Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Loading files from an archive

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2010 01:22 Edited at: 5th Jun 2010 01:24
Ok guys,

This is the current issue that I am facing, I am trying to come up with an effective way of loading files (Models,images,sounds,music,txt,etc) from single archive files, I was looking into Virtual File Systems, and other alternatives, I am wondering what is the best method without rewriting a ton of GDK source of switching from GDK to be able to protect my media but also be able to efficiently load files from the archive without taking the method of loading to temp location, then deleting method

The aim is to create it so that I can essentially load a file to memory and have GDK load it from there so that users cannot tamper with what is in the files themselves, and so that they don't have direct access to the files and there isn't a spiderweb network of media files

Making dreams possible, one line at a time...
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 5th Jun 2010 02:22
i guess you can try to find something like a "pak" open library
the one they use in Quake or such.
personnaly i dont have any knowledge of one but im sure there is one.
alternativly you can write your own incryptor / decryptor but that may take some time to accomplish.

however DBP have one image packer, but its not for GDK.
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=165203&b=5
Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2010 21:28
Anyone else have a suggestion?

Because this may actually be a deciding factor whether or not if I will move on from GDK to something like irrlicht because of the fact that it is very important that I can protect files for various reasons

Willie Mundermuffin
Years of Service
User Offline
Didn't read this, but you could use a file encryption library... Here's an example: http://www.example-code.com/vcpp/encryption.asp from a quick google search.

Life would be easier if I had the source code.
Willie Mundermuffin
Years of Service
User Offline
Actually, I was just looking through an old newsletter and saw your solution about a quarter of the way down the page.... http://www.thegamecreators.com/pages/newsletters/newsletter_issue_84.html

Life would be easier if I had the source code.
Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2010 05:04
Well what I am trying to avoid is having an archive, and extracting a file to HDD then loading it and then deleting it, I need a solution that will allow me to load a file directly from an archive to GDK, so that files cannot be accessed directly by user

I cant use memblocks for various reasons of data loss ,etc

Smartpacker doesnt seem to be the solution, because making an archive isnt the problem, its the method of loading it that is the problem

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-07-04 11:05:33
Your offset time is: 2024-07-04 11:05:33