Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Is DarkBasic for me?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2003 22:28
I have experience with 3D modelling, and prgramming in script and visual basic. I've seen code snippets, and they make perfect sense to me. So none of that is a problem.
My question is will DarkBasic do what I want it to do. Can it do a flight simulator?
Or for a better example if I coded Soldier of Fortune II into DarkBasic would it run an play as well or better assuming I used good clean minimal coding?
What are it's extreme limits? For example if the poly count is good not too high or too low say 400 poly's. How many poly's or models can DarkBasic handle at this count? Assuming it also has to run AI code for all but one, etc. I know it's machine dependant, but on a good solid machine capable of running all new games at mid grade settings or better.

Also is there any multiplayer support for DarkBasic or would that be something I would have to code myself? Such as write a server control program, and then internal connection software etc?

Anyway just some General questions. I really hope it can handle what I want. I like the basic language and am familier with it. Cutting out not having to learn an entire new language like C++ will mean more time producing, and less time writing.

He who stands on toilet is high on pot!
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2003 22:39
Quote: "Can it do a flight simulator"

Its more of a case of can YOU do a flight similator ? DBPro should be able to, but doubtful with 'Classic'.

Quote: "What are it's extreme limits?"

Its hard to say - lots of small objects slow things down, I believe but thats about it.

Quote: "if I coded Soldier of Fortune II"

You might be able to if you've got a team to help with the graphics, music, level design etc. Unless your that good with everything.

Quote: "Also is there any multiplayer support for DarkBasic or would that be something I would have to code myself? Such as write a server control program, and then internal connection software etc? "

Network code is built-in or you can write your own.

Avatar & Logo by Indi. Come to the UK DBPro Convention in Chichester
Andrew
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2003 22:47
1 answer, you can do anything.
Any game you have played, you can do it with only time.
When you get DB/DBP it comes with a manual where you can understand everycode there is.
I can now design top quality games now, P.S after you make a good game it's worth getting a copyright like me

I know my codes - i am now more advanced with DBP-
Ask me any question (um not to do with online though :0)
Zen_Budha
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2003 23:26
I'm that good with everything! lol. I wish no I'm pretty good with 3D modelling so long as it's not a human. I can do people I just haven't done it much.
Music well I dunno my taste differ from others I imagine I do play guitar so I am musically inclined.
Graphic's other than 3D modelling aren't a problem to do they just take time.
I understand it's a work intensive idea to want to try and produce a top notch or at least high quality game in 3D by yourself. It's doable though I think. I have a hot laptop, and I spend 8 hours a night doing nothing at work. So I basically have 8 paid hours a night to program, model, etc. I'm security so other than handing out safety glasses, and going to the vending machine for snacks I'm all set lol.
I plan to get everything planned out, and sketched down on paper first. That way I'll know exactly what I want it to do, and can figure out how to do each thing by itself. Versus trying to do it mixed in with everything else.
Good point on can I do a flight simulator. They are very programming intensive. Unlike just walking or driving around which can probably be pretty tricky. Yet calculating airspeeds, turn performance, lift, weight etc. It's all rather complex for sure. Definitely not #1 on my list. Just wanted to know if the code can handle it.
I guess then again it's code so it should handle whatever I tell it to handle right? lol. Funny thing about coding it's like my father says. Writing code is more of an art than a science lol.

So good to know all thanks everyone. I'll likely be ordering soon all in all if done right basic should be faster than C++. Language wise the more advanced the language the further from computer talk it gets. Thus C++ is a very slow advanced language and requires a ton of machine for any real stuff done in it. Which is obvious with todays games. Speed is the thing though who in their right mind would program a 3D shooter in binary? lol.
When I was 5 I used to input binary from the back of computer mags as they were free C-64 games. That is if you didn't mind typing in 6 pages of 1's and 0's lol. I've still got over 500 C-64 games.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2003 23:58
Its pretty fast and should hopefully will get quicker when more patches are introduced. I think all games are doable at a reasonable speed - the only real problem is that a lot of people wont have very fast machines, and so highly detailed graphics wouldn't be good for them...

Avatar & Logo by Indi. Come to the UK DBPro Convention in Chichester
The Dark Padawan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2003 00:15
Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes it is for everybody !!!

well except people who don't want to make games,porgs,or utilities!

