Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Are chatrooms dead?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2003 07:22
For understandable reasons, MSN have closed down their chatrooms.
Is this the begining of the end for the humble chatroom? Will others follow MSN's example? Should they?

I've never used one and probably never will, but I thought these things were strictly monitored. Is there no such thing as a safe chatroom?

Programming anything is an art, and you can't rush art.
Unless your name is Bob Ross, then you can do it in thirty minutes.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2003 07:52
Microsoft are taking down thier chatrooms for several reasons.
Currently there are multiple lawsuits against Microsoft pertaining to incidents not dissimilar to the US Marine one earlier this year.

Although chatroom attacks are few and far between, the number is growing worryingly - kids aren't taking enough precautions because they think thier safe, and sick individuals are taking more and more advantage of this.
The real major push to finally close them however are the recent MSBlast attacks ... this affected almost the entire Microsoft Network and crippled thier operations for over a week.

Attacks like this are also becomming more and more dangerous and commonplace as well. Alot of Anti-Microsoft groups and individuals are really starting campaigns for lack of a better word of terrorism.
The Chatrooms were the stepping-stone for the MSBlast virus, which very very quickly infected an estimated 4million systems within a matter of a week.

Quite frankly everything that Microsoft has had to endure the past year with alot escellation and media coverage, it is surprising that they have kept these rooms online as long as they have.
To be honest i'm getting truely sick of the current Anti-Microsoft stance from people...

quite frankly alot of the online behaviour now is just sickening.

Easily Confused
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2003 07:59 Edited at: 24th Sep 2003 08:10
Quote: "quite frankly alot of the online behaviour now is just sickening."

Agreed. So now that the MSN chatrooms are off the air, who is the next biggest target for these attackers and drooling perverts?

Programming anything is an art, and you can't rush art.
Unless your name is Bob Ross, then you can do it in thirty minutes.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2003 08:10
my guess is Yahoo!

Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2003 08:33
nope... IRC is the target and always has been the target.

A Dream is a Dream unless it is Real
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2003 08:39
Irc is a different bag of chips to MsnChat and Yahoo!Chat

Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2003 08:50
Good point... But IRC is getting pretty bad.. i can't even get into a Good politacal debate anymore..

A Dream is a Dream unless it is Real
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2003 12:00 Edited at: 24th Sep 2003 12:00
Quote: "I thought these things were strictly monitored. Is there no such thing as a safe chatroom?"

Anyone can set up a chatroom on a chat server. You can literally have thousands of chatrooms on one server, centrally monitoring them is impossible. It's up to the creator to monitor, delegate or whatever.

BatVink (formerly StevieVee)
http://facepaint.me.uk/catalog/default.php
lagmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 24th Sep 2003 13:32
wow i wondered when msnchat would go down. now it has finally come

i guess yahoo will be the next target since it has built in voice and webcam.

irc is hard to shutdown since there are 100's of networks and can be run of different ports. anyone can create a irc server since the protocol is easy to use.

lagmasteruk - lagmaster.net is alive! r.nash@ntlworld.com
specs: new specs: amd xp 2000+, 512mb ram, ati radeon 9000 pro dvi, 180gb total hdd capasity, custom built
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2003 20:02
Chat rooms are crap, you either get some yo-yo would's being an ass to everyone, a mod that's got an itchy ban finger, or someone wanting to "cyber". Ya know, most of the people that asked to cyber with my were under 18, some were young as 10.

DDR is the best form of exercise money can buy.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 13:41:58
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 13:41:58