Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / designing a 3d atmosphere for beginner in darkbasic

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
hi everyone. i am new to this forum, actually this is my first post here.

i have coded in vb.net and have played with darkbasic pro just recently, which from my past vb.net coding, darkbasic seems very easy to pick up. i have read online that darkbasic only allows 3dsmax files to be used, so i got 3dsmax, which i'm quite impressed with.
-----------
what i would like to know, is how do i create a 3d atmosphere and allow moving of a character around in.
basically,

1. do i just import 3dsmax objects, scenes, etc., in darkbasic, or do i have to code those boxes and import the objects to take place of them?

2. creating a character in 3dsmax and using it in darbasic, do i have to make an animation of it in 3dsmax to simulate movement or does darbasic somehow do the simulation by code?
zeroSlave
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2010 17:03 Edited at: 27th May 2010 17:04
Welcome to the forums!

You don't have to use 3ds Max. As long as the graphic modeling package can export .x or .3ds files, you will be fine. (.x files are better. They load MUCH faster.") Blender works, Truespace, etc.

1. Nah, you can create what ever you want in 3dsMax and import it. There are a few guidelines for exporting (mostly, just get the panda directx exporter for your version of max. Make sure normals are correct, don't scale the model itself unless you are actually scaling the polys or vertices in "edit poly" or "edit mesh", and don't mirror the object. It will mess with your normals.)

Once you have your models made and exported, all you need to do in DB is: LOAD OBJECT "c:\WhereYourModelIs\YourModel.X", 1 then POSITION OBJECT 1, 0,0,0(Or wherever you want it in 3d space)

2. If you create a character in 3dsMax, you will probably want to rig it and animate it inside 3dsMax. If it is something simple or mechanical (like a car or tank, etc) you can use the LIMB commands in DB to control the actual limbs of the model. (like the tires or the turret)

I prefer to go the animate and keyframing in 3ds Max route.

My green thumb grew the tree my Trojan War horse was crafted from. With roses in our pockets we rally round the tombstones. Ashes to ashes, we all fall down.
secondcode
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2010 23:09 Edited at: 29th May 2010 07:05
thank you for the well informative reply CoughMist, especially for the code sample.

i will have to take a look at Truespace and about creating those .x files ( blender's menus are too time consuming )

thanx again.
zeroSlave
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2010 23:45
I personally did not like blender and that is why I stuck with an older version of 3ds max (8). I spent enough on it, and I didn't want to pay to upgrade for features that I wouldn't necessarily need or use. I checked out both Truespace and Blender thinking that they may be better at the time because they were a more current version than my 3dsMax, but I couldn't wrap my head around the interface.

If you've got 3ds Max, go with that. There is a reason is it so expensive in comparison to Blender and Truespace's price tag of: free.
If you need a .x exporter download the Panda Directx Exporter for the version of Max that you have.

My green thumb grew the tree my Trojan War horse was crafted from. With roses in our pockets we rally round the tombstones. Ashes to ashes, we all fall down.
secondcode
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2010 02:02 Edited at: 10th Jun 2010 09:10
i guess that comparison does make a huge difference, lol, but the interface, as you mentioned for blender, totally confusing, and might be worth that comparison.
i guess i'll keep loading 3dsmax from time to time, and eventually all will fall in place as it is slowly doing.

thanks for the link to the panda directx exporter, it has a version for the 2010.
------------
CoughMist, i do have one more question. this might be a little off topic, but since i personally like finding goodies here and there every so often, here goes.

is DarkBasic Pro powerful enough of creating games like Call of Duty: Modern Warfare ( google images ) or Grid ( [href=http://www.google.com/images?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hl=en&source=imghp&q=grid+game&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai= ]google images[/href] ) ??
luskos
Years of Service
User Offline
It have the power of creating mentioned games, just you need to put in counts that this games are created by big names in this industry and so you need big team to achieve something like that.

Where there is a will, there is a way.
I often edit my posts, that`s who i am
secondcode
Years of Service
User Offline
thank you luskos.
Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2010 03:54
you can always use the built in basic primatives to make a world like make matrix, make object cube\sphere\cone or whatever the rest of the primatives are, thats how i do most tests.

The Object of war is not to die for your country but make the other guy die for his
secondcode
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks for the reply travis gatlin.

any chance you can share some code, simple, and with comments if possible?
if so, here is an idea...

1. a room with a door opening, just to be able to move from/to the room.
the room should have 4 walls, 1 wall with the door opening, and if in the mood, add a window to one of the other walls.

2. 1 or 2 objects in the room to understand the concept of placing items and having to walk around them.

3. not really necessary, but if not too much code, to have a moving box from using the w,s,d,a keys which should allow the mouse to look around.

4. of course some lighting would be a bonus. maybe a ceiling light or a lamp on one of the objects, and the outside world lighting.

thanks in advance.
secondcode
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2010 02:50 Edited at: 18th Jun 2010 08:41
since no one offered to share code for this thread, i somehow put together code on my own.
here goes..

i managed to get some helpful information from the following tutorial.

for some odd reason, i could not manage to get the collision with the objects to work properly with the mouse view in the above code, but that is another homework project for me and maybe more questions for this forum.

thank you all for the replies to this thread.

p.s. CoughMist, those .X files do load quicker, and wow, much better than making and using boxes all over the place, roflmao, although it does help when designing "the matrix".

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 18:25:57
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 18:25:57