"Nintendo GameCube is the best" and " I am nearing the day I become a Jedi" - The Dark Padawan
Zen_Budha
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2003 00:34
Well for starters what I want to do is a 1st person shooter/RPG. Set in a future/fantasy setting in big urban environments. Basically a FPS with a customizable character as it will be more shooter than RPG. I want to incorporate some original idea's as well as some older ideas. If anyone is familier with Shadowrun you sort of have an idea of the settings, style of shooter/RPG I'm thinking of.
Yet there are some things I'll have to get working first. Such as real weapon physic's. Such as bullet drop, velocity, etc. I hate games where the bullets move slow. Example I put the crosshair's on a guy 50 feet away and fire. As I fire he steps sideways, and I miss. I think many games slow down the bullets simply to make cool effects. Sort of eye candy vs play candy lol.
A big bite off the block I know maybe too much. I'll start with a small version of it like just a simple shooter, and work my way up.
I also want to lock it all up where your offline character is the same as your online character. So you have to build up your character offline. That I think will make online play more interesting. As a shooter with every character built up differently. I also want more than just shooting also. Such as Hacking which is very interesting in Shadowrun. Where it will keep the shooter engine, but be in a virtual world inside the game world.
Such as the player plugging into a terminal, and then it boots him into basically an altered level. Instead of weapons, and items he has programs of various degree's of quality. His computer will limit his abilities, and it can be lethal. Being an RPG players will be able to make money, and buy better gear etc.
Also things like body enhancements where when triggered it will allow a sort of Max paign effect of slowed time. Only it's not really slowed your moving faster. Yet enemies can have it too to varying degree's. Thus if you don't they would be super fast, and if you do, and they do it's like the speed doesn't change at all.

It's a lot I know, but I plan to take little steps. I'm focusing more on gameplay fun factor than hot graphics or effects. I think a game thats simply fun to play will long outlast a game that is just fancy.

I want magic in the game as well. Vehicles too. Yeah I know I'm crazy it'll probably end up being a third of what I want. I've got it all locked away in the brain bucket though. I've just got to lay it all out in an orderly fashion, and then figure out how to make it happen. I've already begun on concept art, and 3D modelling of the art. Nothing I'd want to show as I'm still working on them. Trying to keep the polycount as low as possible. Using more texture for details. When I first started modelling I was trying to model in every detail which makes poly count extremely high. When most detail can unoticibly be added in the textures rather than with poly's. The hardest thing will be when I start trying to do people, and creatures. Car's, bikes, aircraft, guns, etc. All seem much easier to me. First I do a 3-view concept drawing. I then scan, and scale the images seperately. Import them as a background into milkshape, and begin shaping the poly's to fit. I also have a digital tablet with a pen which I can draw concept art directly in digital with. Although I still prefer the pen and paper method.
The hardest part will be coding in my damage system. I hate health bars, and hit points. It'll have some form of notifying the player of damage but it will be vague. Something like a face picture that changes at varying levels. Some sound cue's.
Anyway I'll stop or I'll get on the idea train, and this thread will end up being my game rough draft, and 100 pages long.

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2003 01:20
I am digging those "Raven-Length" posts
nice

-RUST-
zzabb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2003 02:38
i say cool!!!! and good luck
remember the journey is most of the fun (-:

there are aspects of all the things you want in a game in the tutorials, code area, code snippets and 20line contests

just put it all together and you'll have it (-:

good luck

My advice is free -
unfortunately you get what you pay for (-:
The Dark Padawan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2003 02:51
Good Luck "Lol" ET

"Nintendo GameCube is the best" and " I am nearing the day I become a Jedi" - The Dark Padawan
Zen_Budha
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2003 03:12
Yeah I want to keep it simple, clean, good looking, and fun. When I say good looking not like Shrek lol. I mean enough object detail to know what it is, and look decent with a low enough size that you can have tons of objects in action. Even on a slower machine like a P III 800mhz or so.
I want the player to be able to go into seedy bars. Pick up jobs from different people and places. Or go a career path with a company etc. So lots of different roles, tons of tech stuff, and lots of guns, explosives, etc. Good guns, bad guns, cheap guns, expensive guns. The ability to modify the guns or have them modified etc.
Buy various equipment and gear. Full immersion in role play wise with good action as well. I would also like to implement different solid types so as certain weapons will fire through them, and others won't. Also destructable surfaces like hiding behind the stack of wooden crates may cover you for a minute. In a minute though it's no longer going to stop that maniac with an Uzi from cutting through to you.
I also want damage to be extreme. Not that stand there and get shot while shooting to see who dies first. No instant medpac stuff either although there may be some things which give you a temporary boost. Like a drug that may keep you alive even after you actually dead. Yet in a couple of minutes your dead no matter what as it won't keep you alive.
I think something like that would go to add a lot of strategy to the fighting. Also you can't stroll around carrying you ZX-4 quadrouple heat seeking missle launcher. Cops don't like it, and most places have rules about bringing them into it. Thus it would be tuff to get caught off guard in a convenience store buying smokes if some mobsters on contract came in after you. All you have is some cheap concealable 9mm, and a extra mag. Let the Frito's fly! lol.

Plus having a reputation in game. Thus botching jobs lowers your rep, and doing good ups it. A good rep gets you hot jobs while a bad one means you get to go into the sewers hunting rats trying to make a living.
A good rep will affect job offers, street prices, and unlock places you couldn't go before. Like the back room of that seedy bar with the slot in the door, and the 400lb bouncer that tells you to get lost or he'll pummel your face into ground beef.
Ok I post to much, and talk too much. I'm doodling on some paper on some concept art at the moment. Starting to get pretty hype up. I enjoy drawing, and 3D modelling. Programming is boring, and a headache untill you get it to do what you want. Then you feel goo about it.

HardBoot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2003 06:21
Shadowrun!!!!!

this game is sounding sweet. Good luck!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 01:06:27
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 01:06:27