Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / 3D Character Maker - Character model creation tool

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2010 22:53 Edited at: 26th May 2010 22:58
Hi all,
I have finally decided to create a new thread to show off the progress of my character creation tool. Yes, there have been WIP threads in the past. If you haven't read about this project before though, here is a quick explanation of what it is for:

3D Character Maker is a tool to create customized character models that are fully rigged and animated and ready to pop right into DBpro, DGDK, FPSC or anything else that will load .x models. Almost everything can be modified: Skin color, hair styles, body type (fat, skinny, muscular, average), facial features, clothing and a lot more! When you export your model, you get a .x file, a diffuse texture and a normal map. The character also supports facial animation and can be used directly with DarkVoices. Sound cool?

For those that have seen my past WIP threads on this project, you are probably wondering what is taking so long. Well, the entire thing has been re-done again. As I was progressing late last year on this, TGC became interested in the project but were not satisfied with the quality. They got me some help from bond1 (maker of several model packs for FPSC). He completely re-created my base model. I have been busy since then tearing his model apart to get it to work with my application. I have also spent a lot of time re-creating all of my textures and most of the routines that generate the model. Now, that is all amost done.

Before anyone asks, I have no idea WHEN this will be released. I also have no idea HOW MUCH it will cost or what the final terms and conditions will be for the use of the models. So, I can't answer any of those things except like this: As soon as possible, Reasonable, No royalties for use of the models.

I have attached an image that shows my current base model in the application. Comments are welcome!

Ron

a.k.a WOLF!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2010 23:02
I remember the previous thread.

Can't wait to see how this develops. It's looking great!

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 26th May 2010 23:13
WOWWW, man! That looks really AWESOME and it sounds GREAT! I (and I'm sure there are many others beside me) have been waiting for something like this! Modelling characters is always been a pain in the a$$, so this will come in handy!
I was wondering, though: can we rig and animate the models inside the program? Or is it like choosing predefined poses or movements that we then apply to our models?
And, can we make non-biped models with it, like animals and alien creatures?
Anyways, I really hope that this program gets finished, and good luck with it! Nice work so far!

Cheers

Slayer rules!!! Yeaaah, man!
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2010 23:22
Quote: "can we rig and animate the models inside the program?"

No. The mesh is all pre-rigged. So, there is no need for that. Animations are also included but you can't animate inside of the application. Currently, the app just exports all available animations into the final model. I may include something in the future to make animations selectable and export only the ones that you want. That shouldn't be too hard to do.

Quote: "And, can we make non-biped models with it, like animals and alien creatures?"

No. Just humans for now. The initial release will also probably only be male characters. Females will be added down the road.

Thanks for the compliments!

a.k.a WOLF!
Sammo
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey, will there be an open source version of this program when it is released so that others may tweak it?

I'm a fairly new user here just getting settled in
Tom J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2010 02:35
Very cool. I was just wondering yesterday whether this was still being worked on Glad to see it's still going
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2010 04:53
I've had money set aside for this since the first WIP thread. Let me check... yep, it's still under my pillow.

NaGaFailMo.
tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2010 06:20
This is great news, I'm glad the project hasn't stopped. I just started playing Oblivion and the character maker there made me think of your project and I wondered what happened to it.

A 3D marble platformer using Newton physics.
jfroco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2010 06:44
Hi Ron,

Great news!!! I will buy it as soon as it becomes available.

Best regards
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2010 10:08 Edited at: 27th May 2010 19:09
@ Ron,

Excellent. Welcome back! I realise this project has been a gargantuan haul for you with re-writing and re-jigging so thanks for sticking with it through all this time.

Been waiting eagerly for the return of the 3DCM thread. Looking forward to further updates, videos and piccies in the [indefinite] future!

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2010 15:43
Awesome, simply amazing.

