a gift to those with higher intelligences"

09-13-2003, 08:14 PM
Post #3

Crazy 8
Happiness is an attitude.

I think that recently that Nintendo is just going on hype alone. They are starting to cut off their noses despite their faces. Espically with their near abandonment of the European Market, they may go the way of the Dreamcast. The GBA can't carry them forever.

-Crazy 8

09-14-2003, 05:36 PM
Post #4

Epyon

I see nintendo being like sega and making games for other systems in the future. Im sure they would still have a hand held system.

09-14-2003, 10:44 PM
Post #5

Arvis
Lazy reviewer

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by Crazy 8
The GBA can't carry them forever.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heh, you sure about that? The good ol' Game Boy has been kickin ass for the last, what, decade? But, you do have a point. Nintendo needs to do something that will raise the bar and attract more people than just fans. Hopefully the "trump card" they are talking about will do that; I'd hate to see them quit the race.

09-15-2003, 10:27 PM
Post #6

ValhartX
���. ��! �.

Quote:
Espically with their near abandonment of the European Market, they may go the way of the Dreamcast.

Even if it's a good game people will ignore it.

Quote:
I see nintendo being like sega and making games for other systems in the future. Im sure they would still have a hand held system.

Nintendo said once they're out of the system whatever, they're out for GOOD.
Personally, I think this is good, just so it can shut the whinners up. Then the fanboys, will have to choose between PS, X-box and the Phantom.

Yes.. FF7 sucks.

09-16-2003, 05:15 AM
Post #7

cloudff7
the negotiator

Phantom??? I remember hearing about it, but I don't recall who is trying to enter the console wars. Mind filling me in Valhart??
I hope Nintendo trys one more time. There are great company who sadly are relying too much on their trademark games (i.e. Donkey Kong, F-Zero, and Mario, etc.). I believe when they start opening their doors more to the 3rd Party developers we will see a huge jump for Nintendo. And even if they do go out like Sega, just keep in mind all you "fanboys" who resurrected the video game industry when it was on the edge of collapse.

- Honor the fallen...

- Life is a dream that we don't awake to until it ends. And when we awake we either find ourselves in Heaven or Hell pending on the choices we had made.

09-18-2003, 08:58 PM
Nintendo Will go on... Post #8

F-i-n-a-l-F-a-n

Ok here is my "Summery" of what i think:

1. Nintendo will not go out.
2. Reason I think this.
a. Nintendo has has had much more experience than PS or X-Box (you cant argue with that!)
b. Many X-Box Games can be bought, and played on the PC.
c. Playstations main Game Icons, such as Bandicoot, Final Fantasy games and several others, are now availible for the Game Cube (or will be in the next few months)
d. Nintendo is the ONLY Company that has strong Video game Franchizes that are loyal, such Zelda(One of the most popular games ever, Dont ever try arguing about that) Mario (A very well known game. period) Metroid (One of the best games!)

Game Spot Quote:

"GameSpot's entire editorial staff unanimously agrees that Metroid Prime for the GameCube is the single greatest video game of 2002. Considering how diverse our tastes are, that ought to speak volumes. But let's elaborate, shall we?
Some of us are longtime Metroid fans who were waiting for Metroid Prime with bated breath, cynically convinced that it couldn't possibly live up to the sci-fi action adventure series' high standards. Others were more optimistic--especially since seeing the game at E3 earlier this year--but nonetheless skeptical of how the game would finally turn out. Still others have had limited exposure to previous Metroid games, and thus didn't care much for the game one way or another. Yet when we finally got our hands on Metroid Prime, the first thing we knew was that we all wanted to play it for ourselves. Sure enough, each of us has gone through the game in a somewhat different fashion and taken away a unique experience from it--yet we're all in accord about the game's incredible achievements on every level, from purely technical to artistic.

Some of us are in awe of how capably the unproven group at Retro Studios managed to capture the look and feel of the Metroid series in full 3D. Others of us actually went out and bought GameCubes and copies of the game just so we could play it for ourselves. Some of us are bent on seeing literally everything there is to see in the game, while others are going through at a leisurely pace, taking in all the richly detailed and highly imaginative settings.

