Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / What to do next?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2010 21:24 Edited at: 4th Jul 2010 23:25
Yeah, sorry about all the posts I'm making in this board. Anyway, I was just wondering what I should do next in C++. I took a tutorial on all this stuff from a tutorial on the C++ part of www.cprogramming.com (put the lessons in a code snippet to save space)

I understand pretty much all of it with the acception of Random numbers, because the tutorial says you can only have one range of numbers to be randomly selected for the whole program (i.e. a random number between 1 and 6, but thats it, for the whole program), and templates and macros, which are written in a more complicated way (probably by some other person) than the other lessons, can somebody help me with that? Anyway, what should I learn about after that?

I want to make a game, but start really small, like pong or something (in C++ without GDK, while continuing my DBPro FPS wip with GDK). Is there some stuff I don't understand or isn't in this tutorial that I should learn about before I try making it? I wanted to use direct x to make it, since that's what I want to use in the future to make 3d games.

I have a lot of plans for the future (probably farther in the future than I'd like), like using WinSock, Havok, making DBPro plugins (I know how to make the .dlls, but how do you implement them into DBPro?) and ultimately, make a game engine I can use for 2D and 3D stuff. But where would I learn to do all of that, and what's some stuff I should know before trying to do any of that stuff?

I know I could use GDK, but I kind of want to make a career out of making games (since I have a lot of time to get better at it) and I'd have to split from GDK eventually. Sorry if that didn't make sense. Thanks in advance

Edit: Made paragraphs the way you said

cout<<"I'm learning C++, and this is all I know \n"
Fatal Berserker
Years of Service
User Offline
Man, you should use paragraphs and breaks in your threads.

Atm when i read your thread its just one huge wall of text which is really displeasing to read.

Quote: "Anyway, what should I learn about after that? I want to make a game, but start really small, like pong or something (in C++ without GDK, while continuing my DBPro FPS wip with GDK)"

You should try the other languages forum (i think its called), because this forum is C++ with GDK.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-02 09:00:41
Your offset time is: 2024-10-02 09:00:41