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2010 21:32
@ Ron,

Good to see that it exports to .x -

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 27th May 2010 22:26
Very NICE!
this tool will help so many ppl in the community , its awesome!
binsky
Years of Service
User Offline
Is the GUI coded in c#?
Cyborg ART
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2010 00:00
Quote: "@ Ron,

Good to see that it exports to .x -
"

Do you use Dark Basic Pro? Didn't know you could export animated .x files from DBPro

Zaibatsu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2010 01:15
Looks really great, will definitely buy when it comes out.

What kind of animations are included? Any chance of a demo video showing the animations?

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2010 05:50
Quote: "Hey, will there be an open source version of this program when it is released so that others may tweak it?"

No. I have no plans for that. Sorry.

Quote: "Is the GUI coded in c#? "

No. The GUI is done in Visual Basic. The render window is done in DBpro.

Quote: "Do you use Dark Basic Pro? Didn't know you could export animated .x files from DBPro"

You can't.
The .x export is written in my app. At some point I could look at making this available seperately as part of a DBpro plugin, but I don't want to distract myself with something else at this point. Because I know exactly what is inside my base models, my routine works very well at outputing a good .x file. It would take a lot of testing and playing around to make it work with anything that I threw at it.

Quote: "What kind of animations are included? Any chance of a demo video showing the animations?"

Right now it includes all of the animations that come standard with FPSC. That is probably all that will be available in the initial release. I definitely plan to add more animations in the future though, mostly as a part of addon packs. For instance, if I make a "medieval knight" addon pack, it would probably include armor options, some weapons, and animations that go with it.
I also have another idea that would add tons of animations. I need to do some testing before I say any more about that though
I'll try to put a video together soon that shows an exported model running trough the animation set.

Thanks for all of the interest!

a.k.a WOLF!
Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2010 17:08
Wow, I've seen this thread floating around the WIP board but never thought to click on it. Suddenly I decide to take a look and I realise this is an incredibly useful project which will solve on of the big hurdles of 3D game design - best of luck, I'd certainly pay for this!

An idea about animations: even if we can't alter the basic animation, would it be possible for us to alter the speed of the animations? I know you can do this within DBPro but it would make things easier if you could alter the actual speed of the various animations from within the Character editor.

Secretary of Unknowable Knowledge for the Rock/Dink administration '08
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2010 17:43
Quote: "An idea about animations: even if we can't alter the basic animation, would it be possible for us to alter the speed of the animations? I know you can do this within DBPro but it would make things easier if you could alter the actual speed of the various animations from within the Character editor."

That probably wouldn't be too hard to do. I'll have to look at the export settings and see how I can change it. I don't think I'd want to process all of the animation data - it would take forever to export. But, there may be another way to do it.

I've actually been fighting with my export routine last night and this morning. I did some serious optimizations to it a few days ago. I just noticed that while it works when animation is just played through DBpro, it is now broken when using the bumpbone shader. I can always fall back to the previous version of my code if I can't get this straightened out, but it would be nice to have it working using my new routine. Oh well, I think I'll take a break from the export routine for a while and get back into media creation.

a.k.a WOLF!
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2010 10:33
@ Ron,

Any possibility of attaching objects to the 3dcm characters within the app?

Also, can you give any more info just how many features the app will have in terms of what you can alter on the base model...

Also, when you mention armour/gear in future add-ons, is that stuff/objects to be attached to the base model or new base model?

My vote btw is for female model, then fps types, then rpg types (in future wishful thinking mode)...

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2010 23:12
Quote: "Any possibility of attaching objects to the 3dcm characters within the app?"

It isn't possible right now, but that wouldn't be a hard thing to add. In fact, I could probably even make the attached objects export with the model as part of the same mesh. I'll have to look more into this. Good idea.

Quote: "Also, when you mention armour/gear in future add-ons, is that stuff/objects to be attached to the base model or new base model?"

I'm not sure I exactly understand your question, but hopefully I can answer it anyway. The mesh "changes" based on the gear chosen. So, it is not like there is a naked character model underneath, then other meshes are simply added on top of it. That would be a much easier way to do things on my end, but it would make the character models terribly inefficient. Every character would need layers and layers of polys and would also need multiple textures. That would not be a good thing!

