Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Start small with big in mind or small with small in mind???

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi everyone,

When I get home from work tonight I'm going to install my DB stuff and go through the tutorials. Since I have a game planned out already, and once I'm done with the tutorials, would you recommend that I do just small games to get a feel for how to do it OR should I build the pieces of my main game and learn as I do that? I have some C++ background though not extensive. Anyone's thoughts are welcome. Thanks.

Gadget
luskos
Years of Service
User Offline
I would suggest you to start with small game at first until you wrap your head arround the language.Tetris, pong, clone attack.My first game was TicTacToe.It was extremely simple, but it was buggy.I lost the source, but if i start rewriting it now it`ll work like miricle without any doubt.

This is TDK`s tutorial thread in DBC corner, you probably would miss it.Go trought all this and you can begin with your game.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=99497&b=10

You can allways ask here for help.The answer won`t be late.

Coding is My Kung Fu!
And My Kung Fu is better than Yours!
Sergeant Mike
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2010 21:44
Write your big ideas down, and turn them into actual game design documents. Don't work on the fly. I suggest starting small, but at the same time have fun, and make a game that is upgradable. You may chose to make a 'pong' game, but then have another version where you can pick the color bat to play with, then maybe later have the user select the difficulty etc. This way you build upon what you previously had by changing a few things. Not only will this motivate you to keep going, but will give you a good learning process.

The Few.. The Proud.. The Marines
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2010 22:43
From your list of big ideas, break it down to what you need, like will it need camera control or second camera, there two to learn how too use.

Will it be moving a model around the screen, then learn how to move and animate the model.

will your game need a menu to start it or pick weapons.

lots of version of the above are on here already but they may need to be changed to work how you need them.

Good Luck.

Dark Physics makes any hot drink go cold.
Derekioh
Years of Service
User Offline
Yea, as everyone says, just do small for right now. but if you really must, do you big idea, but in small pieces (like what howdo said).

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 18:21:55
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 18:21:55