Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Professional Game Development kits vs DarkGDK

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi there,

I have been fooling around with dark gdk for quiet a while now and I have loved it so far, however I was wondering if I am on the right track to professional game development. I mean how different are professional game development kits from something like dark gdk? They can't be this simple can they?

I coded a very neat replica of Mortal Kombat 2 in less than 3 days by blending dark gdk with C++'s object oriented capability and got a very queasy feeling... it just didn't feel right. It was too easy.. so yeah, is dark gdk going to be useful down the road or should I explore some new horizons?
Poof Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Well if your looking for a challenge then working with the Unreal Development Kit would be.It's used throughout the industry and is free to everyone. Now form what I get in your post this my be a bit to much. There is a lot to the Unreal Engine that you have to learn just to get going but really the possibilities with it are endless. You can look at it here http://www.udk.com/ But again that might not be the scope of what your going for.
SPI
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow, I didn't know UDK was free to all. I will definitely give it a shot, think I could find a good book or even some tutorials online? Thanks again for bringing this to my attention.
Poof Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Well there are some really good tutorials out there for just getting started here is the one that I like:
http://forecourse.com/unreal-tutorials/
Goes through the creation of your own game type and what programs to use for editing the code and what not.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-07-04 11:02:31
Your offset time is: 2024-07-04 11:02:31