Quote: "Also, can you give any more info just how many features the app will have in terms of what you can alter on the base model..."

Here is a quick list of some of the things:
-Skin color
-Different skin textures for different areas of the body
-Eye Color
-Eyebrow Color
-Texture options of the following facial areas:
Forehead
Nose
Eyes
Mouth
Chin/Jaw
Cheekbones
Eyebrows
-Facial Feature size modification options for:
Forehead
Nose
Eyes
Mouth
Chin/Jaw
Cheekbones
-Body Size modification (Thin, Average, Muscular, Large)
-Body part scaling options for:
Overall
Body
Head
Neck
Arms
Legs
-Hair Color
-Facial Hair Color
-Hair Style
-Facial Hair Style
-All sorts of clothing options (this one is hard to explain!)

There is definitely a feel that you can customize your character to make him somewhat unique.

Quote: "My vote btw is for female model, then fps types, then rpg types (in future wishful thinking mode)..."

I have no idea what to attack next. Time will tell.

a.k.a WOLF!
Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2010 10:39
This looks extremely useful I look forward to seeing the final product.

Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2010 01:05
I think the same, this looks pretty cool.
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2010 08:48
Looks like you're making some progress

Been wondering what happened to this.

Oh, out of curiosity, will it have an option to export animations separately for use with Enhanced Animations? It is easy enough to write your own program for it but eliminating the extra step would make things easier no doubt.

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2010 15:15
Quote: "Oh, out of curiosity, will it have an option to export animations separately for use with Enhanced Animations? "

Right now... no. That would be a very simple thing for me to add though.

a.k.a WOLF!
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2010 17:16
can't wait for this to come out. looks very cool.

p.s.
cool, there is another "yenzer" on the boards besides me now i don't feel so alone

gamer, lover, filmmaker
Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
Add me to the list of those waiting for this very useful project to be released. Thanks for posting, it is good to know that it's still in development.
Stefan p
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2010 23:47 Edited at: 6th Jun 2010 23:48
When I buy this I will probably move onto 3d because modeling has been my problem in the 3d world. Also awesome job, its people at your level of programing who inspire me to try to get to that level as I get older.

I am mother and father, but never nurse.I'm rarely still, but I never wander. What am I? See my sketch
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2010 02:37
@ Ron,

Thanks for getting back to me on those questions - you guessed what I was getting at re clothing/armour.

Kinda thinking out on a limb here (unintentional pun) but it would be neat also if you could swap the mesh for a specific limb with another (presumably resized) alternative of your own?

For example, give your soldier a metal lower leg etc. etc.?

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2010 17:37
Duffer,
You will somewhat be able to do that. Once I get a bit further with some of the options, I'll put a vid together so you can see how it works.

a.k.a WOLF!
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2010 01:25
@ Ron,

Sounds good. Will be a study in patience waiting for the vids...

Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2010 09:47
This looks like an absolutely stunning piece of software. You are pretty much guaranteed at least one sale!

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2010 19:12 Edited at: 15th Jun 2010 19:13
Progress Update:
Still working on all the facial feature adjustment possibilitis. I have everything with the forehead, nose, eyes, mouth, and chin/jaw done. The only thing left are the cheek bones adjustments. Hopefully, I can scratch that off the list today. I am then going to look at chaging how the GUI works for the adjustments. Right now, there are just some plus/minus buttons that allow you to click to modify. It works ok, but it can be a pain to keep clicking over and over again. I might add some slider controls to make things much simpler. That would also allow me to limit the adjustments to something realistic. There is no point in being able to move a person's eyes completely off their head!
Once that is done, I may add random and reset buttons to make some quick random faces. That should be a cool addition.

I have been working on and off with adding a background scene to the editor. Any ideas on what to use? My best ideas so far are either a beach scene or a gym. I started working on the beach scene, but I haven't been real happy with the results so far. Anyone want to help?