At the end of the day, however, we've all had an absolute blast playing the game, and we all agree that Metroid Prime is the most original, most surprisingly good, and most remarkably designed game of the year. While each of the four nominees for our Video Game of the Year award is a remarkable and outstanding game in its own right, the one-of-a-kind, thoroughly enjoyable, and unforgettable Metroid Prime surpasses them handily. It's not a stretch to say that Metroid Prime is the best game yet in the Metroid series, nor is it unreasonable to call Metroid Prime one of the greatest games ever."

http://www.gamespot.com/gamespot/fe...2/general2.html

And the top games of the year voted by Game Spot are:
"Animal Crossing
Publisher: Nintendo
Developer: Nintendo
Check latest prices »

Though not a challenging game by any means, Animal Crossing more than makes up for that with its sheer number of activities and a good sense of humor.

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (PS2)

Publisher: Rockstar Games
Developer: Rockstar North
Check latest prices »

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City provides just about everything you'd want in a follow-up to an outstanding game.

MechAssault (Xbox)

Publisher: Microsoft
Developer: Day 1 Studios
Check latest prices »

If you're going to buy one game with your Xbox Live Starter Kit, MechAssault is the one to get.

Metroid Prime (GC)

Publisher: Nintendo
Developer: Retro Studios
Check latest prices »

It's not just one of the single most atmospheric games ever created, but it's also quite simply one of the best.

Ratchet & Clank (PS2)

Publisher: SCEA
Developer: Insomniac Games
Check latest prices »

Ratchet & Clank skillfully avoids most of the traps that hold back the majority of modern platform games and presents a fantastic, well-balanced, story-driven adventure." Quote

Site http://www.gamespot.com/gamespot/fe...2/general1.html

And the games GTA: Vice City is for PC, And The X-BOX game MechAssult has better versions of Mech Warrior games for PC.

Also Nintendo has mades several world records (actualy just beating there old records) of how many games they sell with in 24 hours, and one week, and of how many pre-orders.

Remeber if your going to argue with me, or try to prove your point, then post only facts, and try to have some proof of what you said is true.

Over all, I realy like Nintendo, then PS cause they have lots of Final Fantasy games! But soon Nintendo will too. My Favorite is Nintendo(and will always be), then PS.

Hope this helped!

Ign Quote
"September 05, 2002 - Nintendo of America today announced that in its first 10 days on the market, its 3D platformer Super Mario Sunshine has sold through upward of 350,000 units. The title has already earned a spot as one of the Top 15 best selling games of this year, according to the company.
Super Mario Sunshine follows Nintendo's mascot plumber on an all-new 3D platforming adventure. After being framed for a crime he didn't commit, Mario must clean up a polluted island using a water-spray gadget mounted on his back. The game has earned high marks from the majority of specialized and mainstream press for its tight play mechanics, big worlds and pretty visuals.

"This launch is historic -- promising to break longstanding records," said Peter MacDougall, executive vice president, sales and marketing, Nintendo of America. "So far, sales rates for Super Mario Sunshine are running 36 percent ahead of even Super Mario 64 six years ago -- and that game went on to sell more than 10 million units worldwide."

Nintendo pointed out that Super Mario Sunshine's opening was significantly larger from a sales standpoint then either Halo for Xbox or Grand Theft Auto 3 for PlayStation 2. The firm also noted that retailers across the US have been reporting on average a 50 percent jump in GameCube hardware sales, sometimes double that, since Mario's debut.

A great start for sure. It will be interesting to see, though, if Super Mario Sunshine will have the staying power of Halo or GTA3 one month from now."

