Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / How can I get the text writing to show over a bitmap image ? PLEASE HELP !!!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2010 05:12
Hey Gang,

I start by saying thanx to anyone who are willing to help me out !

Now the problem is I can't get the text ( and I don't mean texture ) I'm talking about the writing text , e.g. center text, to show over the bitmap image that I have setup as a background. That's only problem No.1

Moving on to problem No.2 which I'm not even sure if I should write this problem in here or post it. Anyway the second problem is I want to use the joystick command to select an option, oh and by the way if you're wondering this is a SNES style Start Screen that I'm trying to make. Here's the code I wrote so far...

It needs some work still but I'm almost there if I can only get the text to show and joystick to move up and down the selected options i'll be good as gold !!!
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2010 10:46
Hi, first of all i don't see any text commands being used so you should probably experiment with the text commands. Secondly, I've heard that the 'GOTO' command is very troublesome so a 'GOSUB' command is probably a better option. Check out the subroutines section of this thread for more info:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=96075&b=7

Hope this helps!!!

A clever person solves a problem, a wise person avoids it - Albert Einstein
tomaszavenger
Years of Service
User Offline
I couldn't help but notice this:

What the hell is this code doing? Would it not be more sensible to decrement the y position?
luskos
Years of Service
User Offline

The above code is how i do it.It uses Matrix1 and cloggy DLL`s

@tomaszavenger:

This code probably is used for game menu where the part you are asking about is the highlight sprite when the menu is choosen.
And as precaution this can be added to it:

Where there is a will, there is a way.
I often edit my posts, that`s who i am
AJAtom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2010 06:12 Edited at: 16th Jun 2010 00:00
My hogposh way

by the way aren't you the one who made those cool sprites

I need a new Avatar
luskos
Years of Service
User Offline
Constantly drawing sprites with paste sprite comand in the main loop can lead to fps drops, using a lot of sprites will slow down the game, i prefer using sprite only because i need to sprite the image once it`ll be there until i tell it without need to redraw it every loop.

Where there is a will, there is a way.
I often edit my posts, that`s who i am
Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2010 16:13
Just to add that when I want text to appear over the top of sprites, I simply make a sprite of the text like so:

This version of the function centers the text and, of course, requires a sprite number, but I've got lots of variants for left and right aligned text and suchlike.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 18:19:36
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 18:19:36