I also found a TON of animations that can be added to my app for free. There are around 2500 of them I think. They are all good quality motion captures with a wide variety of animations. The source was free for commercial projects so I will look at adding them to 3DCM for free. I just have to work out getting the animations working with the bone structure that I used. I will also have to work out some way to include/exclude animations im my export.

The fun never stops!

a.k.a WOLF!
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2010 19:26
Looks great Ron,
If you have the time could you please post some screenies of two characters that are completely different, just so we get an idea of the range of characters you can make.

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2010 20:44
Obese,
Sure. I can post something soon that shows differences that can happen in the face. Once I get the "random" thing working on the face, I'll post a video to show it off. Hmmmm... I should probably make the random button alter the face texture selections too. That will really provide a range of different looks at the click of a button.
I'll have to create some more media before I can show-off the possible variation of the body. Really though, if I can create a mesh/texture for something, it can be added to the media set. So, the possible variation is only limited by my ability to pump out more options

a.k.a WOLF!
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2010 22:34
I have attached a video that shows off how the face editing works.
Sorry about the quality. You can get a good idea of the way things work though.

All parts are now on sliders. So, you just push the slider one way and the a facial feature changes in one direction. You push it another way and it changes in the other direction. There are a total 29 different areas of the face that can be deformed.

At the beginning of the video, I push a slider to increase/decrease the slope of the nose. Then, I push a slider to increase and decrease the height of the chin. After that, I just keep pushing the "random" button that randomizes all of the facial features and textures. You can really get some different looks! The random button often results in someone that is pretty goofy looking, but you can always clean it up with some manual adjustments.

Oh well, I hope you like!

Ron

a.k.a WOLF!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Azunaki
Years of Service
User Offline
would this be able to be placed into a game so that the player could edit their character?

[url]http://myportfolio.x10hosting.com/[url]
visit my site.(still in progress)
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2010 14:06 Edited at: 1st Jul 2010 14:08
I think this is looking awesome now mate. My only concern is that I don't think anyone can make games good enough to live up to the quality of the media.

Actually, I have a few questions!

- The characters are extremely detailed. Do you think we will need a third party LoD tool to reduce the polys for distance views? Or do you plan to apply your transformation algorithms to multiple LoDs levels of that base character, and export them all?

- Do you think there would be some sort of skeleton available that we could animate? I'd want to be able to use Milkshape to create new animations that I could apply to the finished model. Though if it comes with 2500, then I may not need to. Ahh forgot ... the picking his nose while eating a donut and breakdancing animation I need probably won't be included in that set.

I think when this tool is finally complete, it might be thing that finally gets me to make first person games, rather than my "my media is lame, but you can't tell from this distance" third person games.

Insert piccy sig here. Eh? Why didn't that work?!?! Must ring help-a-noob. What was the number again? .... where am I?
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2010 16:54
Quote: "would this be able to be placed into a game so that the player could edit their character?"

Sorry, but no. I may be able to work out a version to do something like that in the future but that isn't the intention of the application right now.

Quote: "My only concern is that I don't think anyone can make games good enough to live up to the quality of the media."

LOL! I don't know about that... There are some talented programmers here. I was just talking to this guy recently that had some questions about animation. I think he is more than capable

Quote: "- The characters are extremely detailed. Do you think we will need a third party LoD tool to reduce the polys for distance views? Or do you plan to apply your transformation algorithms to multiple LoDs levels of that base character, and export them all?"

Right now, the characters are about 6000 triangles (depending on the options chosen). That isn't too bad. I've looked at writing poly reduction tools in the past. It probably wouldn't be too hard to make one that is built-in to this. That would probably be the best way to handle it. I don't think that is something that I want to get into at this point though.

Quote: "- Do you think there would be some sort of skeleton available that we could animate? I'd want to be able to use Milkshape to create new animations that I could apply to the finished model. Though if it comes with 2500, then I may not need to. Ahh forgot ... the picking his nose while eating a donut and breakdancing animation I need probably won't be included in that set."