Site http://cube.ign.com/articles/370/370119p1.html

IGN Quote:
"January 14, 1999 - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is the number-one rented videogame this week according to data compiled by the Video Software Dealers Association. Coming in at number two is THQ's WCW/NWO Revenge, which incidentally has been in the charts for 22 weeks and running. Acclaim's South Park and Turok 2: Seeds of Evil round out the top five respectively, with LucasArts' Rogue Squadron sneaking in at number four.
1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64) 2. WCW/NWO World Tour (N64) 3. South Park (N64) 4. Star Wars: Rogue Squadron (N64) 5. Turok 2: Seeds of Evil (N64) "

http://ign64.ign.com/articles/066/066434p1.html

Quote From Ign
"October 23, 2000 - The numbers are in ? the game officially went on sale on October 15th, and at retail Pok?mon Gold and Silver have sold more than 1.4 million copies in that week's time, making it the fastest-selling game ever. The previous record holder was Pok?mon Yellow, selling more than 600,000 in the game's first week.
"There's no question about it...kids love to play Pok?mon. So far in 2000 the best-selling game in America for any home console is Pok?mon Stadium for Nintendo 64, and the best-selling game for any handheld video game system is Pok?mon Yellow for Game Boy Color," says Peter Main, executive vice president, sales and marketing at Nintendo of America. "But Pok?mon Gold and Silver will eclipse even those impressive sales totals. We project sales of 10 million units total of these two games in less than six months time."

According to Nintendo, during Pok?mon's first 24 months of availability in the American market (Pok?mon Red and Blue launched Sept. '98) Nintendo of America reported total sales of 20 million Pok?mon video games for Game Boy Color and Nintendo 64, an average of about 800,000 units monthly. However, during the fourth quarter of 2000, Nintendo projects sales of between 10 and 12 million Pokemon video games in 90 days, an average in excess of three million a month -- or nearly four times the previous rate of sales.

You can see what all the hubbub is about by clicking on the link below that will take you directly to our review of the game.

-- Craig Harris "

Site:http://pocket.ign.com/articles/086/086771p1.html

And there ya go!
And Ill be willing to debate more with ya!

Thanks!

¬F-i-n-a-l-F-a-n

And remember only post facts!

Last edited by F-i-n-a-l-F-a-n on 09-18-2003 at 09:04 PM.

09-22-2003, 05:14 AM
Post #9

cloudff7
the negotiator

Your right on many reasons, yet Mario in my opinion is really going down hill. I mean, Mario Sunshine? Let's get something straight here and we can only have so much Mario remakes on the GBA till we get so tired of it, we throw up! I believe Mario 64 was the pinnacle of the Mario games b/c it featured classic mario style gameplay in a 3-D setting. Yet these new incarnations are just getting...well crappy.

Metroid Prime is of course an amazing game and was quite a innovated way to advance the Metroid franchise. And of course you can't go wrong with Zelda!

But here is where I draw the line. You can only rest on popular franchises for so long until your fans are going to want a little more diversity. I mean I don't know about you, but I think the FF franchise is really starting to become Square's main attraction. And I miss their other creative games: Secret of Mana, Vagrant Story, DewPrism, etc.
Whether you think about it or not, all of the Zelda games are bascially the same game since the Original but disguised with other features. I know it will probably be a while until we do get tired of the originals, but trust me, it will happen eventually, unfortunately.

Lastly...well don't get me started on Pokemon, lol!!

- Honor the fallen...

Last edited by cloudff7 on 09-22-2003 at 05:16 AM.

Today, 07:13 PM
Post #10

F-i-n-a-l-F-a-n

Ya, I agree that they 'might; beable to make so many Mario Games for the GBA. But they have been doing well for the last 15+ years. And Besides they can usualy think up of new stuff. And there is always new gamers who are just getting introduced to the Mario Games.

Ill post again soon,

Later,
Final Fan

Last edited by F-i-n-a-l-F-a-n on 09-24-2003 at 07:18 PM.

And that is my Huge post for today!

later

Oh and F-i-n-a-l-F-a-n is Me!

Do Print "Hello World"
Wait 2003 loop
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2003 14:28
Umm, a simple link would've done.

TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2003 17:14
Quote: "if nintendo hadnt put all their efforts in the n64, which is just a little bit better than the dreamcast."

