Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Online DarkGDK Reference

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2010 05:54
Well, the community here at TGC Forums has given me so much help and insight on my dream that after college that I am going to create/program video games. I want to give back to the community.

Since my website DarkGDK.us hasn't really worked out as I had planned it to. I've decided to turn it into an online DarkGDK reference.

I still want to have some sort of community driven website, and I just don't want to have content that was just cut and pasted from the desktop reference, I want to sort of want to have a community created reference library.

I'm still working on adding all of the commands and stuff from the desktop reference, and the features of it are not fully done. But I think it's currently good right now to show people and get some feedback on it.

http://ref.darkgdk.us/

Right now, I've only got the first 6 categories' commands added, so I'm still working on getting the rest up.

One more thing:
Since about 99% of the content up there is from TGC's DarkGDK reference, it is technically their stuff up on there. If anyone from the TGC staff asks me to pull the site because their documentation is up there, I will do so.

Other than that, comments, questions, advice?

http://ref.darkgdk.us/ <- Online DarkGDK Refernece. More content coming soon.
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 18th Jun 2010 08:51
its a nice affort, but we have the refrece...
maybe a tutorial page can do good?
jezza
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2010 16:36
You could always just finish
http://darkgdk.wikia.com/wiki/

Cuddle Bunniezzz 12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2010 01:15
@haliop

Yes, I should post up some tutorials, but I'd rather get this done.

@jezza

I was looking for some sort of programming project to do on my own, and I don't necessarily like Wikia since their ads profit off of other people's work.

As for getting more stuff up on the reference:
My laptop's charger decided to brake and now I'm stuck using my mom's old computer that has linux installed on it. I'll try to add another section in about 2-3 days (a.k.a. when I will be able to get a new charger).

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2010 14:31 Edited at: 22nd Jun 2010 08:47
Quote: "Yes, I should post up some tutorials, but I'd rather get this done."

Hi Cuddle Bunniezzz 12, the online reference is a cool idea and I always wondered why TGC didn't have one. My only conclusion is that they didn't desire one, which is why your following quote could render all that work useless.

Quote: "One more thing:
Since about 99% of the content up there is from TGC's DarkGDK reference, it is technically their stuff up on there. If anyone from the TGC staff asks me to pull the site because their documentation is up there, I will do so."

I highly recommend getting consent from TGC before you continue.

I would also recommend anyone new to DGDK & C++ to visit www.cplusplus.com for tuts on C++ and seek out tuts for VC++ IDE before digging deep into DGDK. DGDK is setup in a procedural manner and all of the DBPro tuts could be easily translated for DGDK use. However, the IDE in itself can be a challenge. Once you're exposed to the power of C++, you can code with DGDK in ways far beyond any tut.

_Pauli_
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2010 18:39
@Cuddle Bunniezzz:
Yes, I like the idea, too.
I think the reference that came with DarkGDK sucks in many places. Some commands aren't even in there, some have wrong descriptions/syntax, there is no linking between relevant commands. The list goes on and on...

Now the plot thickens, the fps decreases, and the awesomeness goes through the roof.
Hayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2010 00:07
well, how can I add examples on how to use different functions?

Keep it simple.
Questions? Mail me
Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2010 00:55
Cuddle Bunniezzz 12, if you really want to continue with that, i'd suggest you to write tutorials and some detailed info about vague functions instead of re-writing the docs for GDK, it would be REALLY helpful to many many people, and if you will do so, remember to keep them as simple as you can as they are directed to starters, who knows, posting such tutorials might make your post a sticky

Cuddle Bunniezzz 12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2010 17:51
@Hayer

I haven't added that feature yet, hold on till I get the rest of the reference online.

@Hassan
What vague functions are you talking about?

Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2010 18:30
i cant really remember them right now, i dont have gdk docs, but i remember that alot of functions had "missing" or "undetailed" description, for example:

void setobjectstate ( int state );

state: the state of the object

(the function doesnt exist, and even if it does, this is just an example)
so there, it's saying that state is the state, ok then what? what are the available states? what do they do?
not to mention the huge lack of details

also, it would help adding a little code showing how the function is used for a specific purpose

_Pauli_
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2010 18:37 Edited at: 25th Jun 2010 18:39
Yeah right, I think Hassan means something like this:
(from the original DarkGDK Reference)

Quote: "dbSetBlendMappingOn
This command will set the blending map for the specified object. Blended textures are combined with the main texture to create a multitextured object. The Blend value is the mode used to create the blend effect.

Syntax
void dbSetDetailMappingOn ( int iObject, int iImage )"

There are a couple of issues:
- What is a blending map?
- The blend value isn't even mentioned in the syntax!
- What are possible blend values and what is their purpose
- Did you see it? The syntax is for dbSetDetailMapping! No joke, I just copy-pasted the page from the reference.

Now what is this ugly piece of reference good for? Useless...

Now the plot thickens, the fps decreases, and the awesomeness goes through the roof.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-07-04 10:22:34
Your offset time is: 2024-07-04 10:22:34