Maybe what I can do is give away a free "base" model. I can probably even make that available soon. People can animate it all they want. Since the structure will be the same as any other character that is exported from 3DCM, the animations could be easily applied. I may have to write a small tool to pull animations out of one model and apply them to another. Or, maybe I can build something inside of 3DCM that will load animations from a model that shares the same structure as 3DCM and allow you to export them with the character that you are creating. There are lots of possibilities.

Quote: "I think when this tool is finally complete, it might be thing that finally gets me to make first person games, rather than my "my media is lame, but you can't tell from this distance" third person games."

Haha! Your media always looks awesome. It is a lot better than the "my media is lame, and you CAN tell from this distance" way of doing things.

a.k.a WOLF!
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2010 21:26
Sounds ace mate.

6000 tris is great close up, but I am a performance whore, and enjoy streamlining everything as much as possible. I think it's cool to cross that bridge later though, and you can gauge if there's any demand for that functionality. I think TGC sells a poly reduction tool, don't they? So if that works, problem solved!

Also a base model would do the job fine. So long as there is a mechanism to apply our own animations to the exported chappies, then I think it's a winner. 3D Character Maker + EnAn, and I think the possibilities will be endless!

Looking forward to seeing this progress buddy.

Insert piccy sig here. Eh? Why didn't that work?!?! Must ring help-a-noob. What was the number again? .... where am I?
mindragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2010 17:31
This sounds excellent and is just what I´ve been searching for! I really hope you´ll be able to complete it. If so, you have a buyer right here.
Best of luck!
WickedVixen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2010 19:49
Ron, if you're wanting to make pictures of your models, for 'radio contacts' or something of that ilk, being able to import .bmp, .png, and .jpg for a background image would work well.

The other thing is, you'd have to "lock" your model to a front view, then take the snapshot, with a keypress or mouse click. Then, pop up a "proofing" window with the option to "save as/is" or "modify". The "modify" would take you back to the model editing, to adjust the pose of the model. (Similar to that on the RockBank site with a substitute model.) Then, "Save" the pose, and reapply the background-- then "proof". If all looks right, then take the snapshot and save it as any decent internet-capable picture type. (I prefer .png and .tga to anything else.)

It's just an idea. This could work for "passport" or "ID" photos for in-game currency, ID cards or other types of information passing. Frankly, I'd like to see it implemented in-game for a character's pic being placed on a 'business card' or 'guild card' for friend lists.

point man
Years of Service
User Offline
So what type of clothing does it come with? Army? si-fi? What?
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2010 02:16
@ Ron,

How goes 3DCM? Any more piccies or vids to demo?

Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2010 03:09
This is certainly something I'd buy, looks really cool!

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2010 22:00 Edited at: 19th Aug 2010 22:04
Quote: "I have been working on and off with adding a background scene to the editor. Any ideas on what to use?"

Yes, a 'load background texture' button. That way the user can have whatever background they like.

Skin Tones
I remember from a previous WIP that the skin colours were selectable from a preset range of human skin tones. Whilst I agree that a preset range is a good idea, I think that the ability to select any colour for the skin would be a very useful inclusion. That way a simple alien could be created by giving a human model a blue or green skin tone.

Skin Textures
You also mention being able to place different skin textures onto different areas of the body. An excellent idea! I don't know how you have this working but in my head there would be a skin texture folder that you select the texture from. Allowing the textures to live in a folder would mean that the user could create his/her own skin texture to apply to the model (reptile skin?) then if they so desire, they could upload that texture to the forum for others to store in their texture folder and suddenly everyone can have a reptile skinned hunmanoid.

