Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / DarkGDK with DirectX , whats the starting point?

Author
User Banned
Posted: 31st May 2010 14:42
i was wondering if anyone can point me to where can i find a tutorial or a document about using DarkGDK with DirectX , i have rad some DirectX info about how it works and everything and it seems pretty hard to understand without having the ability to compile some code and see the results, can someone point me to the starting point?
Neomex
Years of Service
User Offline
I think there's already no point in doing this. DarkGDK is just a lot easier version of directX (in fact that is based on it).

If you want to learn directX, you can start here:
(good for begining, but not fully free)
http://www.directxtutorial.com/

But remember, that you will need to write lot of things, that you already have in darkGDK.

There're not many tutorials about darkGDK ( documentation is genious ), so I think there's noabout dgdk+dx, as I said it's pointless.
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 31st May 2010 18:10
hasan?
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2010 18:18
Quote: " find a tutorial or a document about using DarkGDK with DirectX "

Not sure you will find anything like that, you are best learning some DirectX programming to start with, there are a few tutorials online.
Then you need to know the various ways of getting handles to the GDK/DirectX components you need, there are undocumented functions that allow you to do this. Hassan will know a few as he has integrated some raw directX stuff with GDK. I know how to get access to the window but its on my other computer, but it all depends on what you are doing?

Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2010 19:50 Edited at: 31st May 2010 19:50
Well, you should learn directX9 from scratch, and make a few "little" applications with it so you can understand it, and then you'd use it easily with GDK, i myself have learned it from some books, but here's a good site (dunno whether it gives tutorials or reference, but i learned alot from it) http://www.toymaker.info/Games/index.html i think it covers all the basics

Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
www.cplusplus.com / Totally Awesome

www.directxtutorial.com / Totally Awesome

Information Tool in DarkGDK Dir Folder / Totally Awesome - All u Need to Know

That´s it!

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 31st May 2010 21:38
yeah i know the refrence and the tutorials inside the dirctory, but i need some DirectX stuff that dosent mentioned in DarkGDK such as Texture Blending, DarkGDK have the Texture Stages but i didnt see anywhere on how to use diffrent diffuse textures rather then Normal mapping or Specular which can easily be done with DarkGDK .
Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline
DarkGDK is a DirectX wrapper that can be used with various languages. If you are using DarkGDK to make your game, you're using DirectX, just not at the level I think you want to get at. But frankly, if you're confused about this, then you're not ready for DirectX.

Also, there are a lot of really good game engines and libraries that will probably suite your needs just as well. There's not really a need to get into the nitty gritty unless your doing some heavy custom development and creating your library and engine from scratch. Companies spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to create new engines. It takes a long time. I advise you stick with DBP, DarkGDK, XNA, Unity, UnrealEd, Torque or any other library/engine/game dev package.

"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants" - Isaac Newton
Current Project: http://strewnfield.wordpress.com/ (Last updated 06/11/09)
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 2nd Jun 2010 11:13
im a part of the S3GE team - super 3d game engine , thats why directX is sometimes necesery there are a lof of way to tweak what is already implented in DarkGDK, we all know there are numberous amount of bugs and stuff need to be fixed , until then one can use DirectX for somethings, lets say for example the 3D line which GDK dosent have , or the memory leaks created by dbStr so.. there are plenty of stuff that can be achived with DirectX and other libraries and i agree DirectX is really hard.. but needed.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-07-04 11:02:48
Your offset time is: 2024-07-04 11:02:48