N64 better than DC? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Have you ever played Starwars POD racer on N64? You'll notice the image is pretty blurred. Mario 64? The graphics weren't that good ether. I'm yet to see a game in N64 with graphics that would make me say, "wow", or atleast "hey, that's neat."
The DC on the other hand...
What games did you play on the DC to come to that conclusion? Probably not DOA2, MSR, or AEROWINGS.
AEROWINGS' graphics are MUCH better than MSFlight Simulater 2k2 on a PC. It has LOTS of buildings, while MSFS2k2 only has terrain textures (and a few structures).

@Lonnie: Congratulations. You have actually posted something bigger than most (if not all) of Raven's posts. Just a link would've been good.

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2003 22:48
Considering the DC was released 3 yrs after the N64 of course it's gonna do better, maybe mog_squad was talking anout the Saturn. In any case you can't disreguard what the N64 was, it was stuned the world by having 3d graphic in a cartridge. Hell the graphics were even better than the PS1 in alot games, esspecailly when it came to textures.

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2003 00:07
@TKF15H

Yes, I've played dreamcast. Of course it has good games.(crazy taxi, shenmue, and a good handful of others.)

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2003 02:54
oh. ok.
@Arrow: Why would the world get "stunned" by 3D GFX on an eprom? Other than the fact that it was the first time someone tried something like that, I don't see what's so amazing. I've always hated cartriges...

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2003 03:03 Edited at: 27th Sep 2003 03:03
Considering the times, 3d graphics on a cartige was unheard of, that coupled with no need of a memory card and no load times made it hghly buyable. The N64 sold more systems it's opening day than the PS1 did in two weeks. The N64 also was had 64 bit grapics, the PS1 onlt had 32, which ment a world of didfferance when it came to textures. The N64 aslo started the whole console force feedback, along with 4 controler ports, all of the Next-gen systems copied some of the N64 features in one way or another. Also the N64 did something really amazing, a complete port of Resident Evil 2 WITH all the CG scenes included. Sure it may have had some bad games but you can't deny it's abilities or infuance.

Northern Fist
Years of Service
User Offline
For me anyways, it goes like this:

1. PS2
2. GameCube
3. Halo
(an old joke from school - when PS2 titles weren't at a standstill)

"Power, precision, and don't forget about speed. If you practice everyday with these things in mind... you begin to develope A FIGHTING MODE." - Fist of Legend (Jet Li)
Shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2003 20:26
Without Nintendo, there would be no D-Pad or analogue sticks. Fact.

TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2003 22:36
Quote: "Without Nintendo, there would be no D-Pad or analogue sticks. Fact."

Fiction.
The analogue stick was around much before Nintendo. The D-Pad too. I remember my cousins had a video-game who's graphics looked much like those of a GameBoy (no, not GBC) and it had an analogue stick for a control.
Didn't the Atari have one? I'm not sure... I'm not that old...

The Game
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2003 23:05
The analog stick has been around for quite awhile, but the N64 was the first to use an analog pad that could read the direction and strength of the push, like pushed in 37% at 228°. Pads originaly made for consoles could only read eight directions and two strengths: pushed and not pushed before then.

I am the game and I want to play.
TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2003 05:15
Don't you mean the first console to use decent analogue controls? I mean, didn't the PC allready have it?

The Game
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2003 06:20
Isn't this forum topic about consoles?

TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2003 03:03
Isn't that what we're talking about???

The Game
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2003 03:51
That's what I thought

Fortran
Years of Service
User Offline
Three questions:
1) Is the GameCube really leaving nintendo's childish game style?
2) Is the X-BOX controler big enough to be refered to as a control panel?
3) Is the PS2 doing anything against linux ports like the M$ did?

<Bothere me & you DIE!!>
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2003 06:08
1) Nintendo has Eternal Darkness (a game where you kill zombies, and other hellish mosters while fighting to keep your sanity), Resident Evil, and an Uncencored version of BMX XXX with full frontal nudity. You tell me.

2) The original X-box controlor is a little smaller than a Gamecube, however the Steel Btalion control is a panal. It has over 50 button, knobs, pettals, and joysticks. The whole thing costs over $100, ($150 if you get it with the game).

3) Doubtful, the main reason a Linux X-Box hack was made was because that there are alot of anti-Microsoft guys out there, personally I don't think this Linux deal is such a big deal.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 14:38:03
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 14:38:03