Clothing
A similar thing could be done with clothing. Although you say that the mesh is altered with different clothes, surely a shirt is but a shirt? With one shirt mesh could come a thousand shirt textures and if they are stored in a folder that the user can access and distribute (like my skin texture idea) then the users can create a huge wardrobe of clothes for everyone to use ... saving you a hell of a lot of work

Animations
You say you found 2500 animations that can be added to the character (Great!). So my next point might be pointless but originally you stated that the characters would have the FPSC animations. Have you ever looked at the run animation from a third person perspective? It is laughably poor! Either the character has a very bad limp or he really needs the toilet! If you could change that so that he ran correctly it would be a huge improvement but like I said, since you found 2500 animations then there is probably already a decent run animation in there.

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2010 02:58
Sorry for taking so long to respond. I haven't been on the forums much lately. Life has been busy. I've tried to respond twice and both times in the middle of my long, descriptive posts, my web browser decided to jump back to the previous page as if I hit my back button. Grrrr....

Quote: "So what type of clothing does it come with? Army? si-fi? What? "

It will start with modern every-day people. I have no idea what will come next.

Quote: "Yes, a 'load background texture' button. That way the user can have whatever background they like."

Haha! That would certainly be the easiest way to do it!

Quote: "I remember from a previous WIP that the skin colours were selectable from a preset range of human skin tones."

There is a default palatte of "normal" skin tones to select from. There is also an "other" button that allows you to select ANY color.

In response to the skin textures and clothing options, it isn't as easy as adding textures to a folder. 3DCM uses it's own custom format to make everything work as efficiently as possible. Also, there is more work to be done than just creating the texture. For instance, the clothing needs to be broken into seperate areas that allow each part of the clothing to be color changable.

Quote: "Have you ever looked at the run animation from a third person perspective? It is laughably poor! Either the character has a very bad limp or he really needs the toilet!"

Haha! Yes. I know exactly what you are talking about. I haven't been through all of the "other" animations to see what is available, but I too would imagine that there are some other options available for a run animation.

a.k.a WOLF!
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2010 00:56 Edited at: 24th Aug 2010 00:57
@ Ron,

All sounds good. As I've mentioned if there was some facility to allow you to swap meshes for certain limbs and perhaps add objects to hands etc that would add a little more than the backdrop in visualising and creating characters for games.

Assuming it will be (in terms of exported character 3d files) fully compatible with enhanced animation plugin?

Beyond that we ourselves can tinker around with textures etc with lith unwrap or ultimate unwrap 3d and your texture max plugin?

Any more thoughts on import of other interesting animations to the original product? (to steer around allegations that the original running man animation is a chap dashing for the little boys room 'touching cloth')?

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2010 21:41
Sorry Duffer... I was away on business. Life just won't slow down!

Quote: "All sounds good. As I've mentioned if there was some facility to allow you to swap meshes for certain limbs and perhaps add objects to hands etc that would add a little more than the backdrop in visualising and creating characters for games."

I agree it would be useful. I don't know if this will make it into the first release, but it is something worth adding so we will have to see.

Quote: "Assuming it will be (in terms of exported character 3d files) fully compatible with enhanced animation plugin?"

Yes.

Quote: "Beyond that we ourselves can tinker around with textures etc with lith unwrap or ultimate unwrap 3d and your texture max plugin?"

You could definitely do whatever you want with the textures after they are exported. I don't know that TextureMax will work nicely with this though. The final textures here are 2048x2048. That may be too much for TextureMax. I'l love to update TextureMax to use the same system that I am now using in 3DCM, but time is short.

Quote: "Any more thoughts on import of other interesting animations to the original product? (to steer around allegations that the original running man animation is a chap dashing for the little boys room 'touching cloth')?"

To be honest, I haven't thought about it much yet. I'm just concentrating on getting nice looking exportable characters done. Once I get a good system built and released, anything like this can be added in the future.

a.k.a WOLF!
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2010 22:43
this program looks amazing, and I'd say you've got a buyer in me!

imageflock.com/img/1272671763.jpg[/img]
skype = isaacpreston. I want to talk to YOU

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 06:56:22
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 06:56:22